I think my router is defective?

Hey everyone, love the product but there are times when I feel like it is not working for me. Under network monitor, it show's that when streaming videos (Crunchyroll or Netflix) the graph shoots up from say 259.4 kbps to almost 200 Mbps and I only have a connection of 30 down and 6 up. Even when i have the download and upload sliders set to 70% i should at max be getting around 17 Mbps if the pc was going to use most of the bandwidth. I have my speeds set as that as well for the netduma router.. I also notice that when i try to see my ping via host filter when playing games, it constantly is refreshing and if it show's me my ping it only lasts about 5 seconds. 

My set up is a u verse router and the netduma is connected to the uverse gateway (5268ac i believe) and i have the netduma in dmz+ mode with everything connected to the netduma. 

I have tried resetting it and rebooting it but that seems like it does nothing 

Did i set up the router wrong? Every so often i get a game session in feeling like it's working but the majority of the time it leaves me wondering if the netduma is working at all. 

Also even when the sliders are at 70% it goes over 70% and it freezes on the network monitor for a couple seconds and then it continues to show. Like it freezes instead of showing that there is no network activity. 

Edited by JRG135

Your router isn’t defective. The graph is showing in megabits, not megabytes. 200 megabits = 20 megabytes. There is a glitch with the network monitor where it will freeze occasionally, it’s nothing to worry about.

Do you have auto ping host enabled on the geo-filter page?

• Netduma Staff

Hey everyone, love the product but there are times when I feel like it is not working for me. Under network monitor, it show's that when streaming videos (Crunchyroll or Netflix) the graph shoots up from say 259.4 kbps to almost 200 Mbps and I only have a connection of 30 down and 6 up. Even when i have the download and upload sliders set to 70% i should at max be getting around 17 Mbps if the pc was going to use most of the bandwidth. I have my speeds set as that as well for the netduma router.. I also notice that when i try to see my ping via host filter when playing games, it constantly is refreshing and if it show's me my ping it only lasts about 5 seconds. 

My set up is a u verse router and the netduma is connected to the uverse gateway (5268ac i believe) and i have the netduma in dmz+ mode with everything connected to the netduma. 

I have tried resetting it and rebooting it but that seems like it does nothing 

Did i set up the router wrong? Every so often i get a game session in feeling like it's working but the majority of the time it leaves me wondering if the netduma is working at all. 

Also even when the sliders are at 70% it goes over 70% and it freezes on the network monitor for a couple seconds and then it continues to show. Like it freezes instead of showing that there is no network activity. 

Hi - welcome to the forum! First off, I'd recommend using either Google Chrome or Firefox, as they are the most well optimised browsers for the Netduma. I'd also recommend checking that you're using the default Netduma theme and are on the latest version (1.03.6).

As Pollutionblues said above, your router seems okay. The Network monitor graph is described in megabits. The freezing can sometimes occur, but for the most part it shouldn't detract from you being able to read your bandwidth usage accurately.

By your ping constantly updating, do you mean that the graph is constantly updating? This is meant to occur to show you your ping at that time since ping constantly fluctuates. If you're having bad gameplay, I'd suggest doing an Internet Diagnostics test and letting us know the results :)

pollutionblues - Yes i the ping host enabled 

netduma jack - The whole thing is updating. It shows like a white loading section and than the ping graph shows for a couple of seconds  and this would repeat over and over again. 

thanks for the replies. 

• Netduma Staff

pollutionblues - Yes i the ping host enabled 

netduma jack - The whole thing is updating. It shows like a white loading section and than the ping graph shows for a couple of seconds  and this would repeat over and over again. 

thanks for the replies. 

The Ping Graph trying to load constantly can be caused by adblockers or other web extensions, as well as virus checkers. Try using Chrome on the default Netduma theme, and disable any plug-ins for your browser. Does the Ping Graph load then?

Jack - let me try disabling the adblocker and see if that helps

one more question, do you know what can cause my ping to spike? i have the settings put for gaming on my ps4 and i have notice when im the only one using the internet at night it still spikes up? is it my ISP or...

Jack - let me try disabling the adblocker and see if that helps

one more question, do you know what can cause my ping to spike? i have the settings put for gaming on my ps4 and i have notice when im the only one using the internet at night it still spikes up? is it my ISP or...

Disabling your adblocker will hopefully help.

It could be your ISP, best way to check is to download PingPlotter, ping twitter.com and set the interval to 2.5 seconds. Make sure no one is using your internet while running the test. Run it for about 30 minutes if possible (10 minutes minimum) this will let you know if there is a problem with your line.