qBittorrent & High Priority Traffic Issue

Hi,

I just bought an XR500 and noticed that whenever I launch qBittorrent it is being shown as high priority traffic. This in turn is activating my anti-bufferbloat speeds. I would like to know how to resolve this issue. Is there a port I need to use so it does not activate high priority traffic ? I know if I disable "DumaOS Classified Games" it no longer activates high priority traffic when using qBittorrent. While this is a temp solution I am looking for a permanent solution. Where I can have DumaOS Classified Games and qbitorrent running at the same time without it being recognized as high priority traffic. Thanks

51 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you first disable uTp on the torrent software please and also find out the port it is using, it should tell you on the program.

I disabled uTp and selected TCP as the only protocol and I still have the same issue. I have tried a bunch of random ports but they all cause the same issue. I am right now on Incoming port 2857.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thanks for trying, we may need to update our classification to ensure this doesn't get detected. Could you try port 1023 please and see if that stops it from being prioritized?

I think using port 1023 did it. It is no longer activating high priority traffic. I will keep monitoring it to make sure but it looks good. Thanks! :)

• 4 months later...
On 7/14/2019 at 2:01 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thanks for trying, we may need to update our classification to ensure this doesn't get detected. Could you try port 1023 please and see if that stops it from being prioritized?

Hey there, I'm having the same issue this person is having. I don't understand what you told him though, what should I do with the 1023 port?

Also, another issue happens is that when I open Qbitorrent and it starts being shown as high priority traffic If I close QBittorent, the red light for the high priority traffic still stays on no matter what. Even if I disable DumaOS Classified Games, It still says on. The only way to fix this issue is to do a full reboot...

Another issue I have is that when I play some games even without starting Qbitorrent at all. Once, I exit the game the red light still stays on. I think this is a sperate issue, but your traffic priority is definitely bugged and is not working like it should!

Can you please help...

DumaOS Classified Games

2 hours ago, Ownsin said:

Hey there, I'm having the same issue this person is having. I don't understand what you told him though, what should I do with the 1023 port?

Also, another issue happens is that when I open Qbitorrent and it starts being shown as high priority traffic If I close QBittorent, the red light for the high priority traffic still stays on no matter what. Even if I disable DumaOS Classified Games, It still says on. The only way to fix this issue is to do a full reboot...

Another issue I have is that when I play some games even without starting Qbitorrent at all. Once, I exit the game the red light still stays on. I think this is a sperate issue, but your traffic priority is definitely bugged and is not working like it should!

Can you please help...

I believe that Fraser was telling him to change the port that qBittorrent uses to 1023.

I don't know why the High Priority Traffic light would be stuck but I recall the devs saying that they had a fix ready for this one. At the very least we're aware of the bug.

35 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I believe that Fraser was telling him to change the port that qBittorrent uses to 1023.

I don't know why the High Priority Traffic light would be stuck but I recall the devs saying that they had a fix ready for this one. At the very least we're aware of the bug.

I have changed the port inside qBitorrent to 1023 and that still hasn't fixed the issue.

Btw, I'm playing on a PC, but I have my PC set as a Playstation in the device manager section to make the Geo-Filter work.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Right, and which Traffic Prioritization rules are you using?

DumaOS Classified Games. I have to have this on because otherwise, the High Priority Traffic detection wouldn't work when I'm playing online games on my PC.

42 minutes ago, Ownsin said:

DumaOS Classified Games. I have to have this on because otherwise, the High Priority Traffic detection wouldn't work when I'm playing online games on my PC.

It might, if we specifically entered the ports for the games you ARE playing...

But yeah there must be a port we can set qBittorrent to that won't trigger it. Unless it's the type of traffic that's triggering it?

I recall there being an option in qBittorrent that could mess with this... Something like uTP

4 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

It might, if we specifically entered the ports for the games you ARE playing...

But yeah there must be a port we can set qBittorrent to that won't trigger it. Unless it's the type of traffic that's triggering it?

I recall there being an option in qBittorrent that could mess with this... Something like uTP

I have turned off uTP, and it still triggers it, I'm also using the TCP protocol as you can see here. tUdhXU1.png

Honestly, the more significant issue as well is that even if I don't launch qBitorrent at all and play any online game. When I close it, the red light doesn't go off no matter what unless I reboot the router, that's a deal-breaker right there.

