brought [most of] the router to a standstill

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been made aware of any updates unless one was pushed to the modem automatically. I'll pm the cox fella who was working on it.

so after looking into this ONLY an ISP will push a firmware update to the modems. apparently wrong firmware on a single modem can bring down a whole node [200-300 people]. last time my tech was at my house we was telling me one person who had a grounding issue brought down the whole node... o.O

so after looking into this ONLY an ISP will push a firmware update to the modems. apparently wrong firmware on a single modem can bring down a whole node [200-300 people]. last time my tech was at my house we was telling me one person who had a grounding issue brought down the whole node... o.O

If he is close enough to the node, it's easily possible. As no proper ground can cause major noise back into the lines, which will cause packet loss, and cripple things.

i wonder if this problem is tied to my poor cisco/linksys e4200 router. would work fine but then about a month in would drop to half its speed. would stay that way unless i did a full factory reset, then back to normal. rinse and repeat... why i put my netgear back on... and ultimately ended getting an r1.

however, even when i would get half my speed on my e4200 i never had complete internet loss while DLing stuff like this.

fwiw, this is the REPLACEMENT modem from my ISP from MY owned modem to try and sort stuff out now for YEARS. i used to have 100mb/s service which would never get EVER unless the cable company re-provisioned it and that would last a few hours, then back down to 60. finally downgraded by service and saved $50/mo in doing so and finally got what i was paying for.

i need a drink  :wacko:

I need this firmware update because I am rocking the Surfboard 6183. And I'm with Comcast. But I will say this when I had the 105/20 plan I had to keep rebooting my router because it would lose connectivity. But since I went to 50/10 it runs flawlessly. And I actually get speeds of 60/12.

Yeah.  My ping is like 9 with Speedtest and to be honest I haven't really missed the extra bandwidth.   With the higher bandwidth the quality of the connection sucked.  My ping would be like up in the 30's and when I would run the internet diagnosis rarely would I get exceptional on the jitter aspect.  Now it could have been 1.  Comcast or 2. The Motorola Modem bug   So right now until they roll out a firmware update I am not going to increase my internet plan.

I have noticed the past 2 days my upload and download go down. Internet Diagnosis looks great all exceptional with an average ping of 11. But on Testmynet.com from 25 down and 25 up it has changed to 3 down and .1up.

Archived