Sudden high ping connection, Netduma has something to do with this?

W11cE

I have been using my netduma for 2 days now and so far I love it.

But this thing has happened 2 times now. First time was yesterday when i was downloading Evolved beta on Xbox one. I noticed that sudenly connection got really slow and TeamSpeak 3 showed connection to the server around 600ms +- 1000ms  :huh: . I rebooted netduma and modem and it solved the problem.

Today i was watching Netflix and suddenly it started buffering and got nowhere. I tried speedtest, but it had hard time even getting over ping part. And the ping was over 300ms (should be <10 to that server). I tried to trace route to google.com and noticed that connection to modem was <1ms, but the first hop from my modem to the first point outside my home was over 2000ms. I rebooted netduma, but that didnt help. Rebooting modem helped and the first hop was 5ms.

So even though it looked like the problem was not in netduma, could it have something to do with this? Feels too wierd that this has happened 2 times in a row. Sure I had to reboot my modem sometimes before, but not this often.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Netduma Luke

It sounds like the issue could be on your modem but my knowledge is limited on this. One of our tech guys will be able to help - Iain will be back on tomorrow and some of the guys on here are great at stuff like this so let's see what they think too.

Rebooting the netduma didn't fix the problem but rebooting the modem did. It's your ISP issue or modem I'm afraid.

Worth a call to your ISP if it keeps happening. They may have an issue or replace the the modem if it's a fault.

It sounds like the issue could be on your modem but my knowledge is limited on this. One of our tech guys will be able to help - Iain will be back on tomorrow and some of the guys on here are great at stuff like this so let's see what they think too.

W11cE is an engineer...

W11cE go to google.com and type "my ip" it is likely an IPv6...this causes random issues with a lot of ISPs once you hit a non-compatible IPv6 server (DNS or HOST)

i had it yesterday too, my R1 was running for around a week straight now and continuously built up a UPnP list (ill just mention this incase it has something to do with it)

yesterday the list reached around 28 entrys with my computer being in there 4-5 times with the same entries

anyhow the general ping on TS3 was 300ms +/- 200-300

i was able to use teamspeak and youtube just fine for another hour or so, however then the connection to the R1 got interrupted

all 10 devices in my household lost the connection to the R1 and its wireless signal also didnt come back

felt like waiting 10-20 minutes just to see if the R1 comes up again but nothing

rebooted the R1 and everything runs smooth again, ping was down to 30ms +/- 1-2 again

UPnP is also down to less than 5 entries again with each device just being listed once

im not sure what was causing this as all i did was restarting the R1 to solve it

while im no network engineer my assumption is that it has to do with the UPnP maybe, my consoles are on the variable IP option (no static IP internet setup) and the device manager listed them each with several IPs

same for pretty much all the other devices in the household, which is why most UPnP entrys are listed twice or more, one entry for each IP

incase it really is related to that my suggestion would be to let the R1 drop "expired" IPs from devices that received a new adress

with dropping i mean to stop regarding those expired IPs as active devices in the network

edit: my connection is also IPv4

hurm, then it has to be a memory leak...but more people should be experiencing it if it is a memory leak...

hurm, i know i have this same issue and a modem reboot fixes it.  it was never required before the R1...so i wonder if it is somehow locking up on the WAN

Rebooting the netduma didn't fix the problem but rebooting the modem did. It's your ISP issue or modem I'm afraid.

Worth a call to your ISP if it keeps happening. They may have an issue or replace the the modem if it's a fault.

hurm, then it has to be a memory leak...but more people should be experiencing it if it is a memory leak...

hurm, i know i have this same issue and a modem reboot fixes it.  it was never required before the R1...so i wonder if it is somehow locking up on the WAN

Sadly guy's, this is a issue I have had since I started using the R1. I have a 150mbps down, and 20mbps up connection from my ISP. I have had this ping issue happen to me probably 30+ times now. Most the time for me, this issue happens when I'm doing a download via utorrent. I had my download capped at 13.7MB's, which is pushing very close to the R1's current max wan speed. 

