IPv6 - Current and future support level?

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would ask that when the beta is available that you can give us feedback on this. We don't have native IPv6 at the office, we can simulate this but that's different to a home IPv6 real world scenario. If there are still issues with it in beta you identify then we can make further changes.

Sure thing Fraser!  My first piece of feedback is what I mentioned above (the routes going stale after 90 minutes; this has to do with subsequent IPv6 route advertisements after the initial advertisement and the current implementation not being able to receive the subsequent ones, from what I understand).  I'm sure there others with R1's that are also willing to help (for example, those in this thread).

This isn't meant as a criticism at you guys, but I'm surprised you don't have any implementation at the office for IPv6.  Seeing as how the world is moving in that direction, maybe put some thought into implementing it, even if only on a small test network, so that we all, as users and customers, can get the benefits of you guys testing and implementing it directly?  I can definitely see advantages there when you guys build IPv6 support into DumaOS.  I'm still willing to provide specific feedback, but the troubleshooting/development cycle would go much faster if you're not waiting for user feedback when a change is made.

Thanks for (hopefully) putting this into the next upgrade!

Guest Killhippie
18 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I would ask that when the beta is available that you can give us feedback on this. We don't have native IPv6 at the office, we can simulate this but that's different to a home IPv6 real world scenario. If there are still issues with it in beta you identify then we can make further changes.

Being close to IDNet you should use them, they also have native iPv6 :)

23 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Fraser, as a side-note to the testing, does this mean that you guys will also develop the standard R1 features for use with IPv6?  While just basic support is better than nothing, I also don't want to lose the gaming features that make this router stand apart from all of the others out there...

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, kssxs said:

Fraser, as a side-note to the testing, does this mean that you guys will also develop the standard R1 features for use with IPv6?  While just basic support is better than nothing, I also don't want to lose the gaming features that make this router stand apart from all of the others out there...

DumaOS will be available on all the routers so we'll be ensuring they work for all the routers so that includes the R1 as well. We wouldn't hold back something like that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 2/29/2020 at 5:24 AM, MZJ said:

Fraser, any word on when the beta will be available?

mzj

We're not giving out any timelines/deadlines or estimations on when this may be as it is always subject to change but we aim to do it as soon as possible.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

DumaOS will be available on all the routers so we'll be ensuring they work for all the routers so that includes the R1 as well. We wouldn't hold back something like that.

I just re-read your response, and I wanted to get a clarification...

My original post was regarding usage of the gaming feature-set with IPv6.  Will the standard feature-set of the current firmware work for the IPv6 implementation on the R1?  Specifically, will stuff like the Geo-Filter, and QoS, and all/most other features be supported for use with IPv6?

Thanks again!

• Administrators
12 hours ago, kssxs said:

I just re-read your response, and I wanted to get a clarification...

My original post was regarding usage of the gaming feature-set with IPv6.  Will the standard feature-set of the current firmware work for the IPv6 implementation on the R1?  Specifically, will stuff like the Geo-Filter, and QoS, and all/most other features be supported for use with IPv6?

Thanks again!

Yes it will, we've got it working on our dev units at the moment so will continue testing to ensure optimum compatibility.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it will, we've got it working on our dev units at the moment so will continue testing to ensure optimum compatibility.

Thanks Fraser! :)

Edit: As part of your testing, please make sure that IPv6 routes (pinging sites, v6 traffic, etc) still work after 90 minutes.  That was the main difficulty I have had so far, with routes going stale after the 90 minute RA limit.  Hearing that the rest of the feature-set is going to work is just awesome!

i have another thing to add

when i have ipv6 enabled in most online games it causes lags (like you are disconnected and then picks up again a few seconds after) every few minutes most seen in destiny 2 or other games. when it is disabled or pure ipv4 its working as normal.

edit: router used is a netgear xr500 and yes my internet provider has the option of enabling or disabling ipv6 at the moment.

2 hours ago, MadCheese1337 said:

when i have ipv6 enabled in most online games it causes lags (like you are disconnected and then picks up again a few seconds after) every few minutes most seen in destiny 2 or other games. when it is disabled or pure ipv4 its working as normal.

edit: router used is a netgear xr500 and yes my internet provider has the option of enabling or disabling ipv6 at the moment.

That might be more an issue of having IPv6 enabled on the router itself, not a problem with IPv6.  We saw the recommendation from Netduma to disable IPv6 in a bunch of cases with issues on the R1, so that's what that might be.

Most likely your game is NOT using IPv6 for data exchange, and if you turned it off in your router, not only will it fix your lag issue but it also won't stop your game from working.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, MadCheese1337 said:

When this occurs do you have IPv6 enabled on both the modem and the XR? Do you have the ISP hub in modem mode, bridge mode or using the DMZ?