Apple devices lose internet connection

Hey guys, Just an update to let you know that the disconnections are still occuring. It has just happened again randomly at 17:20 and it appears to have only affected Apple devices as I was still connected to the net on my windows device. 

• Administrators

Are your apple devices set to automatically upgrade their software at all? Do you notice if once they are reconnected if the software version has changed? 

If they are set to automatic try disabling this and see if they sustain a connection.

Guest Killhippie
12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are your apple devices set to automatically upgrade their software at all? Do you notice if once they are reconnected if the software version has changed? 

If they are set to automatic try disabling this and see if they sustain a connection.

The software updates are to patch serious security issues, Fraser.Not something to miss and as stated not one of my Apple devices have this issue from the XR500 beginning. I'm running 12.3.1 on my iPad Pro 12.9" 12.3.1 on my iPhone Xs and 10.14.5 on my iMac. These updates (done manually OTA) I never have auto update on, and all have big security patches for vulnerabilities so as I said not something to miss and they should never be asked to skip updates in my view just to fix a router issue. Not one issue and all devices are connection just fine. Ny friends with iPhones and iPads cannot to my XR500 guest network just fine too so I find it odd that the OP is having such an hard time. I take it HT160 is off, but WMM is left on? Has the OP tried DHCP reservation for each device, also are the devices connected to 5Ghz?

• Administrators

It is just briefly to see if that is a potential cause, wouldn't ask to have it disabled permanently. For example if it happens when the device is locked and then that prompts a connection it could be similar to the console issue.

Guest Killhippie
19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It is just briefly to see if that is a potential cause, wouldn't ask to have it disabled permanently. For example if it happens when the device is locked and then that prompts a connection it could be similar to the console issue.

Of course, Fraser its just a scary suggestion when updates are more important than the router really in this scenario. If it were a hugely big thing it would be all over Netgears forums and smallnetbuilder, also as a purely Apple home pretty much (Android TV is the exception) I would surely be seeing it as well? All my devices connect just fine (1TB SSD 2017 27" iMac, iPhone Xs 256 GB and a 12.9" iPad pro 1TB) after sleep they connect fine, also you cant fully turn off the update, you can stop it installing but it will remind you there are updates, Fraser. I am totally perplexed, unless its a hardware issues but even my old iPad Air 2 running iOS 12 had no issues before I sold it and the new iPad Pro has none either, All have DHCP reservation, in fact all my devices do, WMM is on, HT160 is off, MU-MIMO is on and so is beamforming. I still think a Network reset on the Apple devices and a factory reset of the router, then adding all devices via DHCP reservation may help, also are all iOS devices running the latest version of iOS?

• 1 month later...

So...it's been a while but, the problems of devices dropping out still continues.  Can someone direct me to previous firmware files?  .22 isn't working so I want to try a later version and if this fails, Im going to have to remove the router. There doesn't seem to be a definitive way in which to fix this issue.

Hp printer, apple and sonos have all struggled with the exception of my windows pc that has only had 2 drop outs since I bought the darn router.

Firmware Version V2.3.2.22

Guest Killhippie
6 hours ago, Sneakybeaky said:

So...it's been a while but, the problems of devices dropping out still continues.  Can someone direct me to previous firmware files?  .22 isn't working so I want to try a later version and if this fails, Im going to have to remove the router. There doesn't seem to be a definitive way in which to fix this issue.

Hp printer, apple and sonos have all struggled with the exception of my windows pc that has only had 2 drop outs since I bought the darn router.

Did you ever RMA it as it does sound like more of a hardware issue with maybe bad radios, its not something I've seen mentioned that much tbh. Please be careful there are router vulnerabilities and the latest has patched some in the kernel so running old firmware will be ok for testing but I would not keep the router on the web to long wile using anything rather than the latest version at this point.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Sneakybeaky said:

Have you tried the latest version at all? Out of interest do you have any consoles in standby/instant on modes at all? If you do could you try disabling that functionality please and see if the disconnections happen again? It has some similarities to another issue so just want to check. Otherwise may want to try an RMA as KH has suggested.

Hi,

Unfortunately the rest of the house is totally fed up of it now so I have no choice but to remove the item. I wish i could continue testing but, its fate has been decided so testing is no longer an option for me. 

Thanks for trying to assist me though.