Jump to content
Madman

Peer Ping and Geo Filter Question

Recommended Posts

This topic has been on my mind for a while now, why is it that when I'm looking at the Geo filter map not all the players connected to the lobby are popping up? I kind of have an idea of why this is happening but I wanted to get the devs input on this, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As most of the time you're connecting to a dedicated server you will not always see the players. The players that you will see however will be inside your radius, the others outside your radius you won't see but it doesn't matter because you're connecting to the server closest to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As most of the time you're connecting to a dedicated server you will not always see the players. The players that you will see however will be inside your radius, the others outside your radius you won't see but it doesn't matter because you're connecting to the server closest to you.

So unless you are a party host you won't see them popup? In WW2, it picks a lobby host (a peer not a dedi) then transfers to the dedicated server once the game starts. I do realize that it may be irrelevant but it just bothers not being able to ping everyone in a lobby while the peer ping is running.

 

The reason I ask is because I have been conducting a test based on peer ping, but without seeing every peer ping it may hinder the results, which I may share if the data proves accurate. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So unless you are a party host you won't see them popup? In WW2, it picks a lobby host (a peer not a dedi) then transfers to the dedicated server once the game starts. I do realize that it may be irrelevant but it just bothers not being able to ping everyone in a lobby while the peer ping is running.

 

The reason I ask is because I have been conducting a test based on peer ping, but without seeing every peer ping it may hinder the results, which I may share if the data proves accurate. Thanks.

 

Ah right - well what Fraser said is the case, you'll only see players within your radius when you're connected to a dedicated server due to the nature of those servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other players ping to a dedicated server are important, stop saying they are not. We want to see who the guy lag compin-stompin the lobby is. Its 100% of the time some guy from outside of your radius. Once we can put names to a ping and see a full ping history of all players from a match - you can start putting pieces together to see what they problem is online and why there is a such a huge advantage and imbalance at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 3:41 PM, Evangelisuk said:

Other players ping to a dedicated server are important, stop saying they are not. We want to see who the guy lag compin-stompin the lobby is. Its 100% of the time some guy from outside of your radius. Once we can put names to a ping and see a full ping history of all players from a match - you can start putting pieces together to see what they problem is online and why there is a such a huge advantage and imbalance at the moment.

Aye it's important, but it'll always be out of your control. If you could block players from joining a server, that'd destroy other peoples experience and technically be cheating. Still though man, we know it's a big issue and we're all for solving the big issues with gaming online. If there's a way to get through encryption and other obstacles to display other players then we'll do it some day.

Also game history will be developed some day I'm sure, it's on our roadmap along with a bunch of other cool features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that’s pretty exciting news. Yesterday, I matched some players outside of my radius even with my ping assist set to zero and got ddosed. I haven’t found anything online that shows the meaning of all of the icons on the geofilter map, and I couldn’t block these guys guys in time, but they were like fuzzy triangles. 

(And I’m playing Destiny 2 btw, they do not have dedicated servers)

My connection in area I was playing in yesterday was okay, but is there a point in having a vpn? If I used that along side what is already offered, still learning what and all is offered, but would that slow down my connection possibly while i matchmaking in other countries like yesterday? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds like they were blocked but due to the games hybrid system they still joined through the server. If you are absolutely certain you're being DDoSed then a VPN would be beneficial to protect your connection. You would still have plenty of bandwidth to game with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I wasn’t using purevpn at the time and considering canceling my membership. I’m 100% certain I was ddosed to some degree. It could have been another method. I looked at their match history. All of those previous games, they played 2-3 opponents in a 4v4 playlist and the players were booted at the beginning of the match. It said I was disconnected or something at first and I started to load back in then got totally disconnected and had to load back into the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting - could be a DDoS, but then again how would that player have gained your IP address? It's more likely to be some kind of exploit within the game itself, not a targeted attack on your network itself. I play D2 as well, there's plenty of cheating / hacking goin' on - lag switching being the major problem on consoles and PC.