I can tell you guy's from dealing with this issue first hand, and doing a good amount of troubleshooting on my end. Only way to get the ping issue to settle down, is to reboot your modem. As for the issue, I thought it had to do with me pushing the max of the R1's wan. But after seeing other's complain, we have two options causing this matter.

1. We're all downloading at high rates when this issue starts to happen.

or

2. We're just using a constant stream of data at a decent rate

Also what I see, and have even resorted to using pingplotter running a steady 1 sec ping. Is when I start to download something, pings jump up a bit. Which I consider a bit normal, but right around the time the download is finishing. Pings start to rise to between 50+ms to 100+ms on avg, and jump up to the 800+ms range at times. I have brought this issue up to Iain already for me, and so I'm actually happy to see this is affecting other's as well. Because then imho, this makes finding a cause, and a fix a more higher priority.

Anyways before people want to blame the modem for such issue, as resolving this issue temporary is rebooting the modem. I have personally switch between 3 different modem's I own for my isp, and this issue appears on them all. I removed the R1 for a period of time, used my old router, and did testing with same activities, that caused ping issue's with the R1 in place. I can tell you, with the R1 out of the picture. This issue stopped happening, so again. Me, and Iain have discussed this type of problem already. So hopefully with a couple more customer's bringing this up, sometime this coming week. We can work to find the cause, and fix for us all.

Welcome W11ce (hadn't realised it was you)

I'll be interested to see where this one goes. I've not had any issues with my fibre connection, either in download speed drop off or pings. 

But reading down the thread there are two different issues / fixes. Some people need to reboot their modem to fix it (W11ce / Stone) others need to reboot the Netduma to fix (Od1n). I wonder if there is any correlation to the setup leading to this (i.e router in bridge mode etc etc). Anyways I hope you get it all sorted and I'll bow out for the actual tech guy (Iain) to come in and discuss :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into it soon but honestly it sounds like badly made modems. I can't remember exactly the first principle of the internet but it's something like be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you receive. I've butchered the quote but the point is they should handle other nodes gracefully.

I'll be working with Scott to identify the cause of this and try get it resolved ASAP. I'll keep you posted on our results.

@lilstone87 good work gathering all that, it definitely seems like it happens to me when I max my connection.

I'm working if congestion control might be causing this...all speculation.

Well I have put both download, and upload cap at 100%, and reset distribution. I still see this issue happening, and it just happen again a few minutes ago. It has happen twice today, the one that happen a couple minutes ago. The only network usage at the time was a live stream running at 4-6mbps, and early this morning when it happen. There was only some netflix video streaming happening.

So this tell's me, the maxing of the wan doesn't appear to cause the R1 to affect the modem in a way to cause the pings to go to shit. But more of a constant active data stream going to the modem. What need's to be figured out, is what is the R1 sending out to the modem that it is not liking? Is the R1 flooding the modem with some kind of traffic it is not liking? I'm just guessing at this point. But putting two, and two together tell's me. Something being exchanged from the R1's wan port to the modem's lan port is a issue.

post-157-0-34914200-1421617973_thumb.png

Well I have put both download, and upload cap at 100%, and reset distribution. I still see this issue happening, and it just happen again a few minutes ago. It has happen twice today, the one that happen a couple minutes ago. The only network usage at the time was a live stream running at 4-6mbps, and early this morning when it happen. There was only some netflix video streaming happening.

So this tell's me, the maxing of the wan doesn't appear to cause the R1 to affect the modem in a way to cause the pings to go to shit. But more of a constant active data stream going to the modem. What need's to be figured out, is what is the R1 sending out to the modem that it is not liking? Is the R1 flooding the modem with some kind of traffic it is not liking? I'm just guessing at this point. But putting two, and two together tell's me. Something being exchanged from the R1's wan port to the modem's lan port is a issue.

Interesting, I was thinking maybe it is just congestion control in general since we can't disable it.

Interesting, I was thinking maybe it is just congestion control in general since we can't disable it.

