Tried updating, now router is bricked

hi, i usually have an ipad with the control panel open when im gaming in case i need to change anything on the fly. i never updated my router before and wanted to see if there was an update.  after i clicked on the update button it said it failed to update and that i should contact netduma.

the router is now unresponsive, its not broadcasting a wifi signal and the the port lights will periodically all flash at the same time then shut off as if the router were resetting itself.

ive been rummaging through the forums and found threads of users that seemed to be in my boat but unfortunately all of the solutions didnt seem to apply to my situation.

i cant seem to access the control panel. going to 192.168.88.1 or http://r1doesnt work. i tried to change my ipv4 to manual with all the settings that were provided but it seems like the router keeps turning itself off and im constantly getting ethernet cable not connected.  the wiki article on how to access the control panel references another article on what to do if youre not getting an ip address when you connect through an ethernet cable but it doesnt seem to link it anywhere.

im all out of ideas, doesnt seem like i can do much on my end. any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

Hi emdot, how old is the router for you? based on that I can figure out the fastest solution for you. If you know the version that would be most useful but just when you bought it(as I assume you've never updated it)

Buck, from his OP, I'm not entirely sure he can access the router wired or wireless. Is that the case, emdot?

It's not possible to update through iPad, either. Think Crossy tried it a while ago and couldn't get it to work.

The unit can be reset manually, but I've seen Iain strongly advise against it.

Hold tight emdot, this place is seriously awesome when it comes to customer support. One of the guys will get you up and running :)

• Administrators

Hi emdot, can you email [email protected] & we'll figure out the quickest way to get it sorted. Sorry about the inconvenience. Don't worry there are multiple ways to get this resolved quickly just we'll just figure out which one you prefer. 

• Netduma Staff

It's not possible to update through iPad, either. Think Crossy tried it a while ago and couldn't get it to work.

Yeah I tried and it isn't possible. I think the router was brickable up to 1.02.7 if you unticked preserve settings so thats probably what happened :) The reset button also didn't do anything then.

emdot, I hope you get it all sorted with Iain :)

Archived