UK ISP ratings for August 2018

BIG__DOG

Hi all.

There have been several posts/comments regarding a good isp. Therefore I have decided to add the full official list of the top rated ISP's published by ThinkBroadband for the UK for August 2018. I will post ratings once a month to help UK members decide on a good choice ISP. I hope someone will find this helpful.

BD

Provider Rank
Based on Customer Service
(change since previous month)
Customer Service Reliability Overall Satisfaction
AAISP 1 (=) 99.1% 97.6% 98.8%
IDNet 2 (=) 94.2% 90.9% 91.3%
Zen Internet 3 (=) 91.5% 89.8% 88.8%
Hyperoptic 4 (new entry) 89.2% 86.9% 89.5%
Daisy Wholesale 5 (-1) 76.2% 78.6% 77.2%
Plusnet 6 (-1) 75.7% 76.8% 75.5%
EE Mobile 3G/4G 7 (-1) 72.2% 72.0% 71.6%
Three 3G/4G 8 (new entry) 69% 63.5% 65.2%
EE (fixed line) 9 (-2) 68.8% 62.6% 63.9%
Vodafone Home Broadband 10 (-1) 68.1% 68.4% 69.3%
Sky 11 (-3) 67.4% 68.2% 66.4%
Virgin Media 12 (-2) 65.4% 66.2% 59.6%
BT 13 (-2) 60.6% 68.3% 65.7%
TalkTalk 14 (-2) 57.4% 64.6% 62.7%

People that frequent TBB forums will be the types that read posts, learn good networking etiquette and sign up to the likes of AAISP, ZEN etc.

The general public that I speak to at work think WiFi signal is their connections, wondering why they have drop outs in an old build thick walled house, or that using a 20 meter telephone extension cable witha router on the end of it is a good idea to booking in devices saying they are slow and when I test them before servicing they are really quick to find that they do some of these things or live 5 miles from their exchange on ADSL  thinking its either their devices or ISP fault.

These are the types that use the big company like Sky, BT, TalkTalk and blame them before themselves ,many people do not want to learn about the protocols or devices they use and usually say why cant I just turn it on and it just work the way I want it too.

I understand it can be hard for people and that is why I love to help them learn about it.

So for me the list is not a real reflection of how good the ISP's are, yes the big hitters have bad call centres but they do have good web sites for help.

1 hour ago, Zennon said:

People that frequent TBB forums will be the types that read posts, learn good networking etiquette and sign up to the likes of AAISP, ZEN etc.

The general public that I speak to at work think WiFi signal is their connections, wondering why they have drop outs in an old build thick walled house, or that using a 20 meter telephone extension cable witha router on the end of it is a good idea to booking in devices saying they are slow and when I test them before servicing they are really quick to find that they do some of these things or live 5 miles from their exchange on ADSL  thinking its either their devices or ISP fault.

These are the types that use the big company like Sky, BT, TalkTalk and blame them before themselves ,many people do not want to learn about the protocols or devices they use and usually say why cant I just turn it on and it just work the way I want it too.

I understand it can be hard for people and that is why I love to help them learn about it.

So for me the list is not a real reflection of how good the ISP's are, yes the big hitters have bad call centres but they do have good web sites for help.

I agree entirely. Just thought it would help some members out there.  And a vast majority of people use wifi as their connection. Surveys can be taken with a pinch of salt and I no doubt can find another survey with polar opposite results.  But, virginmedia should be at the bottom of any survey! :)

5 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

I agree entirely. Just thought it would help some members out there.  And a vast majority of people use wifi as their connection. Surveys can be taken with a pinch of salt and I no doubt can find another survey with polar opposite results.  But, virginmedia should be at the bottom of any survey! :)

Yeah not TT, I have used them for years since the ADSL+2 days and I have never had one issue, yeah I do not need to phone for help but if you set your home network up correctly and do not have shoddy BT cables out side of your property it is ace.