XR500/700 with Sky Fibre

Hi all, been a while since i have been on here, but i wondered if anyone could answer a question i can't seem to find a definitive answer to online.

Looking at upgrading my R1 to an XR500 or XR700, however, i was under the impression that i could do away completely with the Sky Q hub and use the Nighthawk as both modem and router combined. Reading certain other posts, since i am on Sky fibre i have read people have done it with the XR500 and used Wireshark to get the required login info, and a recent firmware update to DumaOS added the option 61 data required to enter this data. Is this true then? Because i am pretty sure that the Sky Q Hub uses an RJ11 jack to connect to the master socket, and neither the XR500 or XR700 seem to have an RJ11 jack, just an RJ45 WAN/Internet port.

Would appreciate any help, as it may not even be worth 'upgrading' if this is not an option.

TL;DR
Can i connect an XR500 or XR700 directly to the ADSL master socket and connect to Sky fibre and bin the Sky Q Hub.

Non of the above have modems so no.

People use wireshark to pull their details so they can use a standalone non sky modem or modem/router.

You would need a MER capable modem or DMZ any Netduma/Netgear router into the Sky modem/router.

I would suggest DMZ on the Sky router you already own for ease.

16 minutes ago, Zennon said:

Non of the above have modems so no.

People use wireshark to pull their details so they can use a standalone non sky modem or modem/router.

You would need a MER capable modem or DMZ any Netduma/Netgear router into the Sky modem/router.

I would suggest DMZ on the Sky router you already own for ease.

Thanks Zennon for clarifying, you have just confirmed what i already thought was correct.

I already have my R1 in Sky Hubs DMZ, but ideally wanted to take it out of the equation since it seems to have it's own set of quirks. Do you know if Sky have added a proper bridge mode yet? At the minute i think you have to make do with DMZ'ing the R1 and turning both Wifi bands off.

The XR500 supports option 60/61 I believe which is what you'd need to use to fool Sky into thinking you were using one of their routers. As you say, this involves using wireshark to sniff the packet, so to speak... You might as well try to do that right now before buying anything, since you have the Sky box already. Making sure that you've got the option 60/61 data at hand for when you need it would be good

There's plenty of standalone modems out there that you could use. I don't know if there's any officially reccomended modems for the XR500, but personally I bought a Draytek Vigor something or other on Amazon for about £50 and that works great, but others may reccomend something else.

Anything with an Intel Puma chip is a big no no though, because they're known to be majorly faulty.

Go Duma, not Puma