NHXR500 + PS4 + PS4

Good Afternoon :)

Recently purchased the XR500 and we are noticing that when my girlfriend and I are both playing PVP in Destiny 2 in the same fireteam, one of us will have latency issues, including hit registry and NAT issues etc, however the other one is fine.

Additionally, there was an instance when we were in PVE (Escalation Protocol) where we were in the same fireteam, we beat the final boss 3 times and it did not register for me killing boss and thus no rewards or completion on my emblem. When I reset my playstation and re-configured my connection via PlayStation settings on home screen then went back into fireteam, we completed another EP, I got the rewards however my girlfriend didn't have the completion count this time. When we're in different fireteams doing the same event we never have issues, it's only when we're in the same fireteam.

Our setup is as follows (Australia). Router plugged straight into NBN box (fibre to premises). My PS4, my girlfriends PS4 and PC plugged into router. Router has latest firmware.

Is anyone else experiencing issues when playing in the same fireteam? It only happens when we play together in the same team, when we're playing with different people we don't notice an issue. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT

Noticed in "Settings / Advanced Settings / UPnP" that our PlayStations are not in there. Not sure if this is an issue, however when we first purchased it they were showing there. Saw in a previous thread that saving profile, factory resetting etc opened the ports there however we haven't had success.

Again, any help to rectify this issue would be greatly appreciated. The router cost us $500 in Australia, it would be great if we could get the intended use for it.

Regards,

Brad

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

So you're on Firmware Version 2.3.2.22 is that right? If so, do a connection test on each console. Do you see ports in the UPnP table then? 

Remove any port forwarding/triggering rules you may have set up as well as removing any device from the DMZ. I can't think that its a router issue specifically as doesn't sound like you're having issues with connectivity. Remove both consoles from the Geo-Filter and see if that resolves it.

Have you looked online for anyone experiencing the same issues?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

So you're on Firmware Version 2.3.2.22 is that right? If so, do a connection test on each console. Do you see ports in the UPnP table then? 

Remove any port forwarding/triggering rules you may have set up as well as removing any device from the DMZ. I can't think that its a router issue specifically as doesn't sound like you're having issues with connectivity. Remove both consoles from the Geo-Filter and see if that resolves it.

Have you looked online for anyone experiencing the same issues?

Thanks for the welcome :)

Regarding firmware, yes we are on the latest version.

In "Setup/LAN settings" I actually had set a static IP for our PS4's .. Mine is set to .6 and my girlfriends is set to .7. Now I've had a look at UPnP settings and there are indeed ports open, however it is set to IP address ending in .4 which is my PC

There are no port forwarding or triggering rules or devices in the DMZ.

When doing a connection test, do we do it in the routerlogin.net settings or do you mean via PlayStation settings?

I have removed both PS's from GeoFilter and I had searched prior to posting here and wasn't able to find a solution or anyone sharing the same problem.

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to hearing back from you.

I meant via the consoles network settings, that should prompt UPnP to open ports as it does tests for NAT

Yeap, we setup a new connection on PS and tested again after every attempt. Still nothing with both our PS4's, only 2 ports that are open are for the PC

• Administrators

Hi Brad - there was an issue with an earlier version of the firmware with UPNP not showing the open ports and it's possible you still have that. Could you try installing this version instead:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware%20Version%202.3.2.22

Also - when you do the network tests on the PS4s, what is the NAT status? The bug with the older firmware was that ports were being opened, they just did not populate the table.

If both tests are showing open NATs you should be good to go from a networking side.

Hi Brad - there was an issue with an earlier version of the firmware with UPNP not showing the open ports and it's possible you still have that. Could you try installing this version instead:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware%20Version%202.3.2.22

Also - when you do the network tests on the PS4s, what is the NAT status? The bug with the older firmware was that ports were being opened, they just did not populate the table.

If both tests are showing open NATs you should be good to go from a networking side.

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The listed firmware is the same version I have, I downloaded and applied anyway. When I'm in PS4 settings and setup the connection it comes up with a type2 NAT. Even with the linked firmware the IP addresses linked to the PS4's do not populate in the UPnP, still only my PC.

Guest Killhippie

Destiny only uses UPnP when two PS4's are used at the same time. So if both are on at the same time you should see something in UPnP tables.

Hard power off the PS consoles. Then try setting NAT Filter to OPEN on the router, save settings and reboot the router. This maybe needed for two or more game consoles. I use this for my two xbox's. Ensure no Port Forwarding or DMZ is used for any consoles. After it's back online, power on one console and check NAT. Then power ON the 2nd console and check NAT. At most you'll get for NAT status on PS will be NAT type 2. NAT 1 is the PS connected directly to the ISP modem.

Checking uPnP, after applying FW, if you haven't done a full factory erase and your just applying FW over the top of prior FW and Configuration, a full ERASE and set up from scratch maybe needed. To see if uPnP populates correctly.

Try a different browser as well.

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The listed firmware is the same version I have, I downloaded and applied anyway. When I'm in PS4 settings and setup the connection it comes up with a type2 NAT. Even with the linked firmware the IP addresses linked to the PS4's do not populate in the UPnP, still only my PC.

Guest Killhippie

Hard power off the PS consoles. Then try setting NAT Filter to OPEN on the router, save settings and reboot the router. This maybe needed for two or more game consoles. I use this for my two xbox's. Ensure no Port Forwarding or DMZ is used for any consoles. After it's back online, power on one console and check NAT. Then power ON the 2nd console and check NAT. At most you'll get for NAT status on PS will be NAT type 2. NAT 1 is the PS connected directly to the ISP modem.

Checking uPnP, after applying FW, if you haven't done a full factory erase and your just applying FW over the top of prior FW and Configuration, a full ERASE and set up from scratch maybe needed. To see if uPnP populates correctly.

Just to point out  the secured option provides a secured firewall to protect the devices on the LAN from attacks from the Internet, but it may cause some Internet games, point-to-point applications and multimedia applications not to work properly. The open option provides a much less secured option and it will allows almost all Internet applications to work. So you take your chances really depending on what you need. I suppose it depends how solid the SPI firewall on the XR500 is at the end of the day. :)

Yes that's a given. Been running NAT Filter Open for a while now. ZERO issues with it or any problems with the router, hacks or gaming when using OPEN for my two consoles. This option is only suggested for two or more game consoles behind one router or two or more consoles playing a lot of multi player online games that check NAT settings. Single game consoles should use SECURE NAT Filter.

Thank you for the responses guys, much appreciated.

How are they connected, via ethernet or WiFi? Do you have a PS4 in the DMZ? If so that would explain one not showing up

via cat6 wired. PS4's are not in DMZ.

Destiny only uses UPnP when two PS4's are used at the same time. So if both are on at the same time you should see something in UPnP tables.

We regularly play at the same time and UPnP does not populate when both or one are connected.

Attempted the hard power off  in all instances. I did not do a factory reset so I'll try that. Will also try the NAT filter to open as you suggested and see how that works. My friends have been ddos'd in the past, does this open us up to being more susceptible to ddos attacks? My girlfriend and I play a lot of competitive Destiny and this happens more regularly than you'd like. 

Will also try on another browser other than Google Chrome and see if that fixes anything.

Again, many thanks for the help and suggestions guys, much appreciated.