Cant get solid hit detection, ever.

bbursley

So I have had the R1 since before Duma OS and honestly the only difference I see is the UI. Anyways, I had DSL back when Black Ops 3 came out and thats when I got the Netduma. It seemed to work fine for me back then. But now that I have moved more into the city and have been able to get cable internet, I figured the netduma would only help even more so. Well ive updated the firmware to the DumaOS of course, but honestly it doesnt feel like im getting any great hit detection at all....and my ping plotter tests have shown a very stable ping from what I can tell, even while watching youtube etc. Not really sure why my in game hit detection has sucked for almost every game, im constantly getting screwed over on gunfights or just honestly getting hitmarkers if not dying. Is it kind of better? yes. but i know its alot worse than it should be and honestly turning QOS off for me worked better than having it on...hmmm. I have set my speed to what i get and i have tried sliders at everything you can imagine. I have added reserved bandwidth to my console as well as not doing that. I have added the specific range of ports call of duty uses to obtain UDP/TCP connectivity within the game,(i did 500-4500 tcp and udp) so that those packets always get out and in first. I have done that in combination of host filtering and not host filtering and a wired connection. It feels as if no matter what I do im just dying to bullshit or getting WAY to many hitmarkers. My local ping is great and again ping plot is very stable. Any ideas? Cuz im at a loss at this point. Also my connection speeds are 100 Mb/s Download and 10Mb/s upload.435519124_googleping.thumb.png.3990f0eb39da13a0e4bebdf24b25d460.pngwww.twitter_com.thumb.png.2ab419a5745d95da71797d1bdb75a7ad.png

2 hours ago, bbursley said:

ALSO want to note that the hit detection is not just wonky on black ops 4, but even on other games, (ghosts, black ops 3 etc.)

Try turning off upnp and ipv6 on both wan and lan. I have all ports to bo4 open. Thats what works for me pretty consistently. Yes, you have a better looking graph than me, pretty solid! 

1 hour ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Try turning off upnp and ipv6 on both wan and lan. I have all ports to bo4 open. Thats what works for me pretty consistently. Yes, you have a better looking graph than me, pretty solid! 

yeah my modem has IPv4 and IPv6. Why? I have NO idea lol. It was like this when I lived at another place too that had internet I couldn't control (comcast). I thought about using port forwarding as apposed to just using upnp as I'm sure its a lot less reliable huh? I actually thought about turning off the IPv6 on WAN and LAN. Not sure why you'd really need that anyways. Is there really any benefit to having it on? But yes my graph is pretty steady and thats what confuses me. I should legit be DESTROYING lol. whats your QOS settings like?

1 hour ago, purpleandgold33 said:

what was it that made you suggest the IPv6 part? 

1 hour ago, bbursley said:

yeah my modem has IPv4 and IPv6. Why? I have NO idea lol. It was like this when I lived at another place too that had internet I couldn't control (comcast). I thought about using port forwarding as apposed to just using upnp as I'm sure its a lot less reliable huh? I actually thought about turning off the IPv6 on WAN and LAN. Not sure why you'd really need that anyways. Is there really any benefit to having it on? But yes my graph is pretty steady and thats what confuses me. I should legit be DESTROYING lol. whats your QOS settings like?

I have my settings/sliders at 43 down 70 up. I fiddled around on pingplotter for about an hour and found that my connection or line was most stable with the least amount of jitter at those levels. Ipv6 is not supported on the xbox or ps4. So there is no need to have it on. Yes, port forwarding is a gaurantee that the ports are open. Upnp is not reliable. Also you can and should only do one or the other. So if you port forward then most definitely turn off upnp. If you have upnp on then do not port forward. It will be conflicting in the router.

• Administrators

Your plot and in game ping look fantastic. I would suggest following purples recommendations. Since the router appears to be doing it's job theres not much we can recommend. Perhaps a video to show the in game issues you're facing would help.

15 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

I have my settings/sliders at 43 down 70 up. I fiddled around on pingplotter for about an hour and found that my connection or line was most stable with the least amount of jitter at those levels. Ipv6 is not supported on the xbox or ps4. So there is no need to have it on. Yes, port forwarding is a gaurantee that the ports are open. Upnp is not reliable. Also you can and should only do one or the other. So if you port forward then most definitely turn off upnp. If you have upnp on then do not port forward. It will be conflicting in the router.

Yeah, I know about the Upnp and Port forwarding but I didn't think it would make much difference since I believe somewhere on these forums someone mentioned having open nat isn't what creates lag.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your plot and in game ping look fantastic. I would suggest following purples recommendations. Since the router appears to be doing it's job theres not much we can recommend. Perhaps a video to show the in game issues you're facing would help.

