High ping spikes, latency, jitter

Joe

Has your modem updated? If so, do any of the lights flash while it's on? Mine used to until it updated. Not sure if it's normal. I'm beginning to think some of my line issues are from my modem and a wonky update.

Are you talking about your Comcast modem Mod?

I always have problems whenever they update the firmware on the router. I'm really thinking about going with TP Link modem myself and see what I get, since I have similarly random jitter spikes. Did you read my previous post in this thread? If you haven't, click on the link in the post and read about that mans troubles.

I might not be specifically your problem or mine but it makes a lot of sense when you put all these anecdotal accounts together a common thread appears. Comcast uses junk.

Has your modem  updated? If so, do any of the lights flash while it's on? Mine used to until it updated. Not sure if it's normal. I'm beginning to think some of my line issues are from my modem and a wonky update.

MoD any change with your situation in regards to your modem ?

Has your modem  updated? If so, do any of the lights flash while it's on? Mine used to until it updated. Not sure if it's normal. I'm beginning to think some of my line issues are from my modem and a wonky update.

No haven't gotten an update to mine. Rebooted it too just to double check and I'm still on the same firmware: v1.1.0 Build 20160920 Rel371550. 

MoD any change with your situation in regards to your modem ?

Seems like it's still an ISP issue since rebooting it till I get on channels 17-24 made it drastically better.

No haven't gotten an update to mine. Rebooted it too just to double check and I'm still on the same firmware: v1.1.0 Build 20160920 Rel371550. 

That is updated lol do the lights on the front flash or are they solid?

Seems like it's still an ISP issue since rebooting it till I get on channels 17-24 made it drastically better.

That is updated lol do the lights on the front flash or are they solid?

Oh true haha I've only had mine for just over a week so I didn't think it updated. All lights are solid on mine, should they be flashing or solid?

Oh true haha I've only had mine for just over a week so I didn't think it updated. All lights are solid on mine, should they be flashing or solid?

Before the update they were flashing while active (which makes sense) but after they are just solid... Thought it was odd. Plus they removed the error count on the channels, and my log, when cleared, hasn't filled again. It will only show the last error message.

Before the update they were flashing while active (which makes sense) but after they are just solid... Thought it was odd. Plus they removed the error count on the channels, and my log, when cleared, hasn't filled again. It will only show the last error message.

That does seem kind of odd. I don't know if it has much to do with anything but all my previous Comcast modems always flashed lights too. Ever since I've had the TC-7610 (for about a week like I said) they've been solid. My down and upstream lights are also solid green, not sure if that's normal or not.  

That does seem kind of odd. I don't know if it has much to do with anything but all my previous Comcast modems always flashed lights too. Ever since I've had the TC-7610 (for about a week like I said) they've been solid. My down and upstream lights are also solid green, not sure if that's normal or not.  

That's why I was asking to find out if it's normal lol I've contacted Comcast to see if I can go back to the old firmware since I like to keep tabs on how bad my signal is with the errors being counted but odds are they won't do it or won't even know what I'm talking about

That's why I was asking to find out if it's normal lol I've contacted Comcast to see if I can go back to the old firmware since I like to keep tabs on how bad my signal is with the errors being counted but odds are they won't do it or won't even know what I'm talking about

Yeah Comcast doesn't seem to know anything lol I don't think I've ever had a smooth experience with them. Let me know if you hear anything back from them. 

Hey MoD, I remember in one of the other threads you saying you have the 240/12 package from Comcast and you're from NJ, right? Well I've rebooted my modem until I was on channels 17-24 like you did (I have absolutely no clue if it would be any different for me than it would for you even though our services are pretty much identical; I would think there's a difference but I'm clueless when it comes to some of this stuff haha), and I have to say my hit detection has seemed a lot better after doing so. Would me changing channels have an effect like that on my hit detection in game? I mean it could be a placebo too, but something is definitely noticeable.   

Been playing for a few hours now since switching to channels 17-24 and I'm shocked at how much better things feel. I don't know if the servers are just that good today or what the hell it is, don't even know if this has anything to do with it but I've been melting people like crazy ever since the switch haha  

Hey MoD, I remember in one of the other threads you saying you have the 240/12 package from Comcast and you're from NJ, right? Well I've rebooted my modem until I was on channels 17-24 like you did (I have absolutely no clue if it would be any different for me than it would for you even though our services are pretty much identical; I would think there's a difference but I'm clueless when it comes to some of this stuff haha), and I have to say my hit detection has seemed a lot better after doing so. Would me changing channels have an effect like that on my hit detection in game? I mean it could be a placebo too, but something is definitely noticeable.   

