Question regarding purchase of R1 vs anything else.

BuzzBazz

While I know a few may read the tag and just say yes I do have some more indepth questions.

I have been reading up on it and while the R1 is most definitely a purchase, I was clued in on the Netgear side of things, so I do know those exist too.

My problem is that pretty much anywhere in Norway (Hi from Trondheim) you get a router with your ISP subscription. We have the ISP called “Get” and they did give me their newest Sagecom but it is not preforming well when we start gaming. The reason I say this is because even if I wanted to, I can’t swap my Sagecom with anything I have because my ISP are dicks and check if it up and running-_-

Thus I don’t want to spend the 300+$ on a Netgear router as I can’t swap it with the Sagecom. I am really leaning towards buying the R1 because I’ll just hook it up to the Sagecom and not care about what the wifi does.

For references both me and the wife are playing on each our Xbox One. Other things include: laptops, phones, tablets, older handheld consoles an a Switch.

But the Xboxes are on cable as I’ve tried to solve some issues there. Not enough.

So (sorry, this got long.), Do I even need to consider anything from Netgear when all I need is something for the Xboxes and maybe my stationary PC?

thanks for any help I can get ;)

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! You could still make use of a Netgear router if you wanted to, I'm not sure if I understand the reason correctly. If you wired up a Netgear router or the R1 to your Sagecom, you could surely use the WiFi on the router and connect all devices to it?

We always recommend this setup: Modem (e.g Sagecom) > Router (e.g R1 or XR500) > All devices. You're right that you can't swap the Sagecom with the R1 or one of the Netgear routers since they can't act as Modems. What is putting you off getting one of the Netgear routers?

• Netduma Staff
1 hour ago, BuzzBazz said:

Yeah you more or less got it😅

The only thing holding me back from a new NG is the price. When it’s almost more than twice the price it’s a hard pill to swallow.

The Netgear routers have plenty of hardware advantages. Hardware Acceleration means the router interface runs more smoothly and the QoS features can run at gigabit speeds. Not to mention that the Netgear routers can handle gigabit speeds in the first place. They've also got a few WiFi range / noise reduction advantages, and can also make use of both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands. These are the types of reasons why people choose the Nighthawk routers over the R1 - pure power and performance.

However, the R1 has its own advantages. It's cheaper, still works perfectly for speeds of less than 300mbps, has great WiFi performance and overall great specs for a router of that price-point. The downside really is it looks like a white brick rather than a Lamborghini, but that's not a drawback for most people.

Ultimately I'd say grab the R1 if you're still weighing this up. At half the cost you'll still get the best game connection possible - the Nighthawk routers don't have any gameplay advantages over the R1 - their advantages are purely to do with running your home network at a higher standard. 

check out this monster https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Band-Supporting-AiProtection-Accelerator-RT-AC5300/dp/B0167HG1V6?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0167HG1V6

and then there is this for a lower price that does almost the same : https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC86U/

Tip: if you want advice on what to buy, ask customers, not the suppliers who has a deal with Netgear and are marketing their products to sell more.

Personally, I have ditched my netduma XR500 into the closet UNTIL they keep their promises and become more professional, then i might take it out of the closet if it has the featuers atleast of an R1. for now, I am using the RT-AC86U and i have to say, Its AMAZING and i might not even want to look back on the XR500 !! i just bought it after a long argument with netduma which after they closed the topic cause they had nothing to say. 

do your research first before upgrading.

• Administrators

Those routers have great hardware (but neither are as powerful as the upcoming XR700), but the differentiator with any DumaOS product is our comprehensive software features, no matter the hardware platform we're on.

We have a lot of new stuff coming for all DumaOS users (we'll be announcing more on this soon) and I think you'll be very impressed!

4 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Ces routeurs ont un excellent matériel (mais ils ne sont pas aussi puissants que le prochain  XR700 ), mais la différence avec tous les produits DumaOS réside dans nos fonctionnalités logicielles complètes, quelle que soit la plate-forme matérielle.

Nous avons beaucoup de nouveautés à venir pour tous les utilisateurs de DumaOS (nous en annoncerons plus bientôt) et je pense que vous serez très impressionnés!

Déjà ping assist dans la prochaine mise à jour serait une très bonne chose et une possibilité de désactivé dpi serait parfait pour moi pour voir les vrais capacité de la QOS et sont anti bufferbloat car sur dsl report aucune possibilité de voir l'efficacité au final on est obligé de passée par ping plotter et c'est dommage et svp plus rapide les mise à jour lol car 3mois pour la dernière (. 32) c'est long surtout pour aucune nouvelle fonctionnalité et j'attends avec impatience les nouvelles fonctionnalités qui pourraient nous surprendre :)

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Locosano said:

Already ping assist in the next update would be a very good thing and a possibility of disabled dpi would be perfect for me to see the true capacity of the QOS and are anti bufferbloat because on dsl report no possibility to see the effectiveness in the end one is obliged to pass by ping plotter and it's a pity and please faster update lol because 3 months for the last (.32) is long especially for no new feature and I look forward to new features that could surprise us :)

Lots of great stuff coming Loco! You'll be impressed 😊