I live in the UK...why do I get placed on a West Cost Dedicated Server?

thisisreallife

Is this a U.I error?

Also, how am I, who lives in the UK, getting placed in a Dedicated Server, 1,000 of miles away, yet Netduma OS tells me my ping is 16 - 30ms. Surely if I live in the UK and I'm placed on a dedi so far away, my ping will not be 16 - 30ms?

Also, next question, how come the DumaOS states my ping is 30ms MAX, yet the game tells me it's 30 - 60ms?

Dedicated.png

13 hours ago, thisisreallife said:

Is this a U.I error?

Also, how am I, who lives in the UK, getting placed in a Dedicated Server, 1,000 of miles away, yet Netduma OS tells me my ping is 16 - 30ms. Surely if I live in the UK and I'm placed on a dedi so far away, my ping will not be 16 - 30ms?

Also, next question, how come the DumaOS states my ping is 30ms MAX, yet the game tells me it's 30 - 60ms?

Dedicated.png

That is a UK server it’s just incorrectly located in the Netduma cloud database so it’s showing in the wrong place. You have been connected to it by the ping assist feature (servers found by ping assist have a dashed circle around them)

If you only wanted to connect to servers within the geofilter radius you would have to set ping assist to 0 but I would recommend leaving ping assist enabled so you can connect to local servers although they are incorrectly located on the map.

If you post the details of incorrectly located servers in this thread then they can be added to the cloud:

Im assuming you are playing Black Ops 4? The in game connection meter also includes things like processing delay that is why it varies so much in game to what you see on the geofilter. The geofilter is the most accurate representation of your ping to the server.

I think the processing delay part is mostly speculation. I used to tell people that myself (after hearing about it from someone who did game netcode analyses) but considering the fact that the latency I get in game is different to what I get from pings to the same server at the same time, it's reasonable to suspect that game developers build their own latency detection method based on the UDP protocol, since game packets often use UDP (in FPS games anyway).

The ping tool is just ICMP after all. ISPs often prioritise this traffic in order to ensure that things always look good on the surface and they can dismiss complaints after having customers post ping test or trace route results, yet if you do some searching online you'll find a disturbing amount of forum posts complete with gameplay videos where people are lagging with low pings. I could post hundreds myself as connection quality in recent games on 7ms pings since switching ISPs has fluctuated dramatically. I even get the same delays against bots in custom games. For example this was the hitreg I got in the last online game I tried to play on DumaOS:

_20181224_213239.JPG.971a7b49a7a31d9d842616018a2d2045.JPG_20181224_213257.JPG.5ee0c3f962010638a9ce7afa96b0130c.JPG_20181224_213323.JPG.db035dfb559f89d648a7385771fc636e.JPG_20181224_213344.JPG.2a3272d030cd067c82cf4e67f595a9e5.JPG_20181224_213408.JPG.6694f71ae944d799710807bd457b000a.JPG

Using a 625rpm weapon, there's a delay of 96ms between shots fired. My first shot on target was with 22 rounds left in the mag, while my first hitmarker appears with 19 left. That's 284ms delay for a hitmarker yet according to DumaOS I was on 7ms and in setting it up so I could keep an eye on it almost as much as I check my minimal in game, I saw it never climbed above 10ms:

_20181224_213826.JPG.696894ab1700ed6c06f670bb3939f022.JPG

The important thing to remember here is the terms ping and latency are not interchangeable - latency is a time interval, while ping is a tool used to listen for a response and the measurement of its delay is one form of latency. 

Some games do calculate server processing overhead but it's not the sole reason ping is different from game latency. The main distinction is different forms of latency over different protocols. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, pollutionblues said:

That is a UK server it’s just incorrectly located in the Netduma cloud database so it’s showing in the wrong place. You have been connected to it by the ping assist feature (servers found by ping assist have a dashed circle around them)

If you only wanted to connect to servers within the geofilter radius you would have to set ping assist to 0 but I would recommend leaving ping assist enabled so you can connect to local servers although they are incorrectly located on the map.

If you post the details of incorrectly located servers in this thread then they can be added to the cloud:

Im assuming you are playing Black Ops 4? The in game connection meter also includes things like processing delay that is why it varies so much in game to what you see on the geofilter. The geofilter is the most accurate representation of your ping to the server.

Perfect answer. 

Let us know if you need any further help @thisisreallife - we will be rolling out many new Cloud updates to keep our GeoIP location database as up to date as possible, so this mislocation should become increasingly rare