Unless you live around the corner from me, no lol... But it is possible to still be better since generally those channels are newer, but it's all about finding which ones have the least local congestion and least noise. Apparently anything over 700Mhz works better for me.

Unless you live around the corner from me, no lol... But it is possible to still be better since generally those channels are newer, but it's all about finding which ones have the least local congestion and least noise. Apparently anything over 700Mhz works better for me.

OK now I'm curious MoD do I have the ability to access that second set of channels (17-24) on my modem or is that a ISP thing.As I only have 1 upload channel and you guys have 4.

Yeah I figured, and I'm pretty sure we don't live THAT close haha I previously was on a couple channels which were in the 600s, but now all 8 are over 700 and it's almost night and day the difference for me in game. Everything just feels much smoother.  

OK now I'm curious MoD do I have the ability to access that second set of channels (17-24) on my modem or is that a ISP thing.As I only have 1 upload channel and you guys have 4.

Completely up to the ISP, but that honestly has nothing to do with having a better connection. Just because they work better for me doesn't mean they will work better for even my neighbor down the street if he's on a different node.

Yeah I figured, and I'm pretty sure we don't live THAT close haha I previously was on a couple channels which were in the 600s, but now all 8 are over 700 and it's almost night and day the difference for me in game. Everything just feels much smoother.  

Pure coincidence lol

Pure coincidence lol

I wouldn't doubt it. Maybe the servers are just running smoother, but I can't deny that everything has felt a lot better after the fact lol 

• 3 weeks later...

For Comcast Cable Users Only:

I have Comcast or Xfinity or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

I am not trained as an IT professional, so all my comments are based on personal experience with their products. When it comes to combo modem/routers, I do not believe they are capable of providing the networking service I require. I prefer to have two separate products so, if there are any issues, figuring out where the problem lies is easier.

I have had Comcast combo items, but once I realized I could purchase a stand alone modem I could not place my order quick enough. I don't have any scientific basis for this, but in order to attain a better gaming experience, I truly believe you need two separate devices.

Now moving along. I have not had DSL. I have only had cable. I have tried many modems with the R1 router. I've had many issues with ping spikes and total loss of internet with the only solution being to reboot all devices...only for the issues to return rather quickly.

With all my testing, I will say this: stay away from Arris/Motorola products. I know this is a blanket statement, but I have had nothing but problematic issues with their products and the R1 being used together (i.e. SB6183). I can not tell you specifically why they did not work, only that there were issues.

I have discovered only two routers that have satisfied my needs. And, the key word is 'MY'. The two modems are the TP-7610 and the Zoom 5341J. Do not assume that other devices by these companies will work flawlessly. For example, I tried the Zoom 5370 and had the same problems.

Just wondering if there are any dual band modem routers that can be suggested?

Maybe some of the other gents might have some suggestions but I don't have any.  All the modem/routers that I have had have been from Comcast and i have not had a great experience with them before or after getting the netduma.

I don't know if there are any, in most set ups the preferred would be separate modem and router again this is just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the ping results with my TC7610 hooked up. It's flawless! Went 41-8 my very first game testing it out. No more 200+ ping spikes for me  :) haha

1485889731-U6326.png

hi so i just wanted to ask you if you are still using your new modem and how its working for you . Im looking into buying a new one to and would like to know the full name and brand of it too so i could get one. The one i am using right now is a cisco this is the one i got from my isp but i think im have the same problem you were    

hi so i just wanted to ask you if you are still using your new modem and how its working for you . Im looking into buying a new one to and would like to know the full name and brand of it too so i could get one. The one i am using right now is a cisco this is the one i got from my isp but i think im have the same problem you were    

TP-Link TC-7610 or TC-7610-E they are the same model, but retailers have named them differently on their website.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-343Mbps-Certified-Spectrum-TC-7610-E/dp/B01CH8ZNJ0

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825165010

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/4403610.p?skuId=4403610

Yep just like MoD said. He was even nice enough to link them  :)