Possible Jitter/Bufferbloat problem

Hi, i talked to my ISP about if there was a problem in there end for my bad online experience, hit registration, shoot first die first, i did ping, tracert, jitter tests for them and they said it was my router with butferbloat and to try directly to the modem, when i did the test directly to the modem i got a jitter of 12ms. I told the tech guy and he said 12ms is fine and it's a problem with the router. Do i have a faulty router or modem or bad ISP? I'm from Australia and we can't buy our own modems as the NBN uses there own modems for every ISP called NTD box/modem.

hi.

If you connected your pc directly to the modem and have a "jitter" of 12ms that is disgustingly bad a 12ms Ping is fine, so did you mean jitter or ping? If you meant jitter then you have a bad line/connection and your isp is fobbing you off as they never take responsibility for anything that goes wrong with their network.  How are you doing these tests? The best and most reliable method is to use pingplotter as that is as accurate as you can get.

I mean jitter, ping was about 6ms, i did the jitter test on there own website, any suggestions? Should i try to get the problem solved or is it not worth it and just change ISP? I did a lot of tests they asked and their answer was always it's the router not the ISP, but i was pretty sure it was the ISP's fault just wanted someone elses input thanks.

it is 1 of 2 things, either a line fault or a faulty modem. You could try changing isp's if you are able to but that will not solve your problem if it is a line fault. What make of modem do you have?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I'm not sure what the model is, it is a NTD (Network Termination Device) that the NBN installed in most Australian homes, we can't use our own modems.

images (2).jpeg

agh ok. The fact you said you connected directly to the modem without the router and was still getting 12ms of jitter would strongly suggest you have a line fault. You should only have 1ms which is about the average on a good solid connection. It could be solved by either switching isp's or getting your line checked by an engineer. If your isp is being an arse about it you could switch isp's and if the issue still continues it is a line fault. I would bet my last penny that if you try another router it will still give you the exact same results.

• Administrators

Try running a pingplotter test on your line and post the results here and we'll take a look. If there's 12ms spikes then it doesn't sound too good, so worth checking. Here's a guide: 

Yeah I'm going to try a few more tests, just got an email from my ISP saying that it's definitely not a problem on there end and is an "enternal" problem, and must be one of the ethernet ports, if i can't fix it I'll change ISP, they clearly have no interest in actually helping their customers, thanks anyway for the help :)