XR500 Reset Itself???????

Hey guys,

So tonight around 3 AM my router reset itself. Was there some kind of update? I had already updated to the latest firmware on the 25th of this month after I installed it for the first time. This was not a factory reset. Any info will be appreciated.

Guest Killhippie

Hey guys,

So tonight around 3 AM my router reset itself. Was there some kind of update? I had already updated to the latest firmware on the 25th of this month after I installed it for the first time. This was not a factory reset. Any info will be appreciated.

I would do a hard reset and enter all your settings manually. if you updated on the 25th to 2.2.1.10 then you have the latest but maybe a hard rest after is a good idea. I generally hard rest routers after updates and don't use any back up files to restore. Sometimes using old config files can bring incompatibilities with it to the new firmware. See if a hard rest cures the issue.

This article by RMerlin explains why its a good idea to factory rest and why not to use a save config file. He develops firmware along side Asus and knows what he is talking about.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It's likely it did an update if you have auto firmware upgrade on. When done automatically they're usually done overnight. It's possible it did a factory reset after this as well. Have you noticed it happen any other time? If not I'd disable auto firmware upgrade and then monitor to see if it happens again.

I’ve never noticed this happen since I got it. I’d hate to have to do a factory reset on it just because of all the settings I’d have to go back through. My firmware is set to do automatic updates. But I already had the latest firmware installed. Plus done of my settings were changed once the router came back online. It’s like it just did a self restart or something like that. I lost internet and went to look at the router and it looked just like it would as if you turned it off and then turned it back on.

Plus it have been that the lease renewed itself? I tried to go back in the logs and see what it could have been but I guess they copy over themselves after a certain amount of time because I could only go back to 5 in the morning.

One thing I did notice was that in the logs there were a lot of “failed login attempts” from my computer but I wasn’t even trying to log in during those times. I noticed those logs as well while looking at things after I got the router set up after I bought it. Is that normal?

• Administrators

You can backup most of your settings from Settings > Administration > Backup settings so when you do a factory reset you can easily restore and it'll save a lot of time. So you already had V2.2.1.10 installed prior to this? 

Yes the lease could have released itself but very odd that would cause it to reset, can you extend the lease please and keep an eye on it and see if it happens again towards the end of the lease time?

I imagine it is probably when the login times out but I'd recommend changing your WiFi details just in case. (I'm assuming no one else but you would be accessing the interface).

Yes 2.2.1.10 was already installed. That was installed during the initial setup.

I’ll watch it later tonight as the lease is set to expire then.

The thing is that my login details are custom for the dumaOS login and the actual router WiFi access and the guest access is disabled. I didn’t stick with the default credentials the router came with. No one but myself access the dumaOS interface or has the login information but myself.

One other thing I’ve noticed as well is that I can be navigating the dumaOS interface and not even 5 minutes after I log in while navigating around it will ask me for my log in credentials again as if I had logged out or it lost connection. Is that normal?

If I were to do a factory reset tonight and still experienced problems would you suggest returning the router and exchanging it for a new one?

• Administrators

Okay that's fine then, probably just indicating the login has timed out. Logs are for the developers so I wouldn't worry about anything you see in there. 

Shouldn't be that quick, do you have cookies & cache enabled in your browser?

If it's the issue I'm thinking it is then I've already given Netgear dev team the details so hopefully they could work on a fix and there would be no need for a replacement.