Is my ping rate in BOPS3 normal?

griptek

Just curious if this is normal or I need some fine tuning. Heres a quick lil back story first..

I'm pretty sure I live about a 40 minute drive to the BOPS3 server farm in Cali. Even tho Microsloth blocks the traceroute as soon as it hits their *.ntwk.msn.net network, I can tell by the hops leading up to it as well as using a free geo ip location service to check their IP's.

My internet speed is: 25MB/s DL and 1.2MB/s UL. My in game ping rate to those cali servers fluctuates from 15ms to 30ms about every 3-5 seconds. Even when I throttle my connection down to 300KB/s up and down it does that. Should I try and shape the traffic more to tighten that gap or is that the best I can do? And is 15ms the lowest possible ping time anyone can get? I'm mean I know I can't get mine any lower then that, just curious if anyone else has.

And I must say that they do punish ppl for having a good connections. I can totally tell the difference when I drop my connection down 300Kb/s both ways. No getting killed an hour after I ran around a corner. No more shooting air buiscuits at ppl. Thats when ya see someone first and press the fire button just to go *poof* and die by them. No kill cams that show the guy aiming/shooting around me but dying anyways.

Just curious if this is normal or I need some fine tuning. Heres a quick lil back story first..

I'm pretty sure I live about a 40 minute drive to the BOPS3 server farm in Cali. Even tho Microsloth blocks the traceroute as soon as it hits their *.ntwk.msn.net network, I can tell by the hops leading up to it as well as using a free geo ip location service to check their IP's.

My internet speed is: 25MB/s DL and 1.2MB/s UL. My in game ping rate to those cali servers fluctuates from 15ms to 30ms about every 3-5 seconds. Even when I throttle my connection down to 300KB/s up and down it does that. Should I try and shape the traffic more to tighten that gap or is that the best I can do? And is 15ms the lowest possible ping time anyone can get? I'm mean I know I can't get mine any lower then that, just curious if anyone else has.

And I must say that they do punish ppl for having a good connections. I can totally tell the difference when I drop my connection down 300Kb/s both ways. No getting killed an hour after I ran around a corner. No more shooting air buiscuits at ppl. Thats when ya see someone first and press the fire button just to go *poof* and die by them. No kill cams that show the guy aiming/shooting around me but dying anyways.

Everyone's ping will be different due to all kinds of variables.

15-30ms is a pretty decent ping though but fluctuating every few seconds is not ideal.

Is this the 'in-game' ping graph, the Netduma ping graph, or some other method of pinging the servers?

Absolutely, other people will definitely have a faster ping to the server than you and some people will have a slower ping. Due to distances and routes and having a different isp.

Bandwidth is not related to ping. Therefore, throttling your connection won't affect your ping.

Throttling using 'congestion control' is simply to add a buffer to stop anyone else on your network from making you lag.

No they don't, it's just harder to hit laggers.

Throttling for lag comp is a contentious issue, especially in here, blood is still fresh on the ground from the last battle.

The majority of people believe it to be a placebo. Many of us have tested it and if it really did work then it should work for all. But it does not.

The kill cam is irrelevant, it's just an approximation of what happened. If you pay any attention to where they were aiming on your body or where they were in relation to you and when you think you fired you will likely go mad. I only recommend watching the killcam to see where (roughly) I was shoot from or who by, not how it went down.

• Netduma Staff

I would re-iterate the above; you actually have a great ping. You'll only see truly negative effects if your ping spikes over 60ms; varying between 15 and 30 shouldn't really be a huge deal. We wouldn't recommend throttling, and as ColonicBoom said, your bandwidth won't affect your ping, and will barely affect your game experience. Make sure your console is on hyper-traffic though.

Your base ping is going to be your base ping, regardless of what you do to try and manipulate it.

When Blops 3 dropped the #Canaries, which is the name for the testing group at Netduma made up of some of us early adopters, were trying all sorts of things to see if we could get better games.

The items that we found to have merit and can assist in getting you all better game play, we have promoted and wrote threads about what and how, similar to this one:  http://forum.netduma.com/topic/10385-bo3-help-entry-level-bufferbloat-%E2%80%93-%E2%80%9Czennon%E2%80%99s-first-rule-of-gaming%E2%80%9D/

Of the things I personally tested, ad nauseam, was the belief that somehow you could "log in" to the matchmaking with one level of internet and then magically become a lobby slaying monster by simply altering or changing sliders to control the amount of bandwidth being used "in game".

Several folks participated, but for me I wanted to know conclusively as I expected to see these types of internet myths get some traction and become community threads and beliefs.

I didn't find anything in my testing to indicate you could get better game play by throttling.  I would have a good game here, only to have a rage inducing game the very next lobby.

Trust me guys, we have tried a metric shit ton of ideas and the ones that had real merit were brought forth and shared with the rest of the #DumaArmy. :ph34r:

To date I haven't seen any conclusive evidence to indicate otherwise after a few weeks of testing by myself and multiple reporting members.  :unsure:

Unless you live alone, all you are really doing is greatly degrading the internet usability for the rest of the house.

