NordVPN super slow speed and insane ping

Stobbee

Hi everyone! I've a subscription with NordVPN and I'm trying to use it with my NetDuma R1 with DumaOS. I'm able to connect to any server, but even in the most near server I get awful speeds and super high ping... My connection without vpn it's 105 download and 20 up, with vpn I get 5 download and 5 up with bad ping. That doesn't allow me to play on my xbox one. I'm still in the 30 days to get a refund, but I would like to solve it and use it. 

So is there something I'm missing? Am I doing something wrong? I've read somewhere on the internet that people can get better latency with vpn for online gaming. With this experience it looks crazy to me 😛 

I hope someone can explain me how people get better performance while playing under a vpn. 

Thanks for your help!

• Administrators

Hi - that is a limitation of the VPN, especially, when running through a router.

Typically a VPN will give you much lower bandwidth (you're using a server / connection that is also being used by others). Plus the ping is usually higher because you're being routed through a server before connecting to the Internet.

Additionally, a VPN almost always runs slower through any router because a router is not as powerful as, say, a PC. 

VPNs won't improve your gaming ping (they'll only make it worse), which is why our Hybrid VPN is so useful - you can apply a VPN to any device but omit your gaming devices or traffic. So they're not restricted.

The best way to get the lowest possible ping is through using our Geo-Filter to get the nearest server, and our QoS to make sure nothing on your network will cause you to lag. http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

As a sidenote: I think you may have confused standard VPNs with some of the WAN Optimisation products like WTFast. 

Thank you for the quick and exhaustive answer. 

Could I use this WTfast service through the Netduma R1 in order to obtain gain on my Xbox One? Is that an option?