XR500 - LAN config - Devices - Static Ip wrong and feature missing

I'm adding a secondary (old) router to manage a non covered area.

I've set static IP 10.0.0.3 but see pictures ! ! !

... and as "device type" there is no "router"  but everything else 🙂

Help

Alain

2019-07-03 23 31 42.jpg

2019-07-03 23 31 09.jpg

4 hours ago, Sunaikinti said:

I had same problem. Just reboot xr500. It may show two ips on the x2000, but it will eventually drop the unused ip. There is no router setting. I just left it as computer.

Thanks, good suggestion!
I rebooted.

The X2000 disappeared.
a) it's wired
b) it's ON
c) I can connect to his WiFi

No idea why it disappeared and how to reconnect it

Alain

2019-07-04 06 38 46.jpg

image.thumb.png.f601977d4ef2941a9073c5c230a4ebca.png

Thanks, I followed another tutorial.
(could not thrust my memory anymore)

It's a Lan-Lan connection I've set.
(for secondary X2000 - no DHCP - both connection side on Static IP pointing x.x.x.3  -  )

I can access X2000 via it's own WiFi but not through XR500 😞

instead of only via it's own WiFi.....

BUT
still the XR500 refuse to recognize a competitor 🙂 and give it the due respect !!!
(and keep telling "it's off line")

Help

Alain

2019-07-04 19 20 12.jpg

2019-07-04 19 19 44.jpg

UPDATE2:
Tried the same old trick on the NEW guy... but the XR500 ignored it.
(saved and reloaded config - rebooted it)

Same as before.

I can ping 10.0.0.3 no problem, I can access it ... but I cannot make XR500 see it 🙂

PS:
Anybody knows how to get and visualize the DHCP lease table on XR500?

(the only putative way I discovered so far is: Setting - LAN - Static IP - ADD ... and it show the Devices it recognize.)

But no X2000 !!

Alain

It won't recognize it as a router. That option is not available yet. As for the device manager, .40 firmware has a known problem with devices not going on or offline. The .32 firmware device manager seems to work ok,  but you loose ping assist and hybrid VPN. In the device manager, next to the network map, change it from tree to table to see all devices and ips.

1 hour ago, Sunaikinti said:

It won't recognize it as a router. That option is not available yet. As for the device manager, .40 firmware has a known problem with devices not going on or offline. The .32 firmware device manager seems to work ok,  but you loose ping assist and hybrid VPN. In the device manager, next to the network map, change it from tree to table to see all devices and ips.

OH, OK...
Thanks, I didn't knew there was a bug 😞

the list I'm referring is the lease table with time (from DHCP)
It's a router's common feature.
Not Devices ...  this one in pic!

Alain
image.thumb.png.17460a0a288ab3588e0bef5793fe31b2.png

No lease table time either. If you check your logs, it's constantly doing lease changes. I believe this is another bug. I set my network like this: modem to xr500 nothing on. No wireless, dhcp, readyshare, ect... My ps4 is set up static in the console. Then I cascaded another router running openwrt , lan to wan, on a different subnet to control all other devices. Haven't had one issue since. This way I can use the geofilter and set qos priority to my ps4. I also use upnp no problem. Then in the openwrt router, you can deny specific ports to the other network under upnp. So I deny 3074 and 9308 in the openwrt upnp. On the xr500 qos, I set it to max speeds 1000 up and down. Set bufferbloat to never. Then let openwrt handle the qos for the rest of the network. Thus giving my ps4 max speeds, priority, and no antibufferbloat needed. I no longer get that shoot first die first in Call of Duty games.

hmmm . I get what you say.... I think my issues and goals  are a little different.

Here my network/LAN:
I have Ethernet cables all around the house, but many devices are only WIFI.
I use Static IP on several devices that need to be reachable from the NET. ( Solar Inverter, Printer, Androids, Domotics)
Main PC is on Cable with Static IP.
To have not to worry about changes (from ISP or others requirement)  I've separate the Home-Network management using a specific Home-Router.

* Isp Fiber 's router (192.168.1.1 - DHCP - WIFI "ISP-Router" - used as front end to the NET but nothing else)
* My LAN router is Wan to LAN.  (10.0.0.1 - DHCP - WIFI "Home-Router" *******)

Home-Router was an R6400 perfectly working but hard to manage.
.... XR500 replace it using the same config.  R6400 will be DDR-WRT 'd for future uses.

With that stable and fully working situation I wanted to solve a WiFi coverage issue in two specific home areas.
Both have cables available. The easiest way is to plug there an old router..... as an extender.

Available: x2000, r6400.

I'd used that x2000 in the past to temporary cover areas.
As I'm doing now, but........... Cannot replicate the success I had with the R6400 as Home-Router .... no idea why.

Alain

Guest Killhippie
2 hours ago, Sunaikinti said:

I also have a r7000 wired lan to lan from the r7500 downstairs as an AP. So it's almost same setup as yours. Hopefully the new firmware will be out soon and solve a lot of the problems with this router.

Its been long enough, 7 months almost. Guess Netgear are either re-writing the firmware from ground up (unlikely) of it keeps failing QA (more likely) No updates for the R7800 either, which although simpler and without DumaOS I tend to think of as a much better router when using Voxels firmware.

