XR500 - Remote Connection, Devices, etc, etc.

Just picked up this router over the weekend.

Some questions:

Tried using this with an X4S Range Extender from Netgear but it constantly dropped the connection to the router and the the 5ghz band with a red light.  I have to locate it in my basement as that is where the internet connection go.  Moving the extender on the main floor, as close as possible to the router, resulted in the same.  So, basically I can't use the X4S.  I used the X6s and it seemed to handle the X4s connection on the main floor but I also need one upstairs and that wasn't really working with either but worked better with the X6s.  is this just the X6s having more range because of AC4000 vs AC2600, etc.

Device management/renaming on the Duma OS is frantic at best.  Just too much movement between offline/online devices and I end up clicking on the wrong device half the time to rename it or check it.  Is there another area where we can see a device list that's static for this sort of exercise?

Trying to connect to my router remotely using my no-ip DDNS does not work.  It takes forever to draw up the GUI but most times it just clocks after prompting for my username and password and doesn't bring up the GUI screen.

I had to get Orbi because the extenders would not work.  I have Orbi in AP mode but I cut the XR500 at the knees by disabling its wireless radios.  I don't like this because I prefer my router to contribute to the wireless network.  From a management side, it's cleaner as now I have to logon to Orbi and/or XR500 to manage stuff.  Anybody have any idea if the EX8000 extender would have more punch to keep the connection active between router and extender?  And, does it work in daisy chain mode as I would probably need 2?  This way, I could use the wireless of the XR500.

And finally, worth having the XR500 if I'm cutting its wireless radios off for the Orbi.  I would be doing the same with X6s with the Orbi but it's $70 bucks cheaper than the XR500.  Evaluating both so which one would you keep but I would like to primarily use either router with wireless enabled and extenders.

Thanks.

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum!

So the X4S is wired to the XR500 but is dropping connection? Have you tried a different cable between the X4S and the XR500? Is your setup XR500 > X4S > All Devices? It's not very likely to be range, the X4S should be able to cover an average sized home.

There's currently no way to rename devices other than using the device manager. Thanks for letting us know you'd like a table mode though, we will consider this for future updates.

For the GUI not loading on remote access, there is an issue with Google Chrome that could be causing it. Try using Firefox or another browser. If this doesn't work I'd recommend contacting Netgear support since we didn't develop this feature - their 24/7 support line is very helpful :)

If your new setup is XR500 > Orbi > All Devices that should work great, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to use the XR500 WiFi. So long as all devices are running through the XR500 you should be able to use DumaOS as intended.

I am having a slight issue with NO-IP as well, I have it set up as my dynamic dns and when I click verify it tells me my sign in info is wrong even though it isn't. Have you verified that your no-ip is working properly? This could be why it never connects.

• Administrators

I haven't tried it myself but I would recommend logging in here: http://support.netgear.com/and calling the 24/7 Support Line that it gives you. The Settings are made by Netgear so they would be better suited to helping resolve any issues in that department.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

So the X4S is wired to the XR500 but is dropping connection? Have you tried a different cable between the X4S and the XR500? Is your setup XR500 > X4S > All Devices? It's not very likely to be range, the X4S should be able to cover an average sized home.

There's currently no way to rename devices other than using the device manager. Thanks for letting us know you'd like a table mode though, we will consider this for future updates.

For the GUI not loading on remote access, there is an issue with Google Chrome that could be causing it. Try using Firefox or another browser. If this doesn't work I'd recommend contacting Netgear support since we didn't develop this feature - their 24/7 support line is very helpful :)

If your new setup is XR500 > Orbi > All Devices that should work great, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to use the XR500 WiFi. So long as all devices are running through the XR500 you should be able to use DumaOS as intended.

No, the X4s extender is not a wired extender, it is Netgears Nighthawk X4s EX7500 wireless extender.  It would not maintain a stable connection with the XR500.  I moved the extender as close a possible on the main floor to the XR500 in the basement but it would drop the connection.  The X6s was rather solid at keeping the extender connection active in comparison to the XR500.  And, with that setup, I would have needed another extender on the top floor but I believe these are start topology (not daisy chained) so they have to go back to the router and the XR500 just could not keep the connection but the X6s was intermittent up top.

Do you know if the EX8000 Netgear Extender will work better.  it's like Orbi but meant to extend WiFi using the router so you don't cut the wireless off @ the router.  And, does the EX8000 do Daisy Chain or not?

• Administrators

I imagine the cause of this is Smart Connect where it will flick between 2.4/5Ghz depending on the needs of devices. If you turn this off so they're broadcasting independently with the extender does it work as expected then?

Answered in your other topic but I'm getting the EX8000 this week for testing so can give an opinion on it next week.