Current Setup Question?

CrossFitKila717

Hey all,

My current setup is Fiber 300, using their gateway (modem router combo), with my Duma hardwired to that, then Xbox hardwired to Duma.......so modem, Duma, Xbox. 

Question / concern is that I’m using the WiFi from the gateway......of course this means it’s not controlled by the Duma since it’s “before” the Duma. I don’t seem to be having any noticeable issues, even when my wife is streaming Netflix off WiFi. 

How is this affecting, if at all, my current setup, speeds etc.....good or bad?

Thanks!

• Netduma Staff
13 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Hey all,

My current setup is Fiber 300, using their gateway (modem router combo), with my Duma hardwired to that, then Xbox hardwired to Duma.......so modem, Duma, Xbox. 

Question / concern is that I’m using the WiFi from the gateway......of course this means it’s not controlled by the Duma since it’s “before” the Duma. I don’t seem to be having any noticeable issues, even when my wife is streaming Netflix off WiFi. 

How is this affecting, if at all, my current setup, speeds etc.....good or bad?

Thanks!

Hi - if you've got anything connected to your Modem, it'll effectively make QoS useless. The reason for that isn't a flaw with DumaOS, it's actually impossible to avoid - if the Duma can't detect some devices since they're connected to the Modem upstream, it can't properly prioritise or share bandwidth.

If you're having no issues then that's great, but is there a reason to connect devices to the Modem rather than the Duma?

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi - if you've got anything connected to your Modem, it'll effectively make QoS useless. The reason for that isn't a flaw with DumaOS, it's actually impossible to avoid - if the Duma can't detect some devices since they're connected to the Modem upstream, it can't properly prioritise or share bandwidth.

If you're having no issues then that's great, but is there a reason to connect devices to the Modem rather than the Duma?

Hey Jack!

Thanks for the reply. 

There is “nothing” attached to the modem, other than the Duma. The modem is a provider-issued Gateway (modem/WiFi router combo). I’m just utilizing the WiFi portion of it. 

• Administrators

If you're not having any issues then you could leave it alone but if you do encounter issues then it's almost certainly due to local congestion in which case I would recommend switching the wireless devices back over to the Duma.