YMMV

JD

Thanks for all the responses! Let me just get this Full Disclosure out of the way.

**I do not have a Netduma, but I do think it's an awesome product from what I have seen/read tho. With all the hard work and dedication that has gone into making it happen, from the in house crew to the #Canaries and #DumaArmy and the community at large, has truely made it a very remarkable product for its intended market. For me, I like to try and do things hands on first then if that doesn't work out I look for someone/something that can. When people ask me about this kinda stuff I basically tell them two things. Either build your own or check out Netduma. I will include my set up at the end for those that are interested**

@ColonicBoom: It's just the in-game connection meter, I should add one to my own setup. I'm not here to start a flame war or to troll anyone or debates its merrit, but for me throttling does work. I am currently at lvl 760. Im a few games shy of playing 4600 Hardcore matches. I have played less then 1300 Core matches just to complete certain multiplayer challenges (I only have to destroy the Raps ship before it drops anything to hit 100%) and to get certain weapons gold for dark matter (which i did awhile ago). I do like playing safeguard occasionally but only HC satisfies my Twitch Shooting style. My goto weapon is the M8 and my sensitivity starts out at 12 and then goes to 14 after a few games. I use standard controller with my version of the poor man's elite/scuff which is just setting the controller to Stick and Move so jumping is done by pressing the right thumbstick. I soundwh0re with dead silence and awareness with an astro headset.I do NOT camp tho, I run and gun, jump around corners, wall run and bunny hop ppl. Since I added the throttling and game modes to my server about 4 months ago my consistency has gone up as well as my K/D which took a beating dealing with the multiplayer challenges. I don't drop my connection to the point of me lagging or skipping around. No one sends me messages complaing that Im some sort of lagwh0re or that I have a lag switch. I just cap it at 300KB/s up & dwn. I scale it up depending on how many ppl im playing with or if Im in party chat. I have set it at 128kbs during the testing period, but thats when the game gets silly and not in a fun way either. I skip everywhere, warp back, ppl start dropping like flies, new ppl join and everything just becomes a lagfest.

@Dillinger: I have an ethercard hooked up to my switch that feeds all the runs. wifi card that I setup as an access point. Then another ethercard with a crossover cable into my xbox. That's the interface which gets capped at 300KB/s. My Nat is open from port forwarding - No UPNP crap. Doesn't affect the rest of my network. My buffer bloat test results in A+ and my jitter results in A+.
Some jitter stats below.

CA, USA 64.140.161.58   27      +1.6ms
       CO, USA 72.5.102.138    38      +2.2ms
       DC, USA 65.79.226.210   82      +2.4ms
       DE, USA 162.151.17.198  84      +2.2ms
       GA, USA 24.72.224.10    69      +1.9ms
       IA, USA 104.154.69.141  59      +3.6ms
           IL, USA 162.248.92.123  63      +2.5ms
           LA, USA 162.248.93.162  20      +4.7ms
       MI, USA 72.52.179.213   66      +2.8ms
       NC, USA 192.254.79.130  79      +2.2ms
           NY, USA 162.248.95.144  80      +3.5ms
           OR, USA 68.85.243.66    26      +2.6ms
      SEA, USA 66.150.164.232  30      +1.9ms
       TN, USA 63.135.176.24   79      +3.1ms
       TX, USA 104.153.106.185 55      +3.2ms

This is my setup right for now :

I have a Motorola SB6141 modem thats connected to a sever I built running Linux that serves as my router for my home network. Its has a 4.4 Kernel that I compiled myself from scratch, removing any uneeded options and enabling some specific ones. Everything is on a 1GB internal network, I made my own cat6 cables that run into everyroom from a switch. The xbox has its own ethercard connected via crossover cable.I do have wifi setup, but I don't really use it that much so it gets enabled as needed. I use iptables with some advanced queuing and Quality of Service rules on the traffic. When I'm gaming I have a packet sniffer running the entire time on another screen next to my BenQ.It either runs as a daemon or in a window depending on what mode I'm in. In Cali only mode when I connect to a server not in Cali it auto adds the IP to the blacklist, but only starts blocking it after a match ends and I have left that lobby. In freeplay mode it will geo ip the server location and add it to the corresponding location file, ie Virginia, Texas, Iowa etc. All the modes actually do this, but the only difference is that it doesn't add it to the blacklist or enforce it until I exit that mode and it brings up several options handling that aspect. In the Per Zone Mode it will ask me what region I want to play in and only connect to those servers, which I had used to test different levels of bandwidth throttling and other stuff. In Manual mode a small window shows the ip and location, the packet sniffer is in the foreground and some bash scripts running in a terminal asking me what options I want to use on the ip. There is other modes that are a WIP, well this is all a WIP, but those aren't quite stable and fully tested yet. I still have more to learn about traffic shaping and the ways of using QoS.  I'm gonna eventually end up switching to my preferred OS of BSD..it's been awhile and I miss you! LOL Anyways, my Itch to kill has set in...time to go play!

Archived