Getting an A but not an A+ on DSLReports?

Hello and welcome to the forum. 

Gaming over wifi is not advisable as it can cause a poor gaming experience such as lag. It is always best to game over ethernet whenever possible.If you are using 2 consoles I suggest you go into your xbox network settings and change the port from 3074 to 3075 or alternatively put 1 of the consoles into DMZ.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Splattered23 said:

Hello! I've had an XR500 for maybe a year now and i've always experienced lag in my games like COD and Destiny though i've always assumed it's mostly the ISP fault as i live a bit outside of town. I have been doing some research on the router and stumbled onto this forum so figured i'd ask some questions. I have COX gigablast so i set my QoS settings to 940/35 and then changed the sliders to 70/70 as suggested in the first post. The ping tool says my ping is average around 43ms though... how do i improve this? I only game on Xbox and PS4 and have not messed with the Geo-Filter at all. Sometimes in COD my xbox NAT will say open while my wife's says closed and they're sitting next to each other. My Duma WAN settings are set to secure NAT filtering and i've read changing this to open can cause security issues? Me my wife and two kids all game on different consoles so i'm not sure the best way to try and fix all of this or if it's even possible. Even when only one console is on i get pretty bad lag though. Everything is connected via wi-fi and i've tried changing the wi-fi channels and some basic stuff but for 2.4ghz i only get between 40-100mb down and 35 up, and then the 5ghz i get more like 250mb down and 35 up. I've checked speeds on my phone before and have seen over 700mb though my computers and consoles usually see very slow speeds. Most settings right now are at default except for the bufferbloat section.

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

If you do a speedtest.net test wired from a PC when no other devices are using the internet, what ping does it give you? You will likely need to fine tune QoS and actually use the Geo-Filter to lower your ping, depending on the results of that test. I would recommend with so many console to switch NAT to Open, you are still protected by the firewall so no need to be concerned. Would suggest trying to connect the gaming devices to ethernet if you can but if you absolutely have to use WiFi then have them connect via 2.4GHz.