XR300 geofiltering is broken

So, I've had issues with connections being allowed on the XR300 that shouldn't have been. Ones outside my radius and 0 ping assist. This problem was most evident in destiny 2 matchmaking where it would eventually connect you to an undesirable peer. The thought was this may be D2s servers.

However, today I setup the XR500, exactly the same geofiltering settings as previous testing and NO undesirable connections. Not one!

Strikes, nothing. Crucible, nothing. Social spaces nothing.

I assume some testing will take place. The thing to test is matchmaking in strikes and crucible. With radius set to min in remote location and 0 ping assist, the XR500 blocks all connections. The XR300 does not.

I'm happy to help however I can, although I've boxed up my XR300 😁

18 hours ago, gcharma said:

Funny but I just found the same thing myself... I was wondering if I just didn't configure the system correctly or what (I'm testing in Destiny as well). Still got a couple weeks before I go past my return date, but... yikes. Not impressed so far.

Thing is it might be an easy firmware fix. Might be worth sending it back until it's fixed.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I believe you posted about this in a different topic and Alex mentioned he'll test if there is a difference between them.

I started this thread as I didn't want what is a big problem to be buried inside someone elses thread. This isn't just a Destiny problem, and anyone looking for help needs a place to ask for it and see what's going on.

Edit: to remove the cocky reply, I'm in a bad mood and shouldn't be taking it out here 🤣

I'm interested to k ow this. I did play against some very laggy opponents in D2 today but overall my connection seemed to be more stable. I, for whatever reason, cant have a low ping say in the 40's in d2 . I dont k ow if it's a routing problem or a p2p problem. Overwatch I rock out a solid 35-50 depending on time of day. Was hoping this router would help more in d2 and maybe fix some of my routes my internet takes. I ran a few trace routes before this router and legit time out after 6 

I'm pretty sure that your router can't affect the route that your connection takes to get to its destination, at least not outside of your property. That's kind of dependant on your ISP.

The Geo-Filter can only block connections to servers, fooling the game into thinking that server is unavailable, thus forcing the game to use one that's closer to you.

Destiny 2 has a lot of unusual stuff going on with their servers, sometimes meaning that Geo-Filter cannot block a distant opponent because that opponent is being routed through a dedicated server near to you. Obviously blocking this server would also block access to all game services. This is one of the problems with "live service games", as they cannot trust you to make pure peer to peer connections because data on leveling, gear and microtransactions is stored in the server rather than on your machine.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Tha_kk said:

Oooo that makes sense. Question. If I switched to fiber optic would that help my routing or would it still stay the same ?

It really depends, upgrading speeds doesn't always mean a better base ping/stability. I would think that fiber optic would be better than ADSL etc in most cases though. I'd suggest finding an ISP that can offer it in your area and asking them what your base ping would be to get a good idea.

I have seen online that some gaming focused ISPs say that they will always use the fastest routes to game servers. I don't know how they can guarantee this and I haven't tried them myself, but these ISPs do exist.

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm having a similar problem with my XR 300 everything seems to be working correctly but I'm being put on different servers for example I'm playing gears 5 and I select my radius around East coast server, but I'm being put on the South Central, North Central and even Europe servers. I'm currently using my PC. I also tried Valorant and it's doing the same thing I can actually see the host I'm connecting to but it's outside my radius. I'm from South Florida.

I tried putting my position in the ocean with ping assist of 40 I tried rebooting the router. My IP matches up with my PC. I have my device set to Xbox one.

Last year I was playing Black ops 4 on my Xbox one and it work perfect.  now that I switch to PC it's giving me a problem not sure if I need a second monitor? because I'm just using one monitor. 

I haven't used it in a while and I just hooked it up and did the hotfix patch so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. 

Thank for your time.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Silverclips said:

Hello, I'm having a similar problem with my XR 300 everything seems to be working correctly but I'm being put on different servers for example I'm playing gears 5 and I select my radius around East coast server, but I'm being put on the South Central, North Central and even Europe servers. I'm currently using my PC. I also tried Valorant and it's doing the same thing I can actually see the host I'm connecting to but it's outside my radius. I'm from South Florida.

I tried putting my position in the ocean with ping assist of 40 I tried rebooting the router. My IP matches up with my PC. I have my device set to Xbox one.

Last year I was playing Black ops 4 on my Xbox one and it work perfect.  now that I switch to PC it's giving me a problem not sure if I need a second monitor? because I'm just using one monitor. 

I haven't used it in a while and I just hooked it up and did the hotfix patch so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it. 

Thank for your time.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you provide a screenshot of the entire Geo-Filter page when you're in a game and seeing this issue please?

I was able to play few matches of Valorant, not sure if it's added to geofilter but here's the screenshot. I'm trying to connect on east coast dedicated but it's connected me to host from Kansas or Oklahoma. I played back to back and same host I think, Hard to tell from second screenshot. I'm going to try and hookup my second monitor Tuesday and try Gears of war 5.

IMG_20200712_211654.jpg

IMG_20200712_211710.jpg

This time I tested it with gears of war 5 and you can clearly see that I'm trying to get on the East coast dedicated server but it connected me to Europe.

I'm not sure what's going on but if someone can please test the xr300 with the new hotfix patch.

I don't have any other games that I can test this with. 

I'm from South Florida, Miami, just in case you need to know my location.

Thank you.

IMG_20200713_190319.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please test this using the PC because right now it's not working at all. I mean it's working but I can't pick the East coast I keep getting connected to South Central when I play gears of war 5. It's not doing what it's supposed to be doing. 

I did some testing for myself and I reverted back to firmware 00-V1.0.3.34_10.3.27. and now it's working perfectly I connected each time to the east coast server with gears of war 5 but now I don't have the hotfix for the Netgear vulnerability issues.

• Administrators

Not sure why that would have made a difference but you should be fine on that firmware. We're aiming to get the beta out as soon as possible so hopefully it will perform the same on that as well.