You can change your DNS on both but it's not a massive deal; google DNS is the fastest, but it only makes a millisecond difference in online load times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about port forwarding? Is this something I should do and would it have any adverse effects with how I play online in different countries? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Seraph said:

What about port forwarding? Is this something I should do and would it have any adverse effects with how I play online in different countries? 

Nah. I wouldn't bother unless your NAT isn't open - it's only necessary to open your NAT. It should already be open if you're using UPnP, and you can test your NAT dead easily on your console network settings.

It won't have adverse effects, but it's just not worth doing unless you need to solve a specific NAT related issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep running into some issues here with error code Marionberry. I usually don’t get these errors. It there something I adjust to prevent this from happening? Like anything.. I’m set up wirelessly and can’t go wired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. Oddly enough, I’ve never had that ticked over the last couple of weeks. I tried googling for answers to what to do, but just came up short on answers like change your dns and port foward. So, I’m not sure what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you get kicked from the game do you have anything showing up as blocked on the Geo-Filter? Also as a test change to spectating mode, do you still experience the disconnects?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure what ya mean by blocked on the map. I didn’t see a peer I denied from an earlier match. I’m not exactly sure what the effects of playing destiny 2 in other countries in spectating mode or strict mode. When the error code happens, it has been new players. 

Im not sure if my dns has anything to do with it either. On default, it looks like my secondary dns is 0.0.0.0 and my primary is the same as my default gateway or at least that’s what it shows on my PS4 when you click view connection status. Thanks for all your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

When I’m playing destiny 2, the only other device I have connected is my labtop to monitor my geofilter. So, under antiblufferbloat, I have my PlayStation added, goodput checked, download/upload at 100% when high priority traffic is detected.. and for my bandwidth allocation distributions are 98% to my PS4 and 2% to my labtop for both upload and download. I’m connected wirelessly and my connections speeds in total are like 5 up and 50 down. So, I do t have much to work with. I also do not have share excess checked when I’m gaming.

strict mode, auto ping, and fast search disabled... ping assist at zero (with dumaos games detected enabled)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Seraph said:

I’m not sure what ya mean by blocked on the map. I didn’t see a peer I denied from an earlier match. I’m not exactly sure what the effects of playing destiny 2 in other countries in spectating mode or strict mode. When the error code happens, it has been new players. 

Im not sure if my dns has anything to do with it either. On default, it looks like my secondary dns is 0.0.0.0 and my primary is the same as my default gateway or at least that’s what it shows on my PS4 when you click view connection status. Thanks for all your help!

If the Geo-Filter is responsible for the disconnect then it would show a server as being blocked on the Geo-Filter Map when the disconnect happens. It would indicate then that a server needs to be added to our whitelist cloud. Next time is happens look on the map (when zoomed out and see if anything is blocked).

Yes that's fine! Is your PS4 set to use automatic network settings? If not make sure you change to that.

12 hours ago, Seraph said:

 

When I’m playing destiny 2, the only other device I have connected is my labtop to monitor my geofilter. So, under antiblufferbloat, I have my PlayStation added, goodput checked, download/upload at 100% when high priority traffic is detected.. and for my bandwidth allocation distributions are 98% to my PS4 and 2% to my labtop for both upload and download. I’m connected wirelessly and my connections speeds in total are like 5 up and 50 down. So, I do t have much to work with. I also do not have share excess checked when I’m gaming.

strict mode, auto ping, and fast search disabled... ping assist at zero (with dumaos games detected enabled)

You need to put Anti-Bufferbloat down from 100% otherwise it's not taking affect. Recommend 70% for both download and upload. You have absolutely plenty of bandwidth for gaming, gaming barely uses 0.5mbps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. I’ll keep an eye out for the servers and adjust the the bufferbkiat slightly. 

I can’t remember if I forgot to take off strictmode earlier in the day yesterday when I was playing with some local friends when I received those error codes. However, I a played a few games solo with strict mode enabled later that night and didn’t receive any error codes. I’m gonna try strict mode enabled with a squad to see how many occurrences of error codes if any today and see what the results are. You guys have been the best help. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...