• Administrators

When you changed the port and talk about launching the program, is it already active in your system tray? If so exit it completely from there and then boot up the program again and see if it triggers it. Have you made any other rules on Traffic Prio at all? If it's not going off then take a look at prioritized packets - even if you see it go up by 1 per minute then there is still something on causing it to be prioritized e.g. maybe Steam is active in the system tray. If the prioritized packets never go up and thats a bug that the devs have said they have a fix for but can't roll it out yet.

32 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you changed the port and talk about launching the program, is it already active in your system tray? If so exit it completely from there and then boot up the program again and see if it triggers it. Have you made any other rules on Traffic Prio at all? If it's not going off then take a look at prioritized packets - even if you see it go up by 1 per minute then there is still something on causing it to be prioritized e.g. maybe Steam is active in the system tray. If the prioritized packets never go up and thats a bug that the devs have said they have a fix for but can't roll it out yet.

I have made no rules on traffic priority at all. qbitorrent is completely closed even in the tray. I found out now that Teamspeak and Steam also trigger it. I have no idea how to whitelist them from detection.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You'll either have to close them down properly each time or not use DumaOS Classified Games and make manual port rules for the games you're playing so it will only trigger when playing them.

I recorded a video explaining my issue in further detail.

• Administrators

No worries, totally understand the issue but thank you for the video. As Alex mentioned the devs already have a fix for the issue you've described but I couldn't say when that would come. The only way around it at the moment that I could see is to disable DumaOS Classified Games and make custom port rules for the game, if the bug is with DumaOS Classified Games then this should resolve the issue and will trigger on/off when you're playing games.

8 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No worries, totally understand the issue but thank you for the video. As Alex mentioned the devs already have a fix for the issue you've described but I couldn't say when that would come. The only way around it at the moment that I could see is to disable DumaOS Classified Games and make custom port rules for the game, if the bug is with DumaOS Classified Games then this should resolve the issue and will trigger on/off when you're playing games.

But how would I know the ports for each game I play? this seems like a hassle.

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, Ownsin said:

But how would I know the ports for each game I play? this seems like a hassle.

The developer/publisher of each game should have this readily available in their respective knowledge bases however if you go to this site and search for your games then it will have them all listed there: https://portforward.com/

I'd recommend you copy down all the ports for the games you play first and then you may be able to combine the ports into ranges so you don't have to make as many rules.

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The developer/publisher of each game should have this readily available in their respective knowledge bases however if you go to this site and search for your games then it will have them all listed there: https://portforward.com/

I'd recommend you copy down all the ports for the games you play first and then you may be able to combine the ports into ranges so you don't have to make as many rules.

This is why I said this would be a hassle, just look at the UDP ports for just one game: QAzu5De.png

Sadly, if this is the only solution then I'm pretty disappointed. The feature is completely broken and I have no idea what to do at this point.

• Administrators

That does look like a lot of rules but bundling them together you could do:

TCP 61088

UDP: 4380, 20000 - 20099,

TCP/UDP: 27015 - 27037

Which is 4 rules instead of 7 or just 3 instead of 4 if just doing UDP. It's very quick to do, just keep source as the default. Unfortunately that's all I could suggest until the fix is available.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That does look like a lot of rules but bundling them together you could do:

TCP 61088

UDP: 4380, 20000 - 20099,

TCP/UDP: 27015 - 27037

Which is 4 rules instead of 7 or just 3 instead of 4 if just doing UDP. It's very quick to do, just keep source as the default. Unfortunately that's all I could suggest until the fix is available.

Thank you, but I won't be doing that for every game that I play, that's not what I bought this router for, I didn't buy it, so I have to manually input all the ports for the games I play. This router wasn't cheap, and It definitely shouldn't have a broken feature like this not being fixed for so long. I even saw a post about this issue from December 2018, that's one year ago! And nothing has been done about it whatsoever so far...

• Administrators

That's why I mentioned about finding all the games you play first because most of the time they will use the same ports so those rules there might work for all the games you're playing with just maybe one or two rules to add. If you let me know the games you play I'll combine them into the smallest amount of rules so you can just add them quickly. I do understand the frustration and in the past it's happened but usually due to a service/application still running in the background, having also seen it happen not in those circumstances we've got a fix for it but I realise it's not much comfort when you don't know when that is coming. All I can do is apologise and help you as best I can to workaround that for now.