Device manager for Multi homed device.

Hello team,

A suggestion for DumaOS. 

I'd love to see the support for multi-homed (Multiple network interfaces) machine and group them under the same "host" to ease the configuration and bandwidth allocation.

A typical example is an XBOX (supports both wired and Wifi), but if the wired interface is connected the wifi is not connected and vice and versa. So in the current situation, I had to define two "hosts" in the device manager and it added another machine in the QoS window and hence lowered all the other devices "reserved" bandwidth. 

I'd rather have a device that could be either of the Ethernet address and for which I could define one bandwidth allocation.

All the best,

Hi Fraser,

I can tell you that my XR500 runs with the latest firmware and it does not seem to be happy with it. 

The ethernet addresses the only difference is the last ethernet value :EA vs :E8, they are however both listed in the device manager, maybe because when looking at it in table mode, the connection is marked different (Wired v Wireless). 

Happy to send further info if required.

Indeed they do I have one icon for the XBox Wifi iface and one for the wired one. 

Happy to send you screenshots in MP, but my network is quite a busy one so it might not be super readable :)

On 2/26/2019 at 1:40 PM, TheFx1 said:

Hello team,

A suggestion for DumaOS. 

I'd love to see the support for multi-homed (Multiple network interfaces) machine and group them under the same "host" to ease the configuration and bandwidth allocation.

A typical example is an XBOX (supports both wired and Wifi), but if the wired interface is connected the wifi is not connected and vice and versa. So in the current situation, I had to define two "hosts" in the device manager and it added another machine in the QoS window and hence lowered all the other devices "reserved" bandwidth. 

I'd rather have a device that could be either of the Ethernet address and for which I could define one bandwidth allocation.

All the best,

I think this is correct as-is as far as identification since each connection is correctly identified as a unique NIC, however I strongly support your idea of a "merged" bandwidth control mechanism for pairs or groups of devices, rather than everything individually.  The option to group them for identification might be a plus (it's funny to see my desktop both online and offline), but I wouldn't want it forced upon me.

It looks like you can customize the names of things already, so you can label them to help keep them distinct.

• Administrators
On 3/1/2019 at 6:53 PM, ixit said:

I think this is correct as-is as far as identification since each connection is correctly identified as a unique NIC, however I strongly support your idea of a "merged" bandwidth control mechanism for pairs or groups of devices, rather than everything individually.  The option to group them for identification might be a plus (it's funny to see my desktop both online and offline), but I wouldn't want it forced upon me.

It looks like you can customize the names of things already, so you can label them to help keep them distinct.

We agree - this would be a great addition. 100% on our Roadmap to get done, which will likely be wrapped up as part of a bigger feature upgrade we have planned (will reveal more when we can).