WiFi getting worse? Does the new OS change anything?

1 hour ago, Corbula said:

I take it disabling WiFi wouldn't help the cpu usage? 

It would help a bit but not materially. By all means try it to see if you find an improvement.

2 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

It would help a bit but not materially. By all means try it to see if you find an improvement.

so I've tried that and as you say no difference, 68mbps down to 50mbps. I thought as a test I would also try with bufferbloat enabled reducing my download speed all the way to 30mbps to see if that alleviated anything. CPU still maxed out though which surprised me to be honest. There's nothing else I can do, I will have to stick with the original firmware until I change my router.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:30 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you disable IPv6 and see if that improves it also please.

I've just tried again, IPv6 was disabled by default (slider was white) under LAN and WAN settings. I couldn't find it anywhere else. Didn't make a difference. I tried again with the bufferbloat limiting the speed, and just changing the download speed and running a speed test it seemed to ignore it and was still getting 50mbps instead of the 20mbps I set it to. I ran the test twice and same thing but then I changed the upload as well and this time the download was limited. I don't know if that is an error or just a delay in the settings taking affect. Regardless CPU is always hitting maximum.

I've attached a log from just after the download limit was ignored is case you wanted to see it.

• Administrators

The only possible reasons I can think of at the moment for QoS not behaving as it should be are:

• IPv6 enabled (check ISP hub for this also)
  • PPPoE
  • VLAN
  • QoS completely disabled in Anti-Bufferbloats menu
  • PC connected to router & ISP hub at the same time
  • Device connected to a managed switch or another router behind the R1 that has its own QoS
  • The device isn't showing as online in the device manager
  • The device has custom rules in Traffic Prioritization which is allowing it to supercede Anti-BB

Do any of these apply to you at all?

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The only possible reasons I can think of at the moment for QoS not behaving as it should be are:

• IPv6 enabled (check ISP hub for this also)
  • PPPoE
  • VLAN
  • QoS completely disabled in Anti-Bufferbloats menu
  • PC connected to router & ISP hub at the same time
  • Device connected to a managed switch or another router behind the R1 that has its own QoS
  • The device isn't showing as online in the device manager
  • The device has custom rules in Traffic Prioritization which is allowing it to supercede Anti-BB

Do any of these apply to you at all?

I could only find two options for IPv6 which were both disabled, and I don't have an ISP hub. I have the R1 connected to an open reach modem and that's it. 

PPPoE and VLAN I'm not sure what you mean, an option turned on when it shouldn't be? 

QoS was enabled as far am in aware. 

There is no switch or other router. 

I will check the device manager when I get chance. 

There are no custom rules in traffic prioritisation, I haven't touched them. 

Again it was only until I changed the upload limit then it worked. Just thought I should mention it incase it was an issue you hadn't come across. 

1 hour ago, Corbula said:

PPPoE and VLAN I'm not sure what you mean, an option turned on when it shouldn't be? 

PPPoE on DumaOS is in >Network Settings >WAN - within there you can change how you connect to the Internet as some ISPs require you to have a username and password. This is PPPoE. If you're not doing this then you can rule it out.

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

PPPoE on DumaOS is in >Network Settings >WAN - within there you can change how you connect to the Internet as some ISPs require you to have a username and password. This is PPPoE. If you're not doing this then you can rule it out.

Oh right, in that case yes I'm using PPPoE as I'm using a username and password. 

• Administrators

Okay then that is very likely why you are seeing the speed decreases on DumaOS, PPPoE was always a limitation on the R1 but with DumaOS being more involved this is still a side effect.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay then that is very likely why you are seeing the speed decreases on DumaOS, PPPoE was always a limitation on the R1 but with DumaOS being more involved this is still a side effect.

Oh right, well there's nothing that can be done about that is there? I have to use the username and password to connect to the Internet. I don't know anyone who doesn't. 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Corbula said:

Oh right, well there's nothing that can be done about that is there? I have to use the username and password to connect to the Internet. I don't know anyone who doesn't. 

Unless you can let the upstream router take care of it or place another router in between then unfortunately not.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Unless you can let the upstream router take care of it or place another router in between then unfortunately not.

