Have a few questions for you Pro's

Hey guys new to the forums and finally decided to get the XR500, not a big fan of netgear products, to be honest. I am coming from an Asus ac-rt3100 which I had no issues with sppeds or wifi, the QOS is ok not as in depth as the XR500. I live in Los Angeles, and I have At&t gigabit 1000 down 1000 up. I my speeds with the asus were always around 975 up 975 down and ping stayed around 3 to 5ms. Now with XR500 if I turn off QOS I get around those speeds, with it on, I get what I have configured in the QOS. I dont get the 975 like I did on the Asus, but lets be honest when you download stuff you will never use those speeds anyways. I know the ps4 has a download cap, and yes it does down load fast at times. 

Now for my questions

1. When I do the geo thing for black ops, am I suppose to see alot of servers on the map. I have set my radius to 691 miles, cali of course, also picked the COD profile. I have to join a game and its a peer to peer or dedicated server, just one.

2. I am a big BF4 player, I know that the geo thing really does not work for bf games, but there is a profile for it, how does it work? Also I thought BF games were always dedicated servers not peer to peer. I joined one and it showed it as a peep to peer?

Other than that, I really like this product, it looks like it can do alot of stuff for bandwidth, I just need to figure it out, I will in time. 

Thanks in advance guys. 

Pink

What att gateway are you using? Is it set to passthrough mode? Cascade? I have the same service as you. Bgw210 is the att gateway set in passthrough mode but my xr500 cuts the download into the 400's with and without QOS enabled. I have three more days left to figure it out or this will be my second xr500 to be returned for a refund. 

1 hour ago, crunkjuice1 said:

What att gateway are you using? Is it set to passthrough mode? Cascade? I have the same service as you. Bgw210 is the att gateway set in passthrough mode but my xr500 cuts the download into the 400's with and without QOS enabled. I have three more days left to figure it out or this will be my second xr500 to be returned for a refund. 

I have the pace 5268AC, its in passthrough mode, rx500 in dmz. When I got the att service they gave me that router too. I had alot of issues with my asus 3100 until I found some info on telling att to give you the pace 5268ac.

Call att and tell them you want that router! They will exchange it for you and then look at this video on how to configure it, its simple and it works.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, pinkfloyd said:

Now for my questions

1. When I do the geo thing for black ops, am I suppose to see alot of servers on the map. I have set my radius to 691 miles, cali of course, also picked the COD profile. I have to join a game and its a peer to peer or dedicated server, just one.

2. I am a big BF4 player, I know that the geo thing really does not work for bf games, but there is a profile for it, how does it work? Also I thought BF games were always dedicated servers not peer to peer. I joined one and it showed it as a peep to peer?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

You would only see all the servers when you boot up the game and connect to the menu. Its most likely to be a dedicated server marked as a peer.

So you'd put your console in spectating mode (profile would just set it to the whole world incase you put it in filtering so you dont block a game) and then you can see where the server is and ping it. See end of above comment.

So setting up my pc to 95% on the QOS thing for both up load and down load gives me the speeds that I am use to having. 975 down and 975 u. I have unchecked the share thing, should I leave it unchecked or check it to share it?

Yes it does, but I only use internet with att. But I think it should work the same, but dont quote me on it.

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, pinkfloyd said:

So setting up my pc to 95% on the QOS thing for both up load and down load gives me the speeds that I am use to having. 975 down and 975 u. I have unchecked the share thing, should I leave it unchecked or check it to share it?

Yes it does, but I only use internet with att. But I think it should work the same, but dont quote me on it.

Thats good to hear. It depends on what you want. Share excess off will limit each device to the bandwidth allocated to it. Share excess on will give bandwidth to any device that needs it as long as its not being used