Netduma noob, geo-filter, portfowarding, HELP!:P

Hi!

Got my netduma r1 router yesterday, and installed/set it up as shown on the paper that came with the box. I also followed the steps from the tour guide, and from the "optimal settings" guide from the wiki page. I also port forwarded, or tried at least, as shown in the picture. I sat my radius in the geo-filter to cover Europe, and a max ping of 50ms, as shown in the picture.

I started finding a match, and saw all these red dots, yellow triangles pop up, which i think i know the meaning of. And when the lobby was full, the red dots mainly popped up in UK and mid/southern EU. When the game was loading, i watched my geo-filter and waited for the host to pop up, bigger circle, red or yellow (dedi?), if im not mistaken? First couple of seconds, there was a big red circle in UK, but when the game was loading further, the red circle in UK disappeared, and it suddenly jumped to Central America, as shown in the picture, and most of games all the way to Seattle, in US. I know, from a video "Drift0r" posted on YT, that there is a dedi in Seattle, and thats where the HQ of Microsoft are, and where your xbox one pings to when testing your network speed on the xbox one, and also one dedi near the location in the picture (think its Dallas, Texas). I looked at the ping graph mid-game, but the ping didnt go above the 50ms ive set in mye geo-filter, which was good. This happened most of the games i played yesterday, only a few games there was a big red circle in UK. I was rarely below 4bar in-game, but cant say i felt much difference on the connection and bulletreg (still got "melted" and "warriored") from netduma r1 and the netgear nighthawk i had before.

My questions are: Why, when ive set my radius to cover only Europe, did i/the lobby connect to Seattle, US, maybe 12/15 games? Are there no dedis in Europe, and if not, were the internet to everyone else too bad to establish a good host for the lobby? Last question: Have i set up my ports for the xbox one and AW correctly? 

This was a long one, ladies and gents, and hopefully the longest ill ever post, if i can get the help i need. Looking forward to answers and solutions to the problems:)

Thanks! 

post-2622-0-83664000-1435159539_thumb.jpg
post-2622-0-89781100-1435159549_thumb.jpg

• Netduma Staff

Hia Teenorway, welcome to the forums :)

First of all, most people just use UPnP togged an Open NAT. If port forwarding has worked for you then I guess it doesn't matter but I just though I'd let you know that UPnP does work on this router so it's pretty much plug and play.

Regarding the coloured circles, drift0r was on an admin version of the router so he can see the different colours. This version is now obsolete and most people do not have it.

Can you follow the instructions here to see if that stops you connecting the the dedi in the US. If that doesn't work can you take a screen shot of the very top of the GeoFilter and post it here please. Thanks :)

• Netduma Staff

Thanks! Will follow the instructions when gaming later tonight, and hopefully after, reply again with a huge smile, haha:P

Ok, awesome! As the guide says, the first thing to check is that strict mode is enabled and that the GeoFilter is enabled (the button should say 'disable') but there are pictures in the guide so if you read through that, hopefully you will find the problem and can fix it :)

• Administrators

Hi Teenorway, and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy using your Netduma. Please follow Crossys instructions.

Thanks Crossy! 

:D  :D  :D  :D 
After doing some changes in the congestion control, i think ive found the best settings for me, so far. I followed the ideal setup from netdumawiki, but since those settings didnt help me the way i wanted, i tried something out myself. I sat the cap-bars from 70% down to 60%, and gave my xbox one 55(%) of the device prioritisasion. I play with the reactive mode, strict mode and geo-filter enabled. The last couple of days when playing, i feel these settings really helped and i can feel a positive difference, considering the bullet reg, which is almost everything in COD.

One thing ive noticed, from before, is that i still can connect to, what i think is a dedi in Seattle, even though ive only covered europe in my geo-filter. A host i Europe can be selected when the lobbys getting full, but the majority of the games switches to the Seattle host when loading in. My ping graph shows me a stable 30-40ms ping when connected to that host all the way to US, and the connection in those games are almost good every time. But when connected to different hosts in Europe, the ping graph can vary much more, and sometimes show me a higher ping than what ive set in the "host-filtering" (currently 45ms), even though im closer geographically. In those games, i can feel the connection is worse, so im kind of happy with connecting all the way to Seattle, even though my settings arent set to connect over seas:)

I havent quite figured out how to block hosts, so i wont connect to them in the future, or set preferred hosts, but according to the legend, the seattle host is an "always allow host" type, and i dont think ive done that, because i dont know how to:P So a link or a video about that topic would be nice.

Thats all! Im currently enjoying the netduma r1 router, and thanks again for your help:)

• Administrators

Hey Teenor, if you click on that host in Seattle, in the host descriptor box that pops up is their an update button? If there is its not a dedi, if there isn't its a dedi. Also as you do have a low ping to it, its definitely a misclassified location so could you copy the ID and post it here please with where it shows and where you think its real location is http://forum.netduma.com/topic/1723-cloud-incorrect-locations/page-3

The ping assist works by assisting the Geo-filter, if it detects any hosts outside your filter that are below your ping limit it will allow them to connect. Any hosts inside or your radius are allowed regardless of ping, which is why we allow you to block bad hosts, but not dedis as blocking these can ruin your game experience.

To block a host click on the circle, if there is an update button drag the slider really low, say 0-25% or so and click update, it should then appear in the red section below. If it hasn't you can drag the curtains to resize them. 

To allow a host you do the same as above if theres an update button but rate it higher, say 75-100% and click update, it should appear in the green section. 

Hope that helps :) 

Hi! Been gone for a couple of days, so havent had a chance to play, copy the host ID or reply. But yes, theres no update button on the host i was talking about. And im pretty sure its in Seattle, as shown in the legend and its like 7300 something km away. But that host was one of the best hosts ive played on so far, a stable 30ms ping if i remember correctly. 

But i played tonight and was going to take a photo or copy of the seattle host descriptor, but something has happened. I turned on my xbox to play, had the geo-filter page opened and started finding games. I had my settings set as i had last time, when i told you guys everything was awesome. But all the games/lobbys i came into gave me the same host. A host in central europe i think, 964km away, with no update button, so a dedi (Picture below). I thought this would be as good or better than the seattle host, but that turned out to be very wrong. This host had a ping of 100ms and above every game, which was terrible, considering last time i played (almost every game connected to the seattle host), where everything worked out great.

I tried rebooting the router, restart my modem, but still, i kept connecting to that bad host. So i didnt get any opportunity to connect and copy the seattle host ID, plus the gaming experience tonight was shitty:(

Both xbox live- and advanced warfare servers were fully operational. My internetsurfing, speed test info, streaming/downloading worked like it normally does, as i checked to find out if there was anything wrong with my internet. And as told above, i cant block dedis, and i really dont want to play if thats the host ill always connect to:( I dont know what the problem is, and would really appreciate any help i can get:)  

#bringbacktheseattlehost  haha :D  

post-2622-0-23455100-1436216890_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Ensure you are waiting 2 minutes between games for everything to clear on the Geo-filter otherwise it will be more than likely to put you into the same game. Move your location around to avoid connecting to it and ensure you put strict on and ping assist at around 30 or so to ensure you don't connect to it again.

• 1 month later...

I think that if you disconnect the item and then delete the item from the device manager it removes it. You might have to restart the Netduma to delete it from the device manager.

Archived