Modem Compatibility and Destiny

The_Waffler

Hello all, I am new to the forum and interested in purchasing the router. I live in Ohio( US) and will be using this for the PS4. I noticed it says you can simply plug the Netduma into your existing router. Does this mean I have to have a router already or can I simply plug my modem right into it?

I have an Arris Motorola 600 series model SB6183.
I do have a dual wan/lan router, but I would think using 2 routers would complicate things, and would rather go straight from my  modem to your router if possible.
Again, I have a PS4 and will be using this mainly to play Destiny. I have great connection from my ISP, but have a terrible time communicating with PSN and Destiny. Alot of latency issues.
Will this router cause any problems playing Destiny or break any ToS with them?
Thank you

don't listen to this guy. You need to buy another modem. Sadly that modem won't work with the Netduma. Pretty much it is plug in & play. But that modem has a bug in it and the Netduma team needs to update their site to explain what MODEMS work and what ones don't. So people like you don't get stuck with a BRICK!

The reason why if you want to know is because of an EEE bug. Netduma Firmware version 1.03.5 tired to "Implemented code to disable EEE but not applied as did not fix faulty SB6183 modems" and a few others never listed :)

I own the surfboard sb6190 and if I go to http://192.168.100.1and click the settings or config tab it allows me to disable the modems EEE feature. I have no idea if that modem supports that. Please

report back if it does.

I have a network guy coming next week. I'll have him see if my modem can disable that function. If he can't and I can't get my modem to work with it, I will try the modem you suggested. When you say my modem isn't compatible because of this EEE  bug, what problems does it cause with the Netduma? This way we know what to look for to troubleshoot

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

You're correct in that you can plug it directly into the modem. I'm not sure if that is the one with the EEE bug or not, I'm sure someone here uses it with no issues. If it does have it then you can experience high pings/disconnects when connected to the R1. 

Using the router won't break any ToS with Destiny :)

Hey, welcome to the forum! 

You're correct in that you can plug it directly into the modem. I'm not sure if that is the one with the EEE bug or not, I'm sure someone here uses it with no issues. If it does have it then you can experience high pings/disconnects when connected to the R1. 

Using the router won't break any ToS with Destiny :)

Anyway to be certain? It's np if it isn't compatible, I can just simply order a modem that is. I'd just rather have a compatible modem on hand when the router arrives intead of having to experiment with mine, then having to order one if it doesn't work.

I had the 6183 and I would run away from that thing as fast as you can. The ping would spike into the 100's and the only way to resolve the issue was to restart your equipment. It would occur especially handling increased data (i.e. Streaming).

I have used quite a few modems ( my wife can attest to this) and it is not brand specific either. You could have one brand of modem that works fine but another of the same brand you have modem issues.

I have used two that worked perfectly. I am on cable not dsl so I can't speak on that. I am with Comcast as well.

-Zoom 5341j

-Tp-link 7610

Right now I am using the TP link and it handles everything like a beast.

I had the 6183 and I would run away from that thing as fast as you can. The ping would spike into the 100's and the only way to resolve the issue was to restart your equipment. It would occur especially handling increased data (i.e. Streaming).

I have used quite a few modems ( my wife can attest to this) and it is not brand specific either. You could have one brand of modem that works fine but another of the same brand you have modem issues.

I have used two that worked perfectly. I am on cable not dsl so I can't speak on that. I am with Comcast as well.

-Zoom 5341j

-Tp-link 7610

I too use cable and am with Time Warner which is pretty much Comcast. I will look into the TP link. Thank you for the suggestion. Any ideas on the Surfboard 6190 though? There was a person who said that one worked well since it could disable the EEE. 

Also am I right too assume that it's the EEE function that causes issue with Netduma? Btw lol I keep for forgetting to ask this. What is EEE exactly? I have come across a few pc definitions for this so I want to make sure I have the right one.

• Netduma Staff

I too use cable and am with Time Warner which is pretty much Comcast. I will look into the TP link. Thank you for the suggestion. Any ideas on the Surfboard 6190 though? There was a person who said that one worked well since it could disable the EEE. 

Also am I right too assume that it's the EEE function that causes issue with Netduma? Btw lol I keep for forgetting to ask this. What is EEE exactly? I have come across a few pc definitions for this so I want to make sure I have the right one.

EEE = Energy Efficient Ethernet :)

EEE can be disabled in newest firmware

Issue with EEE for the motorola ethernet adapter provided is actually resolved as well...there is still an issue with timestamps to non-accepting gateways

-Zoom 5341j

-Tp-link 7610

Any idea whether it's the 7610 or the 7610 E you are using? Or do you know what the difference between the two is? Also are you familiar with the 7620 which is supposedly a faster model?

Any idea whether it's the 7610 or the 7610 E you are using? Or do you know what the difference between the two is? Also are you familiar with the 7620 which is supposedly a faster model?

I believe the 7610 vs 7610-e just has to do with the packaging but the product is still the same.  I purchased the tp-7610 though.  I can not speak on the 7620.  I'm not sure what chip is uses and if it is the same for the 7610 and 7620.  My bandwidth is only 60/15 so the tp-7610 was adequate for me. 

Archived