Geo Filtering and range extender.

Hello all,

I have this weird issue that recently occurred and is still present.

First, my geo filtering was working absolutely fine on my console, when playing a known game I was seeing servers and players on the map. All good I had a wired connection via powerline.

The geo filtering just fine when activating the Wifi on the console (XBOX) so far, so good.

Then I changed my setup to add an Wifi Range extender (which I use as a relay to avoid cables) to my console (TP-Link RE650) and this works a charm, faster throughput and all. However, that device does ethernet (MAC address) rewrite (it changes the ethernet address of the console when transmitting the frames and from what I read most of the Wifi Range extender do...).

So I removed the previous records of the wired console connection in the device manager, started the console and created a new record with the new ethernet address. I also added that new device onto the geo-filtering (and removed the previous entries).

I also restarted the whole infrastructure to make sure there is nothing cached anywhere, ISP Router, XR500, RE-650 and the console.

But since I've put the RE650 in place the Geo-Filtering does not seem to work at all. Reverting to the previous configuration does work just fine (powerline or direct wifi).

Any idea on how get to get the geo filtering working using that new ethernet (MAC) address.

--Edit-

I use the last version of the firmware on the XR 500.

And happy to provide any log that is deemed relevant.

--

Regards,

FX

I looked up the RE650 online, and it looks like by default it has its own DHCP server enabled. This might be what's causing the problems.

According to the RE650 manual, this is how you disable DHCP:

1. Visit http://tplinkrepeater.net, and log in with the password you set for the extender.
2. Go to Settings > Network.
3. Select Off to disable the DHCP Server.
4. Click Save.

Try doing this and see if it makes a difference.

All the best,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the answer.

The only active DHCP server in the one on the XR500 the one on the RE650 is deactivated and on top of this, the console has a static IP (no reservation). 

Is there a sort of technical doc on how the Geo Filtering is applied (a.k.a. working in NetDuma OS), I would bet it is using IP information linked to the device(s) but by the look of it there is a bit more to it than just the IP info. I understand if this cannot be shared due to proprietary information. 

Regards

Since your console will have different MAC addresses depending on whether it connects from the range extender or not, DumaOS will see it as two different devices. Make sure that both copies of the device are added to the geo-filter.

Looking online, it seems that some range extenders can use something called WDS mode which I would recommend, except I don't think your range extender is compatible with that.

Hi Alex,

I had two records (wifi and wired) and when I saw that the Geo Filtering wasn't working, I decided to start afresh as I assumed there could be some caches somewhere, so I cleared up everything I could (Geo Filter hosts) and Host Manager. 

So right now I only have the Console (wired connection) with the ethernet address that the RE650 provides (as as declared in the host manager). 

The RE650 does not allow to change the mode from what I read, it only supports proxy mode.

I still do not understand why changing the MAC address of a machine would prevent the Geo Filtering from working (Assuming of course it is only IP based). 

Regards,

FX.

Hi Alex,

I get that, still fail to understand why changing from one mac address to another and updating the entry in the Device Manager prevents the Geo Filtering... Anyway... Just disconnected the console from the range extender and connecting straight via WiFi... 

Everything works.

Regards,

FX

• 1 year later...

Just a quick follow up on that topic...

I got the EX7700 (Nighthawk range extender) and used it as a mesh extender... Sadly same issue as previously detailed happens too... The EX7700 rewrites the MAC address and as such the Geo Filtering stopped working. Even though in the Host Manager the Xbox shows with the two MACs (original and modified by EX7700). 

On top of this there is now a new MAC address that has appeared on the device list with the same IP address as the XBOX... And I know it is not the XBOX (I snooped the network). Here I am guessing that it is a sort of proxy that the EX7700 does - it also reports the IPs of all the other hosts connected to it. 

I was tempted of contacting Netgear as I have an XR500 and EX7700 which are both their products, but I am convinced that they'll come back saying ... It is a netduma issue, check with Netduma.

I'll park that for now and hopefully the version 3 of DumaOS will address this issue .

Best regards,

FX.

• Administrators

Do make sure you sign up to the beta if you haven't already so you could provide us with feedback on this. I think the Device Manager is more robust and intelligent now with better integration with Netgears side.

I am registered...

And I would love to try.
That said, in the current situation I am a bit hesitant in putting a beta software in. The reason being both my wife and I are working from home and the only window for tests is during the weekends, assuming of course that a roll back to non beta firmware will be available.

Best regards 

Fx