Milestone 1.3 has been a mess and it could have been patched but I'm guess not enough devs to do both milestone 1.4 and patch 1.3. Not a great business model, people like bugs being patched generally. I mean the network table bug has been with us along with all the others since December last year. Maybe Netgear will catch on one day and patch quarterly like they used to... (after all this is a Netgear router with all its out of date packages like OpenSSL and miniupnd 1.0 still being over a decade old) with DumaOS as an overlay that still does not support IPv6 in 2019 and has issues with PPPoE which many big ISPs use and yes these things bug the hell out of me because they should work along with UPnP. Sorry if this post sounds somewhat bitter and cynical but after running this router from the get go its been the buggiest most annoying piece of kit I have ever had from Netgear. Ive had alpha build/beta devices that worked better than the XR500. <sigh> Maybe this weekend the update will appear, I wont hold my breath though...  :(

I agree. I've always bought netgear products. R7000, R7500, XR500, all my switches are netgear. The XR500 will be the last netgear product I ever buy. I think a lot of us feel the same sour taste. Like being ripped off $300. Voxels firmware is updated all the time and thats just one guy doing it all alone for free. Netgear should be ashamed and will lose lots of customers over this fiasco. I posted about filing a complaint with the BBB and the administrator deleted it. Lmfao!

• Administrators

We're aware of that issue, are you on the latest firmware? If so downgrade to the previous firmware and it should work, let us know. I think it's an issue specifically with the latest firmware.

51 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We're aware of that issue, are you on the latest firmware? If so downgrade to the previous firmware and it should work, let us know. I think it's an issue specifically with the latest firmware.

who are you referring to Fraser?
Me or another on the thread ?

So far I cannot make the X2000 a working slave to the XR500.
(no internet  connection )

Maybe tomorrow I will test the R6400 instead.

Alain

He's referring to the device manager not working correctly. Like I already said, it's a known bug. The .32 firmware device manager works,  but you'll lose a couple features.

12 minutes ago, Sunaikinti said:

He's referring to the device manager not working correctly.

You're wrong ... my question referring to....  this part of the sentence:

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

...  are you on the latest firmware? ....

WHO?

Alain

Yes, if you're on the .40 firmware, he wants you to downgrade to the .32 firmware. Then the xr500 will recognize the x2000 as online. Reset the x2000 with a paperclip and put your settings back in. They are correct. Then reboot the x2000 after plugging in the Ethernet cable. It should work.

Ok, thanks. Now it's Clear. 

Not sure what I'm experiencing is firmware related.... 😞
I kept testing... and then.... after one of the several reboots ( PC, XR500, X2000, Honor V10)

... the issue compounded itself!

a) not related to b) I suppose,  but c) !!!!!!!
where:

a) XR500 not showing X2000 (thread originator)
b) X2000 not getting Internet access (no reason given)
c) X2000 become the only router visible ( with Internet access) and XR500 disappeared (it's nowhere to be seen - moreover not accessible)

WHO?
find who is the CULPRIT !! 

hahahahha! 🙂 

Alain

PS: the routers are 14 mt away from me and my PC, and they have their own UPS: an APC CS650
-The X2000 is temporarily sitting near the printer, waiting to be moved the other side of the house.

image.thumb.png.33285cd90fb916aa2b4e764dde7d0784.png

• Administrators

What do you mean by the XR500 isn't visible? I would downgrade to the .32 version then do a factory reset and that should solve all the issues you're facing. Factory reset can get rid of any legacy issues left over from previous firmware

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

(3) What do you mean by the XR500 isn't visible? (2) I would downgrade to the .32 version then do a factory reset and that should solve all the issues you're facing. (1) Factory reset can get rid of any legacy issues left over from previous firmware

In reverse order:
1) Factory reset can be an option. (that I did : Save Config - reset - re-load Config - reboot)

2) I received, installed, and connected the XR500. It accessed the Net and upgraded itself. End of the story.
(I dont know about any up - down or anything related to this or other Firmware)
- I suppose who sold me the item (and keep selling it), knows better them me what to publish as "last upgrade")

3) it happened after one of the reboots (don't ask me what was THAT particular reboot)
When the PC reconnected via CABLE - direct to the XR500 - instead of "Netgear73-5G" (Label that I cannot change but it's coming from the XR500)
it showed up as Ciscoxxx (X2000 label) -The LAN was working, Internet accessible, X2000 config web page too.......
.... but nothing about the XR500.
No Web page, nothing on the 10.0.0.1, no responses to ping or tracert,  NO XR500 's WiFi SSID visible..
- BUT - The ISP router was visible on 192.168.1.1 - ! ! ! !

I re-rebooted that ..... and that strange phenomenon disappeared.

Today I will try to setup the R6400 instead of the X2000, and report back.

Alain

image.png.0b623a49ff4200e6c5b763b6dfd63e47.png

Update R6400

I connected the R6400 via a By-pass of my Ethernet's PC     (see pic)
2019-07-06_10_19_34.thumb.jpg.2628ec78cb218337d9c9a3c257dd6868.jpg

X2000  is still connected direct at the XR500    (see pic)

image.thumb.png.6a4d8ac8b2f47c9dc5face2d37fbab35.png

... Now ... I'm connected to internet.. and everything works as it SHOULD BE .... but the X2000.

DumaOS keep ignoring it !!! (see pic)

image.thumb.png.1bc21edafed7a91e384bea8ea6fd61bc.png

Both R6400 AND XR500 have same SSID and same pass,
so hopefully .... R6400 will be working as intended    (even if so far no device connected via WiFI to it)

R6400 has a duplicate copy of DHCP ???  (see pic)

image.thumb.png.6f38dfb750afc4be6ddc699cb624895e.png

Mistery mode still on !

Alain