Not able to get full speeds

I am having problems with the Netduma not allowing my full bandwidth, and have checked everything that I have read in the wiki and on the forums.

I am located in Florida and have Comcast Xfinity, at 105 down / 25 up. I have a Arris TG862G/CT modem and ASUS RT-87U along with the Netduma.

I originally had the setup as follows: Modem -> Netduma (in port 1 of modem, static IP, in DMZ) -> ASUS (with the ASUS in access point mode, and the Netduma wifi and modem wifi turned off). If I run a speed test connected to the ASUS, I would only pull 45-60 down, and around 20 up via wifi. If I hardwire to the ASUS, it was the same. If I hardwire to the Netduma, it was the same. If I hardwire to the modem, I get my correct speeds (usually 120+ down and 25 up).

So, right now, I have the ASUS in port 1 of the modem (swapped to see if it was a port issue), and the Netduma in port 2 (still static IP and in DMZ). I will get the full speeds on the ASUS, and only 45-60 down, and around 20 up on the Netduma. My XBOX is the only device connected to the Netduma now and my NAT is open on XBOX live and COD: BO3.

I setup the Netduma according to the forum/wiki, and have the download/upload caps at 100%, and tried preemptive and reactive (currently on reactive) with no change in speeds. I have reset the Netduma to factory settings to see if maybe I changed something I didn't realize, and it is still the same.

I have tried bridge mode, but currently it is not in bridge mode so I can have the Netduma and the Asus connected to the modem, since putting it in bridge mode only leaves port 1 active. I have not messed with the firewall on the TG862 - I will do that tonight.

I am on the latest firmware, and the bandwidth is correct inside the Netduma, and turbo mode is selected under misc settings.

If you aren't getting your full speeds through either router then it's an issue with your modem or something between the modem and routers more than likely.

I have the same Comcast plan, I've had the same modem before and I just plug in my router and the speed is what I pay for.

You misunderstood, I do get full speed through the Asus, just not the Netduma.

Asus is connected to port 1 on modem, Netduma on port 2. Have tried Netduma on port 1, and Asus on port 2, and the results are the same. Asus is DHCP in modem, and Netduma is static IP and in the modem DMZ. 

Firewall on modem is off, turbo mode on Netduma is ticked, correct speeds are in Netduma and CC is 100% up/down. Nothing else is connected to the Netduma (except when I connect a laptop to get into the router settings).

I had a very similar issue in that I wasn't achieving ull access speeds with NetdumaR1 initially.  I also use a TG8262G with Comcast here in Texas feeding an Apple time capsule as my main router which does achieve top speeds of 175mb /12mb.  My time capsule sets the Netduma as the DMZ host and in this configuration I can get up to about 125mb/10mb with turbo mode on.  With Super Turbo mode on I am able to get full speeds 175mb/12mb.......which is something new as I just tried this.  However I had to adjust my bandwidth settings to 200mb/15mb to get that.....not sure what's happening with this setting in the big scheme of things. One of the keys for me was to make sure that I had "share excess" ticked in the Congestion Control settings so you don't limit bandwidth of your devices.  This works well if you're using this as a whole network routing and throttling system.  I would like to see the ability to share or limit access bandwidth to individual devices to provide more flexibility in overall network allocation but that's a different topic.  Hope this helps someone.

That is how it was before, and it did the same thing. The only reason the netduma is in port 2 is because I moved it during troubleshooting.

edit: Just to try everything, I disconnected the Asus from the modem, connected the netduma to port 1 on the modem, and I get the same results (just ran a speedtest at 22ms ping, 42.48 Mbps down, 17.77 up)

Ahh okay, this makes more sense now. You need to setup as follows modem port 1 to R1 port 1 and ASUS to R1 port 2. Then connect all devices to duma or Asus.

I have already one that, but just for shits and giggles (and to follow all the advice from you), I did it again. Same result. The setup had the Netduma connected to P1 on the Modem, and the Xbox One was connected to the Netduma P2 and the Asus was connected to the Netduma P3. All devices from the Netduma, to the Xbox to the Asus received the same speeds - around 50 Mbps down and 20 up.

