Destiny 2 Question

Cristiano

I to all, i have two question whit Destiny 2 game.

1. I play in Italy i set geo-filter whit strict mode Activeded by 800km but i still connect whit player in UK and USA why?

2. If i want to connect whit one specific player in maching mode of game how can i do? 

I try to explain all clearly but scuse me forniti my bad english. Thanks and regards, Cristiano

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

We don't recommend using strict mode for Destiny due to the way their matchmaking works. Ping assist was likely the cause of that.

You wouldn't be able to ensure they get into the same game unless you go in together.

Hi, i try without strict mode today but the matchmaking with strict mode actived works but after i found 1 or 2 player in the 800km range the matchmaking is complete with other 5 - 6 player out of the range and i see this player out of range area and for netduma is blocked and i don't know why. i don't actived the ping assist  (value 0)

I have the same problem, and I didnt used to have it. 

I am CONSTANTLY connecting to dedicated servers in destiny that I have set as "denied" and through them, connecting to people WAY WAY outside my accepted range (or any acceptable range for gaming). I find when this happens that the only solution is to disable geofiltering.

I have been told that you cannot deny servers (destiny "requires" them to work, AND that denying individuals doesnt do anything in the geofilter. 

I am just curious how it is SUPPOSED to work now, because it seems to just absolute garbage right now. 

This is what my settings are while matchmaking

HZhrgBY.png

These two servers are denied (but still used for matchmaking)

clSK8Ue.png

This is the game I got (with only two people grouped together)

EKGNMKo.png

This is the denied servers

bMZfeYZ.png

It didnt used to be like this. Now it seems like nothing is working correctly. 

I have tried this with a radius that covers the entire US and parts of Canada. I have tried with just the west coast. Just CA/NV. Just Or/Wa (Bungie HQ). None of it makes a difference. CONSTANTLY matchmade with people from anywhere at random, through servers around the world. 

The next game (with only 2 of 12 grouped) looked like this

lE5ESWy.png

Honestly, I even tried forcing a public IP change by changing what MAC was used. That is how desperate I am to get this sorted. It didnt work. It is still worse than normal matchmaking. By a HUGE amount. 

• Administrators

The reason those servers aren't adhering to your denial is because they've been whitelisted by us as we've deemed them necessary in order to connect to online play.

Destiny does use a hybrid system of peers and dedicated servers, so someone who is blocked by you may potentially connect through a dedicated server that you connect to. I don't think you'll actually be playing with all those blocked hosts but rather they're remnants of a search. You won't see as many peers on the map if they're connected to the server. So mostly you're connecting to the servers and the last one was mostly via peers.

So.... how does geo filtering work then? because it absolutely does not right now.

Or to put it another way: does Geofiltering just not work on D2? It used to when it would deny the servers, but now I get wide ranges of players, even in lobbies full of solo players. 

What settings should I be using?

• Administrators

It's working by getting you the closest server or the closest peers, even if some players are further away then you'll have the advantage as you're closer to the server. They changed the way they did their matchmaking to this hybrid system so your settings are good. Strict mode can result in better matches but you might get kicked so we usually recommend strict off.