Speed Versus Ping........

CrossFitKila717

Quick question & one that’s had lots of controversy.......

I know (or at least read/see all the time) that “ping is king” and speed don’t matter. I guess I’m a little confused on how speed doesn’t matter since I also have seen that you don’t need congestion control if your speeds are more than capable of handling everything without backing up traffic. So it appears to me that speed does matter at least to a certain extent. 

Ive honestly been off the Duma for weeks now & just hardwired through my modem - router - Xbox, and even with the lady streaming Netflix, my gameplay has been just as good, if not better. I only have 200 down / 10 up. 

Thoughts?

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Quick question & one that’s had lots of controversy.......

I know (or at least read/see all the time) that “ping is king” and speed don’t matter. I guess I’m a little confused on how speed doesn’t matter since I also have seen that you don’t need congestion control if your speeds are more than capable of handling everything without backing up traffic. So it appears to me that speed does matter at least to a certain extent. 

Ive honestly been off the Duma for weeks now & just hardwired through my modem - router - Xbox, and even with the lady streaming Netflix, my gameplay has been just as good, if not better. I only have 200 down / 10 up. 

Thoughts?

Don't get us wrong - speed does matter, but not even half as much as Ping. I'll talk you through the circumstances which can make speeds affect gameplay:

Games use <0.5mbps bandwidth, so ultimately the amount of throughput you have doesn't even affect the performance of your game. You could have a 1mbps line and still get professional-quality gameplay, if you set everything up correctly and didn't download or stream while you're playing.

Speeds matter if you max them out and try to game at the same time. Saturating your connection causes a phenomenon called Bufferbloat, which results in ping spikes, jitter, higher latency and other problems which do affect gameplay. You won't encounter that problem if your speeds are really high, so in that case QoS wouldn't be needed.

If your speeds aren't high, then it's worth being aware of bufferbloat and how to combat it. That being said, you can't cause bufferbloat if you don't download massive files / stream / completely max out your connection. Setting Anti-Bufferbloat to 70/70 will ensure your connection can't be saturated by greedy devices, so your game will run smoothly regardless. I hope this helps! Check out this guide for more info: https://netduma.com/blog/beginners-guide-to-bufferbloat/

• 10 months later...

speed is the current rate at which you are receiving data lets say 5mbps

bandwidth is the max speed possible for example 10mbps is the bandwidth then speed can be 5 or 6.

Ping depends on two factors speed + distance. if you live in US and connect to a server in china you will get a ping of 100+ms but if you connect to a server in canada you will get around 2ms to 3 ms.

Hope it clears out the concept.

• 3 months later...