I know the plot is pretty smooth and ill admit i was even watching a youtube video ON my laptop while doing so and thats still the results I got. But yeah my in game png was even decent too, and I had lowered the ping assist so I was getting that same dedi the whole time which is why im like, how arent my bullets melting people with all these factors looking so positive. Which brought me back to here. Old Dumas firmware worked decent back in the days of DSL so I assumed I could only get better results than previous.

54 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Not sure what to suggest then in that case as the router sounds like it's performing optimally. Perhaps forcing different servers would improve your experience

perhaps. Do you know why ISP modems these days serve out an IPv4 and an IPv6 address? Is it really not full supported? Before spectrum bought out time warner cable youd only get your one IPv4 and that was it. Does it really cause issues?

• Administrators

IPv4 addresses are running out which is why you're seeing more adoption of IPv6. We don't fully support it at the moment as it's not widely rolled out. I would suggest disabling IPv6 on the router and see if that improves it for you.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

IPv4 addresses are running out which is why you're seeing more adoption of IPv6. We don't fully support it at the moment as it's not widely rolled out. I would suggest disabling IPv6 on the router and see if that improves it for you.

haha yeah I know I mean I am in a networking class in college currently and i understand the point of it. But to have two public IP addresses assigned to one modem seems weird to me. Like why am I able to obtain both an IPv4 AND an IPv6 at the same time, even the console shows it. I would think it would be confusing for gaming and it seems true mainly because it seems that traffic can travel over either IP. This would be good as far as throughput and handling loads better, as our college also has 4 public IP's for all the server load etc too. But for a home setting it seems impractical. I guess by what youre saying that it can switch dynamically in the case the modem resets and you cant obtain another IPv4 in that instance, but otherwise seems pointless.

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I will try these things suggested though, I do remember back when I had cable long long ago that port forwarding did seem a lot better than using Upnp, I want to know though why the netduma doesnt offer a DMZ option for those who wish to use it. It would seem that would solve a lot of NAT related issues, however I do wonder if that will make using QOS any less reliable since theoretically the router is a form of firewall and that would just place your device on the outside.

• Administrators

It is possible and the Xbox will usually go for IPv6 if it's available. IPv6 can be converted to IPv4 as well so likely same public IP in IPv4/6 form. We do want to create a DMZ as we know most users want it and I think QoS would still work optimally even with this.

16 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It is possible and the Xbox will usually go for IPv6 if it's available. IPv6 can be converted to IPv4 as well so likely same public IP in IPv4/6 form. We do want to create a DMZ as we know most users want it and I think QoS would still work optimally even with this.

Interesting, I was thinking maybe there was two, but I remember back when I wanted to pay for a second IP they would not let me. So what you say sounds reasonable. I think DMZ for consoles is a proper idea since there is not a lot of information involved with consoles that can really lead to risk factors. Perhaps the transaction of credit card info being stolen while crossing over the WAN. I don't know if there is any form of encryption as I thought encrypted HTTPS ran over port 443. I have never seen that port listed as needing to be open. Maybe i missed it. Although you now offer another solution such as VPN tunneling which DOES help protect data, so that could solve that issue with or without a DMZ. I feel as though DMZ is a viable option for console gamers since it allows all ports to be open freely without having concern of missing that one single port. Anyways I think that should definitely be a part of the next future update, I am not a coder so I have no idea how much of a pain it would be to implement but it does not seem like it should be to hard, I think the most trouble will be associating DMZ traffic with the QOS and packet priority. Also, I do want to know a bit more about the QOS feature since I have seen mixed results where some people only used the "DumaOS classisfied games", and some others added those ports specifically. SO im curious to know WHICH ports need to be prioritized, or is there a one size fits all choice?  

• Administrators

DMZ is definitely on our roadmap. DumaOS Classified Games encompasses all the ports that games MAY use on consoles, ports 1024-65535 specifically. This is how we can prioritize all games on console. Some users like to find out what ports the game uses and then just selects those though I don't see any reason this would have an increased effect but whatever works for people is great.

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

DMZ is definitely on our roadmap. DumaOS Classified Games encompasses all the ports that games MAY use on consoles, ports 1024-65535 specifically. This is how we can prioritize all games on console. Some users like to find out what ports the game uses and then just selects those though I don't see any reason this would have an increased effect but whatever works for people is great.

AH, so in other words doing anything outside of that is relatively pointless. Well it wasnt a feature in the original fimrware so I didnt really know if it was needed or not, but it also didnt seem device specific either so IF something else happened to for some reason use a port in that port range then it would seem like there would be some sort of a priority overlap between the two. Im not sure what instances that would ever occur, but hey, say someones using a game on mobile perhaps and it happened to use that same port? IDK honestly its just speculation.

• Administrators

Ports under that aren't really used other than 80 or 443 but it would be a terrible idea to prioritize these as downloads would be prioritized and that would defat the purpose. It would prioritize both in that scenario. It will detect only game consoles or games on PC that use deep packet inspection rather than ports.