Nighthawk xr500 blocks all internet access randomly

I've been using the xr500 for about a 12 days.  Overall I really like the router and want it to be the router I go with. However, every couple days, the router just blocks all internet traffic.  The only way to get things working again is by rebooting it.  This has happened 6 times now in about 12 days.  Which is why I am writing this post.  I'm approaching the refund date on my purchase and I need to make a decision.

I've got a copy of the log from the router shortly after it stopped allowing internet traffic. Which I've attached.  I'm also running the latest firmware for the router and have anti buffer bloat set to "When high priority detected"

log-1549988508709.txt

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, acanadian said:

I've been using the xr500 for about a 12 days.  Overall I really like the router and want it to be the router I go with. However, every couple days, the router just blocks all internet traffic.  The only way to get things working again is by rebooting it.  This has happened 6 times now in about 12 days.  Which is why I am writing this post.  I'm approaching the refund date on my purchase and I need to make a decision.

I've got a copy of the log from the router shortly after it stopped allowing internet traffic. Which I've attached.  I'm also running the latest firmware for the router and have anti buffer bloat set to "When high priority detected"

log-1549988508709.txt

Hi, welcome to the forum! Hmm, that seems like a strange issue. It could have something to do with DHCP, though if you're worried about your refund window running out then it might not be worth testing it.

I'll pass this to a developer to have a look at, though I would suggest informing Netgear of the issue and your intention to return the product if it isn't resolved. That way you could get a bit more time to troubleshoot the problem.

Have you tried factory resetting the router? After that step it would be worth rebooting your modem and checking your wiring, before using DHCP to set static IP's for the affected devices. You should try increasing your DHCP lease time (or if you want to prove that it's to blame, set it to the smallest lease time and see if your Internet drops out when the lease is up).

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi, welcome to the forum! Hmm, that seems like a strange issue. It could have something to do with DHCP, though if you're worried about your refund window running out then it might not be worth testing it.

I'll pass this to a developer to have a look at, though I would suggest informing Netgear of the issue and your intention to return the product if it isn't resolved. That way you could get a bit more time to troubleshoot the problem.

Have you tried factory resetting the router? After that step it would be worth rebooting your modem and checking your wiring, before using DHCP to set static IP's for the affected devices. You should try increasing your DHCP lease time (or if you want to prove that it's to blame, set it to the smallest lease time and see if your Internet drops out when the lease is up).

Thanks for the reply.  I have a static ip address with my isp, and internally I have almost all my devices set with static ip addresses.  However your response did cause me to look at the DHCP settings on the router. I've added reservations to devices and will see if that resolves the issue. Also, I don't see anywhere that I can change the lease time in Duma OS.

I have not tried factory resetting the router.  

UPDATE:  I decided to remove any DNS or DHCP responsibility from the router.  Will update after a period of testing.

• Administrators

Theres no way to increase the DHCP lease time on the Netgear routers with DumaOS currently. It's default is set to 24 hrs so having it happen 6 times in 12 days could line up potentially. Though all devices should renew their IP on their own. Let us know how you get on!

Have not had to reboot the router since off loading DHCP and DNS.  Definitely good news.  

What I am experiencing now is out of my control.  During peak internet times the games that I am playing experience more rubber banding and other similar issues.  Which I think is definitely related to how busy my ISP is during peak times.  Since the router resumes operating normally after some time passes.

• Administrators

Great to hear that, thanks for the update!

That does sound like peak time congestion. I'd take a look at what your base ping is direct to modem in non peak times when nothing is happening on your network vs peak times. If there is a big difference thats your issue but unfortunately the ISP won't do anything about that.