Jitter diagnostics says ok

jason1077

Hi,

What would cause Jitter to change from good to ok?

Just did a diag test and the Jitter now says ok in orange. It used to say Ok in green.

I have not changed anything in my setup at all.

Just wondering what would cause this this change.

Thanks in advance.

Could be an issue with your line or congestion around your area. Does it change to just 'ok' at a certain time in the day? :)

I ran a test last night. It showed Ok in orange for jitter.

I ran the test this morning and I just ran it again just now. Same thing it says Ok in orange for jitter.

That sucks game play was horrid last night.

• Administrators

I ran a test last night. It showed Ok in orange for jitter.

I ran the test this morning and I just ran it again just now. Same thing it says Ok in orange for jitter.

That sucks game play was horrid last night.

I'd recommend doing the show details when you do a test and copy them and compile enough to go to your ISP to try and get it resolved if possible.

I'd recommend doing the show details when you do a test and copy them and compile enough to go to your ISP to try and get it resolved if possible.

I called them and told them about the jitter and they told me everything looks good.

They recommended for me to setup an appointment with a technician. Would cost me $50.00.

Ran the test.

It shows ping Ok jitter Ok Spikes Ok.

Ran the test again.

It shows Ping good jitter Ok Spikes good.

Is it normal for it to change that frequent?

Also not sure if it would do any good going down to my ISP and show the the details. Sometimes I get the feeling some of them have no clue. LOL!

It can change because it is contention / congestion based meaning other users are causing the issues so when there are multiple users downloading or uploading all at the same time and there is not enough bandwidth for all of you.

This is when you will see the problem

It can change because it is contention / congestion based meaning other users are causing the issues so when there are multiple users downloading or uploading all at the same time and there is not enough bandwidth for all of you.

This is when you will see the problem

I should have enough bandwith. 105download and 25upload

These symptoms point to the isp's total bandwidth is not enough for all people paying for it in your area.

Their use eats into your bandwidth so it acts like local congestion would if somebody was in your house downloading.

Hi,

I have attached some screen shot of ping diagnostics.

If you could point out to me where this jitter is happening. I want to get a better understanding of this.

I called up my ISP again and told them what I saw on these screen shots and still they could not give me a valid response.

Thanks in advance.

post-999-0-78411700-1435077430_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-89664000-1435077431_thumb.jpg

post-999-0-43213200-1435077432_thumb.jpg

Your base ping is around 17ms a normal line would say 17 all the way with the odd 18 here and there on the duma diags it is peaking at 44 that is a jitter of 27.

A steady at 17ms would be a great line for you , you might see the odd 1ms of jitter to 18ms this is under idle conditions.

I would be very unhappy with 27ms jitter personaly for me thats high others might not think so . ISP's might not see it that way but for gaming its not great.

I have seen my friend have 300ms of jitter before but he stays with the isp and i have to put up with him saying the game is ****.

I have no choice in ISP in my area that is why i am still with them.

Everything was fine until this past friday night. That's when all the hit markers and lag started.

I'm on the phone now with my ISP hopefully it can be resolved.

Well you said it your self your seeing hitmarkers and your game is off, the jitter is bad for gaming.

It might be that you have more jitter at peak times when your neighbours start to torrent , stream etc , keep testing.

Ping plotter is a good idea as that can run for hours at a time.

I think it is for dampening spikes on dedicated servers / hosts I am not sure about home connections , Iain or Fraser will know the answer to this.

Archived