Consistent bufferbloat problems.

Whiblexican

This is my first post on any forum ever so I apologize for any mistakes I make while typing this out. 

I've had a Netduma r1 for about 4 or 5 months and overall I've been enjoying the experience. However, I've noticed a problem while doing research on optimizing my internet connection for PS4 online play. Every time I've tested my playstation 4 's internet on www.dslreports.com, I would always have excess ping over idle, download, and upload. I'm aware of what bufferbloat is and I believe I've taken every action I could in trying to prevent bufferbloat. I've seen almost every video I could on the topic and I've applied everything I've learned on the topic yet, i'm constantly ending up with the same results. I've also altered and played with every setting on DumaOS on my R1 but I'm always ending up with the same results. 

Some bonus information in case it helps, I use comcast xfinity internet and I live in the midwest of the US. My speeds are 150 down and no more than 12 up. I usually have the netduma set to 90% down and up while allocating most of the bandwidth to the PS4. I've played with turning share excess on and off and get better results with it off.  I'll also provide a screenshot of how the majority of the dslreports test results look when testing on the playstation 4. 

If there are any other questions I can answer for anyone helping look for a solution please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to read and help out I really do appreciate it. 

DSLreports.png

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I would not use the PS4 web browser which is likely ancient or rely on DSLReports to test bufferbloat. Bufferbloat occurs when your connection is saturated and that won't achieve it. I recommend you follow this guide to optimise your QoS settings, using different percentages to find what works best when saturation occurs. By the sounds of it you're not having a congestion issue just assuming there's an issue is that correct? http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-provider-issues/preview

Hello Fraser,

Yes that is correct. At first I thought it was a congestion issue however that more I modify the QOS sliders and get the same results the more i'm beginning to think it is not an issue with congestion. Unfortunately the link that you have provided does not seem to take me anywhere. I'm getting a webpage does not exist message. 

Edited by Whiblexican

3 hours ago, Whiblexican said:

Hello Fraser,

Yes that is correct. At first I thought it was a congestion issue however that more I modify the QOS sliders and get the same results the more i'm beginning to think it is not an issue with congestion. Unfortunately the link that you have provided does not seem to take me anywhere. I'm getting a webpage does not exist message. 

Hey, Welcome to the forums

The link Fraser provided works as he used preview at the end of the URL, try the URL again without the preview and follow along with the guide and return if you need further assistance.
http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-provider-issues/

• Administrators
On 4/8/2019 at 12:12 AM, Whiblexican said:

Hello Fraser,

As I say DSLReports isn't an effective way to test, sounds like your connection is just fine but can be optimised, use the above link instead. Thanks Tray!

Hello again,

I would just like to thank you gentlemen for all of your support so far I truly do appreciate it. 

I have begun doing numerous ping plotter tests and am now able to see the ping spikes and latency and when it is happening. I have been extensively adjusting my download and upload sliders but have yet to find a stable or consistent percentage where spikes are reduced to a minimum. I am beginning to think that the landline quality connected into my home is poor and I am considering contacting my ISP with evidence of the spikes and asking them to fix it. 

Are there any important settings on the router I am missing that may help fix these problems as well ? 

Thanks again for all the help.

• Administrators

Make sure that's the case first by performing the test direct to the modem with nothing else using the internet to establish your base line ping/stability. 

Anti-Bufferbloat is the feature you'll want to focus on for the tests and make sure they're wired as well, wireless has its own inconsistencies.

If youre gonna try to build a case against your ISP, all I can say is GOOD LUCK. When they came over to my house and I was able to use ping plotter and show the tech the random spikes at the main office for my cable company, he said he couldnt explain what it was and that unless enough people complained, it wasnt something that was going to be worked on right away since it was only intermittent. It funny because they have those diagnostic tools they use to plug into the coax (well hook up) and he used that to ping etc, when going through the Netduma he got a lower ping...interesting huh? He looked at it like there was some kind of voodoo magic going on that couldnt be explained. But yes, youll want to definitely record these test from the modem a few times, and from the router, that way you have something to compare with. Be prepared to be aggressive in this situation (not violent agressive) and have the issue escalated. It is very hard to get a big company to cause any kind of movement without strong evidence backing up your claims and being persistent. Chances are youll just get your issue dismissed or they will fins some reason to blame you.