Yes I have been dealing with this pretty much since I got the R1. So I have probably done close to two weeks worth of testing from my end of things, regarding this issue.

I think maybe this maybe along the lines of my issues. I am also having latency issues and my wifi devices very slow to connect to sites if at all. wired to my PC is fine. tried resetting congestion controls but no signs of change. rebooted R1 no change. constant buffering on devices only on wifi. getting very low download speeds over wifi unsure why this is. didnt want to start new thread yet. also on Ipv4 isp

This has been happening to me as well. However, I could not explain it so I thought I'd hold back until others experienced it and could do a better job at the explanation.

What I've done to get by, is put my modem and the R1 on a timer to reboot nightly.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-24-Hour-Plug-In-Mechanical-Grounded/dp/B0035GF8NA/ref=sr_1_8

Hopefully with the forums help and Iain's wizardry it will be resolved.

Well over the last 24 hours, I have run pingplotter non-stop again, and I'm gonna post a screenshot of what was picked up by pingplotter. Starting off yesterday, I still had the R1 connected to my network, and this shows between 2pm, and around 4:20pm yesterday. As you will see between that time period, there was two periods in which pings went crazy. But also you will see red lines in which stand for packet loss.

The reason you see the red lines, is because we were doing some testing, rebooting both modem, and router. In doing so, pings will drop, and packet loss will start until both units are fully back online. Around the 4:20pm mark, you see most of this has smoothed out, and everything looks pretty good since then. The reason for that? I removed the R1 around the 4:20pm mark, and started using my Asus router again.

So with this pingplotter screenshot of the last 24 hours, the last 20, or so hours on that graph. You will see no major issue's related to ping, with the Asus router running, and the R1 out of the picture. This shows the R1 is indeed doing something with the way it's passing data/info to the modem, and after a period of time. The modem gets sick of it, goes into a mode in which pings go sky high, and won't settle back down until the modem is fully rebooted.

Anyways, here is the screenshot I took a little while ago of the last 24 hours, regarding this ping issue, that a couple of us are having, and I'm sure more will report of this in the future.

post-157-0-05806100-1421777302_thumb.png

any word on this, im just guessing here but seems to me like congestion control maybe the issue. my iphone 6plus shoots up to 5mb/s and stops like its being throttled. some other devices are ok. ipad has wonky downloads also. tried resetting network on both devices no help..

Guest Netduma_Iain

I will be looking into this next now that .7 is being tested. I don't think its a congestion control issue I suspect its more along the lines of multicast or IPv6 which you can disable in the new version. I'm going to test with Scott(lilStone) to get to the bottom of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well for a week, or so. I started using the R1 as secondary router plugged into my Asus router. The ping issue I really couldn't get to happen during that time. But I bought this router to be used as a primary router, and expected it to work well. I can tell you, yesterday I put the R1 back as the primary router, and within 6 hours, or so the ping issue started happening already. I'm not into the blame game type of stuff, so I will not directly blame anyone over this. But I will say, I have spent a lot of hours troubleshooting this issue, and even purchased a new modem, so I knew it wasn't a modem acting up. I'm in no way saying this issue forced me into buying the modem, I was planning to upgrade soon anyways. But it did factor in a bit on buying it maybe a little sooner then expected. All in all, there is still work to be done on solving this issue.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Sure Scott, I'm aware of this. .7 took precedent as I explained because you're the only one suffering and its very hard to diagnose. Because it happens so rarely. I need to trace your router when the pings rise but have not had the opportunity to do that yet. 

Sure Scott, I'm aware of this. .7 took precedent as I explained because you're the only one suffering and its very hard to diagnose. Because it happens so rarely. I need to trace your router when the pings rise but have not had the opportunity to do that yet. 

This post wasn't directed at anyone, more of just an update to the troubleshooting I have been doing. I know you may be taking the post differently, but that isn't the reasoning behind it at all. Thread's are here to help one another. So hopefully when we resolve this, I will be adding the last post this thread will need, with a answer about it being fixed.

Archived