Apex legends, host resolving as googleusercontent?

The Icon in Florida is my squad mate in chat party. The larger is obviously the server but icon is wrong. Why is auto ping host coming back with googleusercontent and the ip location when searched comes back as private ip? Also this is the result before and after a factory reset and I'm on latest firmware. Also why do we not get player icons?

Screenshot (58).png

• Administrators

Hi there,

Googleusercontent = Google Cloud, which Apex used to host most of their games.

We mask IP addresses to show ID, but dedicated servers often show the IP in Domain Name, which is why you can see it

Player icon is a cosmetic thing. We just need to change it to a server, but it's not something we have done yet as we've been focussed on getting everything in the right location.

Hope that answers all your questions. In general, how are you finding using the Geo-Filter on Apex?

Ok that's what I thought about who server hosting was but seemed odd compared to who you usually see. It works but honestly I don't use filter as I get local anyway. I'm getting more use out of the Hybrid vpn because as is the case with cod I cannot do anything unless my ping is pushing 70-100ms. My connection is fine yet I can down no one but get melted in 3-4 bullets from anything despite having level 3 shield and helmet if I play with low ping (Any opinions on hop routes being a cause of this?). Play through nord vpn from west coast (I'm Southeast, typical ping to Atlanta servers when not vpn'd are around 32ms and it plays like crap home setting on pic is actual) and it's night and day. So stupid that's how these games are these days. Battle(non)sense has a good vid on the netcode of br games. Oddly enough I have no issues with BFV ever and looking forward to firestorm this Monday!

• Administrators

Glad to hear it works. It's most likely to do with the quality of the servers, not the pushing your ping up way higher. Could be the route to the CoD servers are worse yes but that's not something you can really do anything about unfortunately.

Good to know. I'll throw something else your guys way. Pubg on xbox one, gun play always been inconsistent until Apex legends came out. Playing better now more than it ever has as far as gunplay goes. Would it be stretch to assume these companies run to many instances of a game on a single server and that causes serious performance issues but once they've lost a chunk of their population they tone down the load on the servers? Why would a game all of the sudden be more consistent when a new popular game drags away a ton of it's players. I'm not talking skill here. I'm saying in pubg on xbox people always die when I shoot them as opposed to before AL came out and they would just sponge shots. It's so odd.

• Administrators

I don't think that would be a stretch at all. You may have noticed sometimes on Apex that when you launch into a game for the first time, everyone, not just you is in slow motion, then as players start dying off to the point that it then becomes like a normal connection.

Server load is definitely a factor in connection, I believe that's why on some PC RPGs servers have a limited amount of slots - no one else can join until someone else has left. I would assume they have some sort of automatic process to control this in Apex/PUBG etc but maybe it doesn't behave as well as it should. 

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't think that would be a stretch at all. You may have noticed sometimes on Apex that when you launch into a game for the first time, everyone, not just you is in slow motion, then as players start dying off to the point that it then becomes like a normal connection.

Server load is definitely a factor in connection, I believe that's why on some PC RPGs servers have a limited amount of slots - no one else can join until someone else has left. I would assume they have some sort of automatic process to control this in Apex/PUBG etc but maybe it doesn't behave as well as it should. 

Yeah I believe that to be the case. Pubg xbox has never played so well for me till after AL came out.