R1 vs R1 + Router

Guest Blake

Guest Blake

Hi 

Just recently bought the R1 and cant seem to find a great answer anywhere, found similar questions but not really a solid question.

My question is that should I link my Surfboard Modem directly to the R1?

I also have a Netgear Nighthawk router, should I continue using the Nighthawk and the R1 to DMZ?

As far as I know when linking two routers together creates a "bridge". This has been known to create a longer wait time, or "lag". 

I just don't want this "lag", I want the fastest possible connection.

I'm not a IT Professional but I'm no n00b to this community, I've been trying to update my routers for over 2 years now. So please give me a good explanation on which one I should use.

Now for a little bit of an explanation, if I used my Modem to Nighthawk to R1 I would create a large bridge.

But I also have a Router/Modem Hybrid I got from my ISP, if I used this and put the R1 in the DMZ there would I create less of a "lag"?

Anything helps :D

I current use modem>Asus AC87U>R1 and see no difference before I installed the R1, however you can have the R1 between the modem and the nighthawk and put the nighthawk into AP mode (access point) maintaining the nighthawks wireless and then connect your equipment for gaming directly into the R1,that way you can use the congestion control.i did not need the congestion control but the geo filter more.

Hope that helps

Forgot to say that I also put the R1 into DMZ and assigned it a static ip in the Asus

• Administrators

As the others have stated simply routing will be submilisecond so I would never worry about adding equipment. I would recommend

modem r1 other devices & maybe other router

I'd recommedn the r1 first as everything must go through it for the congestion control to be most efficient. Finally I'd only use another router behind the R1 if it supports something the R1 doesn't for example 5ghz wifi.

Hope that helps

Archived