sky broadband

BENORMOUS

Right so I upgraded my Internet package a while back to sky broadband pro (not fibre).with this package you get option of static ip and more optimizations on you're line,after trying every single one of there profiles I had no luck and just couldn't find a stable profile,speedy gamer was too much for my line,stable gamer was terrible standard gamer was ever worse so yesterday I rang up to have my monthly rant and to see if they could do something about the inconsistencies when the guy on the phone told me instead of ringing up I could optimizer my line myself on my sky acount so immediatley got onto it,this is when i saw a button that said gamer mode so I combined my line with realiable gamer and the gamer mode button,it then said you're settings will be applied within ten minutes and around 6 minutes later my Internet dropped and restated with a whole new set of speeds and noise margins so the first thing I did was run internet diagnosis on the duma and my results were great,my line has been up and running for 33 hours now so thought Id give sky a call to see if there are any errors occurring and not a single one has shown up the guy said my line is very strong and clear,getting around 18 down with 1.3 up and it feels great online,played a few games of AW and BENORMOUS is back on xbox beasting a feasting,anyone on sky broadband having issues I urge you to try this

Basically you've gone to at least a 9db profile (so very few errors if any) and switched on fastpath :)

Glad it's working better though :)

Buds you are spot on,I run a speed test and get a 15 ping wireless from my ipad on the speed test app and my diagnosis gives me 12 ping on the duma.really hope it stays this way,just can't believe it's took for me to manually do it myself after speaking with sky over and over again

Does this apply to sky fibre?

No mate,believe it or not but there's a lot more tweaking and optimising can be done on a standard adsl line than you can do on fibre,you can simply buy fibre and buy the 3 options,40 down 2 up 40 down 10 up and 80 down 20 up but can't be tweaked apperently

When i had TalkTalk ADSL i could ask for fast path 6db fixed then use dmt tool or my billion interface to move it to 8db manualy so in winter i could hang on well having a noisy line, then in summer drop it back to 6db on light nights, i loved that i could do that.

Moving to fibre with no control was not great at first jumping from fast path to intreleaving a lot. With my cab using G.inp now i have had fast path ever since :)

I used to use gamer mode when i was on Sky ADSL , basicly it reduces the max delay from 10 to 8. This may give you a little lower speed than usual but it will lower your ping.

What is g.inp , I too have sky fibre and hate the fact I can't tweak it

You can if you use another router, Sky have little control over fibre, all they can do is run tests and report them to BT. It took me counless calls to get BT out and i asked to have a new line as i wasn't happy and they admitted my line was deteriorated. Since then my line has been good, i did have a Asus router and could tweak my SNR and so forth but Sky's MER for some reason kept putting me on interleaved so i switched back to the SR-102 . I have seen a CFW for the SR-102 but as of yet its not very safe.

What is g.inp , I too have sky fibre and hate the fact I can't tweak it

To simplify it you could say it is like interleaving on the fly.

You have fast-path until you have errors then it will resend the packets without the need for real interleaving.

The old style interleaving had error correction at the cost of ping time , it would usually add around 10 or more ms to the line.

G.INP has no cost to ping time until it resends the packets and you might never need to resend or very rarely.

Archived