Advantages of using R7800 router as an AP behind XR500

Hi all, I am considering the XR500 mainly because: #1 the customer service and #2 the Duma OS. I am currently using the NG R7800 with Voxels Latest FW and love it!! BUT....... The QOS on the R7800 is disappointing. I typically have 7-10 devices connected and currently have the QOS turned off on my R7800 because it has never seemed to work correctly and my speeds are nothing near what i am paying for when its on. I have spectrum 300/20 with NG's CM600 modem

So I was wondering if there is any advantage to using my R7800 as an AP ONLY for all my wireless devices?  I want to dedicate the XR500 for my wired devices (mainly XB1). It just seems like a waste of a great router NOT to use it as an AP and maybe take some of the load off the XR500 which i know is more that capable of handling the work load. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.   

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Theres no real benefit or downside to doing that if you wish to. WiFi I should imagine they're on par with each other. The devices will appear as individual devices on the XR500 as well so it will be like having them connected to the XR500 WiFi anyway. 

it is a great router and there is really no point in having your other as an AP as it can handle A LOT of devices. I have 19 and it don't break a sweat. 

I would say this though, if you have a very large house and your wifi was not top rate all over you could buy a pair of powerline adaptors and plug your R7800 into 1 and use it as an AP that way to really boost wifi coverage!