Allow/Deny Does Not Work!

Why does it seem like this feature works when it feels like it instead of all the time? I play a couple games where the connection is always P2P. I've denied some people due to high pings. I've had some games with some of the players where the game is really slow to start or doesn't start at all because of the high ping rate coming from their connection.  Sometimes for seemingly no reason they can still join my games or lobbies I'm host of. Sometimes I'd reboot my router and things would seem to work on. Except now it no longer seems to work at all.

Things I've Tried in Varying Combinations:

• I've rebooted the router many times.
  • Restarted my game console many times.
  • Flushed the Geo-Filter cloud many times.
  • I've tried turning off/on strict mode and auto ping of varying combinations.
  • I've deleted my console from the filtered device list then re-added it. (and yes it's set to "filtering" mode).
  • I've also deleted and then re-added the same individuals to my list but Allow/Deny just doesn't seem to work! The same high ping people are repeatedly able to join my lobbies despite my settings.

As I see it this thing is a $500 paperweight that allows me to connect to the internet. The things I need it to do simply do not work as advertised. What's up with this?! I'm I missing something? I've seen other posts on here about Allow/Deny not working but not clear solutions or ways to resolve its non-functionality. Why does this not work and when will it be fixed?  

• Administrators

What is your ping assist setting? If it's higher than 0, then it's possible Ping Assist might be overriding your deny.

Also, when you say they join your lobbies, do you mean your custom matches that you're hosting, or just a general lobby you've joined? Because Deny will not prevent them from joining a game hosted by someone else (that would be against the game's rules for one), but it should prevent them from hosting the game. Because most games are hosted on servers, Deny is mostly used to block dodgy servers now, rather than players.

If you could take screenshots of your Geo-Filter page and post htem on here that'd be great too - especially the Options section for the Geo-Filter Map

Ping assist is always at "0". Yes I mean custom matches that I host. Not matchmaking. I currently have auto ping on. It usually isn't but I was trying something as previously noted to get the feature to work again. It seems like a failing of the software. No matter what settings I seems to choose high ping players that I have blocked using Allow/Deny are able to freely join any lobby I set up.  

geofilter options.JPG

• Administrators

What game is this?

Please let me know If I've understood this correctly:

1. You host a publicly accessible custom game and anyone - not just people you invite can enter?
  2. You're blocking these players after they have connected to your game?

Assuming this is the case it doesn't block them immediately, the connection with them would need to be severed. Then after 2 minutes without connection they wouldn't be able to join back again.

This both points are correct. I add and block them, remove them, and add and block them again to no avail. I've done it countless times. The same handful of players with pings well over 120 are consistently able to join lobbies I host. It's annoying because the game stalls waiting for their connection to improve or it permanently stalls and everyone has to leave the lobby. What gives? What must I do to make this thing work. It simply doesn't do anything at all. 

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, questvr3 said:

This both points are correct. I add and block them, remove them, and add and block them again to no avail. I've done it countless times. The same handful of players with pings well over 120 are consistently able to join lobbies I host. It's annoying because the game stalls waiting for their connection to improve or it permanently stalls and everyone has to leave the lobby. What gives? What must I do to make this thing work. It simply doesn't do anything at all. 

How quickly are they joining back? Are the IDs the same every time? If not then their IPs are changing and that's on their end, nothing you can do except keep denying them.

Some leave and rejoin withing a few mins. Some stay and just keep playing.

Previously blocked players join my lobby and play despite my settings. IDs or IPs are NOT changing and they don't seem to using VPNs or something. They join my lobby the next day or some time after I added them to my deny list. I click on them on the map and they come up with the names I previously gave them. Same IDs & IPs too. In my list it clearly says denied but they still are able to join me. Again IDs and IPs are the same. 

The Allow/Deny feature IS NOT WORKING. 

• Administrators

Okay well we can't prevent those first cases as I mentioned due to the 2 min disconnect though you're correct they shouldn't be able to reconnect a day later if they're definitely showing as blocked. As you're the second person I know of to experience this it definitely seems like an issue that needs to be tested thoroughly so I'll pass it onto the team to have a look at.

I don't understand why you'd reiterate that 2 min rejoin rule (which the router doesn't even tell you btw). It doesn't apply in my case because I have repeatedly added and re-blocked the same individuals to no end with no change. So you're telling me the router can't block high ping people I've previously blocked? I can't be the only other person who's said they've been having this issue that you're aware of. I've searched and read through threads with similar issues. I've seen several threads that go back as far as Summer 2018 citing similar issues. You commented in most of them.

Here's list below. A couple were by the same person but there were plenty of others I've elected not to include here but searching "Allow Deny" yields lots of threads with similar issues. 

Denied Servers and Players 

Aaarrrgghhh Allow/Deny

ALLOW DENY NOT WORKING....ANNOYING NOW!!!!!

Which takes priority: Allow/Deny or Strict Mode?

When I first got the router this feature seemed to sporadically work. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. I'd usually reboot the router and things would be fine for several days then revert back to allowing the same blocked high ping players to join my lobbies. Same IDs and everything. I'd delete them and block them again. But for the past two months or so it just hasn't worked at all. I've scoured threads here for solutions and see none provided. I only see months old posts with statements like "this will be fixed in the next update" or "allow/deny is working for us, we'll try to reproduce this issue", "netgear is working on it", etc. It seems this has been going on for months on end. As far as I'm concerned you guys have had months to thoroughly test this. Why is this not fixed?

On 21/4/2019 at 5:12, Netduma Admin said:

¿Cuál es su configuración de asistente de ping? Si es más alto que 0, entonces es posible que Ping Assist esté anulando tu denegación.

Además, cuando dices que se unen a tus lobbies, ¿te refieres a tus coincidencias personalizadas que estás hospedando, o simplemente a un lobby general al que te has unido? Porque Deny no evitará que se unan a un juego organizado por otra persona (eso sería contra las reglas del juego para uno), pero debería evitar que ellos alojen el juego. Debido a que la mayoría de los juegos se alojan en servidores, Deny se usa principalmente para bloquear servidores dudosos ahora, en lugar de jugadores.

Si pudieras tomar capturas de pantalla de tu página de Geo-Filter y publicarlas aquí también sería genial, especialmente la sección de Opciones para el Mapa de Geo-Filter

osea que Si es más alto que 0, entonces es posible que Ping Assist esté anulando tu denegación.??

• Administrators

I'm letting you know about the 2 minute rule as it seems in some of your use cases that this would apply. I've recognised that you do seem to be having a legitimate issue as it should be working, I've passed it onto my colleagues responsible for looking into the issue. So far they've been unable to reproduce the issue. With you also now experiencing the issue it suggests more time needs to be dedicated to reproducing it and finding the cause.