Wisp

Alix

Hi my Internet provider is wisp and been running okay A, B all the way on dslreports. Till now I have notice my Internet speeds change at peak times also there is ping spikes which mucks up my settings. Any pointers on how to keep my connection stable with netduma r1 will I have to change my bandwidth that I have set in the Anti-flood settings all time. Thanks for any replies 

The only way I can think to prevent these spikes is to have some aggressive Anti-Bufferbloat settings at the ready to be enabled when the spikes start happening. If your bandwidth suddenly drops, other devices on your network will begin to cause packet loss, by severely limiting all of them, you can work around the ping spikes. Another option (although drastic) might be to set some hard bandwidth limits on less important devices. Perhaps set your streaming box or TV to just enough for standard def video, for example.

The Netduma R1 isn't really designed to deal with WISP networks, it expects a relatively stable connection. It might be that the ping spikes on your network are impossible to eliminate because the problem occurs outside of the house. The only thing the Netduma R1 can do is attempt to limit devices from causing flooding when the bandwidth drops. Unfortunately this is an inate limitation of WISP networks.

In the future we'd like to make it so that you can enable QoS settings on a timer, but this isn't a feature yet.

Hi thanks for reply just at work on a dinner break. What do you mean to have some aggressive Anti-Bufferbloat settings at the ready to be enabled I have set my bandwidth to 15mbps for download and 5mbps for upload also both sliders are set to 70%. 

Hello what do you mean set the bandwidth to your maximum I set it to what the isp should be giving me. Also I have it set to 70% do you mean go lower or higher thanks 

• Administrators

That's what Alex meant I believe, I would recommend 70% but if you've been using that and it hasn't helped much then you could go to 50% as suggested. It won't be local congestion causing it though so it may not be able to prevent that happening.