If I connect to the modem, I get the full speeds of over 105 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up. This leads me to believe that it is something that is with the Netduma. 

I tried different cat 5e cables from the modem to the netduma - no change.

I tried different ports on the modem - no change.

I reset the netduma to factory settings - no change. 

The Xbox connected to the modem - full speeds.

Asus connected to the modem - full speeds. 

The netduma and anything connected to it, via wifi or hardwired, has slower speeds. 

I really do not know what to do. I have checked everything I can think of to check. I have moved things, changed cables and reset devices, and nothing has changed. I do not feel like my gameplay is affected, but I want to use the router as it is intended to be used (with Asus as an access point) to manage all my devices, but with the slowed down speeds, I just cant do that. 

i had the same problem as you

i have changed the cables to cat 6

no result

then i tried to use the duma as an AP and use my asus as main reouter

isp>asus>duma as AP (disable DHCP)

then speed test asus got full speed

then i test the duma i got full speed

then i factory reset duma and used it as main router 

isp>duma> asus as AP

and i got full speed now

i don't know why or how but that what happen to me and now i have my full speed on my duma and asus

• Administrators

Try the following:

• 100% anti-flood
  • Reactive algorithm
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation & apply
  • IPv6 off in WAN, LAN and misc settings
  • Deep packet off in misc settings
  • Ensure Cat5e at least cable from PC to duma and do a speed test. Try it on different servers around you to rule out any overloaded servers.
  • If you still fail to get your speeds enable turbo mode in misc settings as well.

Try the following:

• 100% anti-flood
  • Reactive algorithm
  • Share excess enabled
  • Reset device prioritisation & apply
  • IPv6 off in WAN, LAN and misc settings
  • Deep packet off in misc settings
  • Ensure Cat5e at least cable from PC to duma and do a speed test. Try it on different servers around you to rule out any overloaded servers.
  • If you still fail to get your speeds enable turbo mode in misc settings as well.

Tried all of that, rebooted Netduma - no change. 

The speeds are obviously good enough to just play games with, but I don't feel like it is sufficient enough to have my entire household on the network managed by the Netduma, which is clearly the most efficient way to have it connected.

I have seen other posts in the forum with the same issue, so it does not seem like it is isolated to just my unit.  

Hey Formula,

Other than not getting your full speeds are you getting any other issues, like with lag or spiking in game? Just curious cause it feels like I am in a similar position yet I am only getting poor pings and lag spikes and have no clue what is causing it and had little to no assistance at all.

• Administrators

The issues with speed are usually due to settings, failing that the issue is with the cables being used. Post over in the request 1 on 1 section after reading the pinned thread and I can take a look. 

Hey Formula,

Other than not getting your full speeds are you getting any other issues, like with lag or spiking in game? Just curious cause it feels like I am in a similar position yet I am only getting poor pings and lag spikes and have no clue what is causing it and had little to no assistance at all.

Hey I've just responded to your thread I believe :)

The issues with speed are usually due to settings, failing that the issue is with the cables being used. Post over in the request 1 on 1 section after reading the pinned thread and I can take a look. 

Hey I've just responded to your thread I believe :)

Luckily, it seems as though it will not be necessary.

I have no explanation, but I got frustrated and unplugged it all, reconnected it with modem->netduma->asus (in AP mode), and it is working. I used the same cables, did not update/reset any of the equipment or change any settings, and it works. Not sure why, but it does and that is enough for me. Hopefully it stays that way!

• Administrators

Luckily, it seems as though it will not be necessary.

I have no explanation, but I got frustrated and unplugged it all, reconnected it with modem->netduma->asus (in AP mode), and it is working. I used the same cables, did not update/reset any of the equipment or change any settings, and it works. Not sure why, but it does and that is enough for me. Hopefully it stays that way!

Great to hear its fine again! :)

I have the same problem. Full speed with TP Link with the Netduma i get only 30/7 from 70/7.

Could you make a separate thread in future please regarding your issues.

Put speeds into bandwidth settings and allow it to auto apply.

Archived