QOS

Alix

Hi like reading tech stuff and I read that qos it's says you need to calculate 90% of your line speed to cope with fluctuations in your line speed does this go for netduma as well 🤔 thanks for any reply 

Edited by Alix

• Administrators

If you know that your speeds fluctuate quite a lot then it would be a good idea to put the average but if they're relatively stable then you could put in 100%. Just keep in mind if you put in a lower value then you may not get the higher speeds depending on your settings.

With me been on wireless isp my speeds can fluctuate quite a lot. Where you input your speeds in the qos my speeds are set to 15mbps download and upload is 5 mbps shall I drop these numbers to 13.5mbps for download and 4.5 for upload or just move the sliders thanks 

15mbps, 14mbps,10mbps for download and for upload 5mbps, 4mbps 2mbps these are my fluctuations through out the day. My speeds don't always go blow what I have put in this message thanks 😊

Edited by Alix

• Administrators

It depends on your internet usage but I would suggest if you only really need QoS when gaming as you're not using the internet heavily when not gaming to do the values you mentioned and use when high priority traffic detected and 70% on the sliders.

How do you get pingplotter to monitor your ping also will you have to saturate your connection when doing this. Cheers Alex 👍

Edited by Alix

Well you just have to install it and then connect to a reliable server nearby. I'm in the UK so I tend to use bbc.co.uk

There's a guide here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Start PingPlotter with the connection idle, you'll hopefully see a nice flat graph. Then start to flood your connection with downloads and videos from other devices. The graph should start to fluctuate wildly. Now all you need to do is lower the anti-bufferbloat sliders by maybe 10% at a time, and keep adjusting up and down until you find the highest percentage at which the graph is flat.

Hi did what you recommend I got a okay graph. So I flooded connection got red lines through the graph and packet loss so I tried a another new target which is 8.8.8.8 and I got the same results. So I running cmd and tested my connection and there is not packet loss lol. 🤔

Strange... I don't know why the results would differ between cmd and pingplotter but i've always found pingplotter to be accurate. Anyway once the packet loss is happening you should then adjust the Anti-Bufferbloat sliders.

Hi thanks for reply this my results might be laptop I don't know but I have posted pics of tests. First one is Idle test and the other too with red lines in the tests are flooded connection. Will adjust the sliders after tea 

IMG_20190701_165608.jpg

IMG_20190701_165444.jpg

IMG_20190701_165318.jpg

So once the connection is flooded, have you tried then adjusting the sliders in Anti-Bufferbloat? If you get them just right, the pingplotter results should stabalize.

The idle connection results are a little uneven but it's all under 30ms, so overall I think okay.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:15 PM, Alix said:

Hi thanks for reply if I have the sliders set to 70% so if I have  bufferbloat do you decrease the sliders or increase the sliders cheers 

blockquote widget

If you're experiencing a lot of ping spikes then you should lower them. You basically want to get them as high as you can wihout the ping spikes returning.

Essentially, the fastest speed you can achieve while still maintaining quality gameplay.

Yeah BUT if you imagine the connection varies from 7Mb to 10Mb, depending on conditions, you could set anti-bufferbloat to 7Mb and then it would never fluctuate.

Of course this wouldn't stop the connection just dropping occasionally because sending packets over the air isn't going to be ideal in storms and such.