Modem/Router questions

II MAZE II

I have a few questions regarding my current setup. Here is what I have: TWC - 200DL/20UL. It came with a modem/router, the Arris DG1670. It has 2.4ghz and 5ghz capabilities. My setup is like:

Modem/router>netduma>XB1. Everything else is on wifi through the modem, not the R1. I've DMZ my modem/router. So my questions:

Is there a difference if I disable wifi on the Arris and run it all through the R1?

Will it improve jitter, bufferbloat, etc..?

Will it give me the maximum I can get out of the R1 if everything's running out of it?

How will my gaming experience change?

I got the Duma strictly for gaming. So if there's little to no difference with changing every device to the R1 then maybe just keep what I have? The Arris doesn't have QoS, well I haven't found it if it does...

I'm just wondering if having both is giving off network interferences? And if its better to have one or the other?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

I have a few questions regarding my current setup. Here is what I have: TWC - 200DL/20UL. It came with a modem/router, the Arris DG1670. It has 2.4ghz and 5ghz capabilities. My setup is like:

Modem/router>netduma>XB1. Everything else is on wifi through the modem, not the R1. I've DMZ my modem/router. So my questions:

Is there a difference if I disable wifi on the Arris and run it all through the R1?

Will it give me the maximum I can get out of the R1 if everything's running out of it?

I got the Duma strictly for gaming. So if there's little to no difference with changing every device to the R1 then maybe just keep what I have? The Arris doesn't have QoS, well I haven't found it if it does...

I'm just wondering if having both is giving off network interferences? And if its better to have one or the other?

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Yes it allows you to use the congestion control so other people on your house can't ruin your gaming experience. One of the main benefits of the router.

Yes, since jitter can be cause by other people hogging the bandwidth.

The wifi might not be as fast as the ISP modem if you're using the 5ghz on it since the duma doesn't have 5ghz

Again, other people won't make your connection lag due to congestion on your local network... This won't effect the game at all though, so if the sever sucks it will still lag for you no matter what.

• Administrators

Hey MoD has answered this pretty well! Connecting all devices to the duma enables you to make use of the congestion control features to ensure the cause of lag is never on your end, combine that with the Geo-filter and you're golden! :)

Thanks guys! Every device is running through the Dum now and it's A lot better. (Smoother) although sometimes I get the infinite loading on CC and Geo page. ( sometimes) it seemed to happen with the V2 theme installed. Back to default theme and all is well again. :/

Put your bandwidth figures into the duma then set the congestion control sliders to 70% for what i think is the optimal setting to stop local congestion.

• Administrators

Thanks guys! Every device is running through the Dum now and it's A lot better. (Smoother) although sometimes I get the infinite loading on CC and Geo page. ( sometimes) it seemed to happen with the V2 theme installed. Back to default theme and all is well again. :/

Okay interesting, thanks for the heads up on that, may be an issue with the theme then. Will look into it.

Archived