I do have my isp router which I can put between the modem and R1 but won't that mean anything I do on the R1 like congestion control will be overridden by the isp router? 

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Corbula said:

I do have my isp router which I can put between the modem and R1 but won't that mean anything I do on the R1 like congestion control will be overridden by the isp router? 

What you would do is put the R1 in the ISP router DMZ and disable it's WiFi so the ISP router just handles the PPPoE then everything else connected to the R1 so it can control everything.

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What you would do is put the R1 in the ISP router DMZ and disable it's WiFi so the ISP router just handles the PPPoE then everything else connected to the R1 so it can control everything.

OK I will give this ago as I have an old router my ISP gave me. I will see how that goes. When I do this, does the ISP router have to be connected to the poe port on the R1 or can it connect to any? I'm just wondering if I get an access point for wireless if I can run that off the poe on the R1 or if I need to find another power plug for it as I'm not sure I have any spare plugs now! 

7 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

The ISP router must be connected via port 1.

Ok so I've been trying to set this up this tonight to see if I can get it to work by using my ISP router between the openreach modem and the R1. I've found the section on my ISP router for dmz and I put the router IP (192.168.88.1) which I think is wrong? I need to put the WAN IP, correct? How do I find that on DumaOS though, I can't find it anywhere. I've attached a picture where it just says WAN IP but doesn't actually show it. Should it be there or is it somewhere else?

image.png.e075acbf79db9dbf0dd5f8ec02e6bdfb.png

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Corbula said:

Ok so I've been trying to set this up this tonight to see if I can get it to work by using my ISP router between the openreach modem and the R1. I've found the section on my ISP router for dmz and I put the router IP (192.168.88.1) which I think is wrong? I need to put the WAN IP, correct? How do I find that on DumaOS though, I can't find it anywhere. I've attached a picture where it just says WAN IP but doesn't actually show it. Should it be there or is it somewhere else?

Yes that's right, you need to put in the WAN IP which can be found on the System Information page in the Internet Status panel.

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's right, you need to put in the WAN IP which can be found on the System Information page in the Internet Status panel.

That's what I mean, I can't see it. Am I just being an idiot and completely missing it or is it not there?

image.thumb.png.84dc0895dc4f5bd25a6f54815ed47122.png

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, Corbula said:

That's what I mean, I can't see it. Am I just being an idiot and completely missing it or is it not there?

It should be there, do you have internet through the router? On the router you're using between the modem and R1 it should list in the devices the IP of the router, you can use that IP address. You shouldn't have anything else connected to it so it should be simple to find it under connected devices.

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It should be there, do you have internet through the router? On the router you're using between the modem and R1 it should list in the devices the IP of the router, you can use that IP address. You shouldn't have anything else connected to it so it should be simple to find it under connected devices.

This is without the other router, I thought I had to get Internet through the R1 to get a WAN ip so I removed the isp router. At the moment it is just the R1 connected to the modem and that's it, and the Internet is working. 

Also, port wise, if the isp router needs to be connected to port 1 on the R1, does the other end of that cable need to be connected to the WAN port on the isp router or any port? Only because I have to connect the modem to the WAN port on the isp router. Does this make sense? 

In the situation that you have to use an ISP router between the Netduma and the modem, the modem connects to the WAN port on the ISP router, then any other port on that ISP router connects to the WAN port of the Netduma.

56 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

In the situation that you have to use an ISP router between the Netduma and the modem, the modem connects to the WAN port on the ISP router, then any other port on that ISP router connects to the WAN port of the Netduma.

Thank for explaining. Do you know why the WAN ip isn't showing? This is with the R1 connected to the open reach modem, nothing else. 

Right, I think I've finally sorted it all. The WAN IP started showing up when I disconnected the modem from the ISP router. So I put that IP as the dmz on the ISP router and turned off the wifi.On the R1 I've left the sections under WAN > Network all blank. So DHCP, Static and PPPoE are all blank and it seems to be working as it should now, a part from being a cable mess! The wired speed is the full speed it should be and cpu usage doesn't go above 60%. I still think I will get an access point though for the 5Ghz wifi.

Thank you for all the help, I know this dragged on a bit.

If I want to use a different DNS, where and how do I set that? On the R1 or the ISP router? Is it's on the R1, what section to I put it in?