XR500 has a problem

handling 4 xboxs running at the same time.  Latency spikes, lag like crazys internet slows down.  I just think this unit is not powerful enough.  Two xboxs runs fine but when everyone is playing no can do no matter what kind of adjustments I make to qos or the bufferbloat. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I still have time to return it.  I just need for someone to tell me no can do with 4 xboxs.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The router is fine and can handle a large number of devices simultaneously. Your problem is that all 4 xbox's are trying to use the same ports at the same time.Are you using port forwarding or upnp?

• Administrators

So CM1000 > XR500 > all devices? 

Are the consoles connected via ethernet or WiFi? 

I'd suggest you follow this guide and experiment with Anti-Bufferbloat percentages to find what works best for your connection: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-provider-issues

One on ethernet and the other 3 wifi.

Did the bufferbloat test at 70/70 and it was horrible.  did 50/50 got A,A,A

My allocation is all equal.  I still think it's going to fail.  Gut feeling unless someone can prove me wrong.

I do appreciate the help though.

• Administrators

As most are on WiFi make sure they're connected to 2.4GHz not 5GHz as it's more stable. Next also ensure it's using the least congested channel, may be beneficial to use a WiFi analyser to find the best one. 

I wouldn't suggest going off DSLReports results but rather using PingPlotter like the guide suggests. Let us know how you get on though.

I got it already and done that.  Im on the best channels.  I didn't think the 2.4ghz would be more stable though.  But then I would also think that my xbox thats on the lan connection would not be affected but it is. Hmmm.

Guest Killhippie
10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As most are on WiFi make sure they're connected to 2.4GHz not 5GHz as it's more stable. Next also ensure it's using the least congested channel, may be beneficial to use a WiFi analyser to find the best one. 

I wouldn't suggest going off DSLReports results but rather using PingPlotter like the guide suggests. Let us know how you get on though.

5GH802ac is more stable than 2.4Ghz and less prone to interference also it has greater bandwidth at distance when using Wi-Fi? (most modern consoles can use use 802.11ac or its new moniker as Wi-Fi 5)

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Killhippie said:

5GH802ac is more stable than 2.4Ghz and less prone to interference also it has greater bandwidth at distance when using Wi-Fi? (most modern consoles can use use 802.11ac or its new moniker as Wi-Fi 5)

2.4GHz however is better able to penetrate walls and sustains a more stable connection over distance than 5GHz. For gaming I would always suggest 2.4GHz as you don't need that higher bandwidth. As long as the 2.4GHz channel you're using isn't too congested.