Insane ping until modem reboot after downloading at high speeds.

It seems I have the same issue as discussed in these threads:

Cox is my ISP and I had the issue on my SB6183 and now on my Zoom 5370. I do not have this issue when I directly connect to the modem. Only when connected through the Netduma router (Wired)

I did not have this issue when I was using a Cisco Dpq3212 8x4 Docsis 3.0 EMTA modem. 

I also do not have this issue when using another router (borrowed from a friend) instead of the Netduma R1. I'm currently on version 1.03.6g. I restored factory defaults and set my bandwidth to 330 / 30 and let it configure the other settings automatically based on that speed. 

I can reliably reproduce this issue. 

Here is a video:

You can see after a few minutes of downloading at max speeds, the ping spikes up and the download slows to a crawl. Even after stopping the download the ping and internet speeds stay like this until the modem is rebooted.

My modem does not have the option to enable/disable EEE. I currently own my modem and can no longer return it. So if there is no fix that can be done on the Netduma side of things, can I return my router for a refund? 

Thank you!

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum! It was hard to see from the video as it was in 360p but I didn't see the download pausing. 

In regards to the EEE bug, we were informed by CoX sometime ago that they did make a patch/update for it. However, I believe you will need to contact them in order to get this. Once you have that I think EEE actually has to be enabled rather than disabled. So I would try that and let us know how you get on. Unfortunately as you ordered almost a year ago you wouldn't be able to get a refund. 

Hey, welcome to the forum! It was hard to see from the video as it was in 360p but I didn't see the download pausing. 

In regards to the EEE bug, we were informed by CoX sometime ago that they did make a patch/update for it. However, I believe you will need to contact them in order to get this. Once you have that I think EEE actually has to be enabled rather than disabled. So I would try that and let us know how you get on. Unfortunately as you ordered almost a year ago you wouldn't be able to get a refund. 

I'm not sure why it was only processed at 360p but that mp4 is 1080p and could be downloaded. Anyway, I'll contact Cox about it though I'm not hopeful as the patch seems to only apply to the SB6183. I guess I'm SOL. Thanks anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

I began having this problem recently, are there no adjustments to the Duma software that can prevent this? I asks because I am beyond tech savvy however,

I am very tired of random issues with this router. I have another $240 router just as expensive as my netduma and I never have issues till this date with that one. If you don't fix the eee issue with your firmware there will be many others with the same issue potentially causing people not to want to purchase this router. I love this router if it would ever work correctly. This eee issue only exists with my netduma, I have had 4 different routers around $200 and never have I ever had this many issues. 

If your gonna reply to me, please be smart and articulate (dont be an ass). I know alot of forum members have been ridiculously rude lately and I would much appreciate people not being assholes to me.

I began having this problem recently, are there no adjustments to the Duma software that can prevent this? I asks because I am beyond tech savvy however,

I am very tired of random issues with this router. I have another $240 router just as expensive as my netduma and I never have issues till this date with that one. If you don't fix the eee issue with your firmware there will be many others with the same issue potentially causing people not to want to purchase this router. I love this router if it would ever work correctly. This eee issue only exists with my netduma, I have had 4 different routers around $200 and never have I ever had this many issues. 

If your gonna reply to me, please be smart and articulate (dont be an ass). I know alot of forum members have been ridiculously rude lately and I would much appreciate people not being assholes to me.

To be fair, this issue does happen with my Asus router also - just not as bad... They did try to put out a fix for it a while ago and it didn't work. I don't believe it's on the NetDuma's end, I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the modem's firmware that needs to be fixed. Since it's such a minor issue that most wouldn't notice it, don't expect modem manufacturers to fix it.

P.S. We aren't smart asses or assholes on here. But us veteran members have seen the same question asked 5689023 times, so if people just took the time out to read or do a little digging themselves they would get the answers they want. Instead they ignore the rules, post 5 threads within  20 minutes with 1 sentence posts, and get pissed off when we ask them for detailed information so we can help them - for FREE.

This router is not a "one size fits all" type of thing. Every setup is different and every setup takes time to dial in the right settings. If you don't know how to plug in an ethernet cable then you shouldn't be buying networking equipment. I've spent days going back and forth with someone on here, trying to help them, but in the end I had to give up because they couldn't figure out how to only plug one device into their modem. They didn't understand why they had no wifi, when their second router didn't have the antennas connected... But told me I was wrong. That's super frustrating when I'm offering my time to help someone for free.

Archived