Whats Going On

Guest Netduma_Iain

Now this is gonna sound a little silly, but I've never used that tool. It was other people on here that introduced me to it.

If I understand the UI correctly the graph at the bottom of the screen is your actual pings. You can see its quite spikey. Can you or someone else confirm that is the case?

If so the next step is try do this over a longer period. So save the picture on different days. If you have a period when no one is in the house, can you try running it then as well. Lets try figure out if those spikes are caused by others or are inherently part of your connection.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hop 4 and 6 and occasionally hop 5  ii.net servers it could be them just not responding to pings as they sometimes are set not to be a priority but if your having troubles then these might be the cause.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Zennon, I usally look at he last hop and only if that is having problems do I consider prior hops. As you said they can be low priority. 

Yeah i know clutching at straws here Iain haha :)

Doing tests at diff times of the day or leaving it to run day and night to see if it is caused by something like isp congestion at peak times would be a good move like Iain suggests :)

Yeah i know clutching at straws here Iain haha :)

Doing tests at diff times of the day or leaving it to run day and night to see if it is caused by something like isp congestion at peak times would be a good move like Iain suggests :)

Ok doing the test now. Will let it go for 24hrs then i will post the image. Hopefully someone will be able to tell me whats going on.

Ok so i finally done my 24hr test using ping plotter. And im wondering if anyone can have a look at it for me, to see what my connection and ping is like. Id like some expert advise before contacting my isp as ive been having heaps of issue lately. so thought id get a opinion before contacting them. 

This is straight to my isp website

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1426220969-U841.png

This is to 8.8.8.8

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1426221105-U841.png

Guest Netduma_Iain

I think pics 2 & 3 are the same.

I haven't used pingplotter, so I'd recommend waiting for someone else to comment. But you can see spikes in the first picture at the bottom graph. Also in the second graph there is a period of spikes but its much smoother the rest of the day.

So if you do further tests I recommend using google as they look really stable. So it would likely only be your connection to them causing the spikes. Anyway like I said it looks much better for google although you do have a spikey patch in the middle. Could that be someone downloading/uploading at your house?

Haha I didn't see that pic 2 and 3 are the same. No one was downloading or uploading. I told my gf I was doing test to find out what's wrong with my connection. Bit I think she used YouTube a little bit for her schooling work but other that that nothing else was downloaded or uploaded. Btw Iain will wait for someone else to see what's going on. Cheers for a look anyways :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

No probs Clinton92

Also when you see a period of no spikes to 8.8.8.8 please jump on the game and tell me if its feels better. If so that wil confirm the spikes were the issue. Cheers! 

Can you try something ridiculous like playing at 4am when everyone is asleep? 

No probs Clinton92

Also when you see a period of no spikes to 8.8.8.8 please jump on the game and tell me if its feels better. If so that wil confirm the spikes were the issue. Cheers! 

Can you try something ridiculous like playing at 4am when everyone is asleep?

Hey hey Iain thats abit late mate, ill be out cold by then :) But will give it a try thought out the week sometime. Need plenty of energy drinks that night lol.

Guest Netduma_Iain

lol just anytime you don't think anyone at home and more importantly neighbours won't be using the Internet. So maybe 11am on a weekday as well could do

Ok so i finally done my 24hr test using ping plotter. And im wondering if anyone can have a look at it for me, to see what my connection and ping is like. Id like some expert advise before contacting my isp as ive been having heaps of issue lately. so thought id get a opinion before contacting them. 

This is to 8.8.8.8

Can anyone help me out. 

There is definitely some ping spike's there they might be just the hop not set to have high priority for pings though , you would be better off using...

cmd

ping 8.8.8.8 -n 200    

At different times of the day as it just shows the complete ping time not the hops which can sometimes be misleading.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Good point Zennon, but thats why I focused on the bottom graph which I assume is the same as just pinging 8.8.8.8

This is to 8.8.8.8

These don't looks like anything crazy to me, remember that ISP nodes don't respond to pings with a high level of priority.  This means you will normally get slow pings and high jitter to these systems.

Read up on this here: http://www.pingtest.net/help.php

i'd just run some pingtest.net and make an account since it will store the results.

Ok so my isp has been monitoring my connection for 24hrs. And they are not happy with what they are seeing, ping spikes up to 400ms  :o. So now they have sent off a request to change my port as of the high ping and packet loss. Now its a waiting game to see how long until the port is swapped. As soon as the confirmation comes threw for the port swap hopefully my issue is resolved. Also thanks to everyone for there opinions and help, will update as soon as i find out more.

Good to hear the 400ms pings were not in the screen shots or we would of told you hey thats whats up.

Glad you are getting it sorted a lot of i.s.p do not care as long as you are getting decent speeds so thats great :)

Ok so my isp has been monitoring my connection for 24hrs. And they are not happy with what they are seeing, ping spikes up to 400ms  :o. So now they have sent off a request to change my port as of the high ping and packet loss. Now its a waiting game to see how long until the port is swapped. As soon as the confirmation comes threw for the port swap hopefully my issue is resolved. Also thanks to everyone for there opinions and help, will update as soon as i find out more.

Hopefully they are switching you to the other switch at the same time, as a different port on the same switch will solve nothing.

just a quick update. Isp contacted me yesterday saying the request is in its final stages. But they wanna get more proof that it is a occurring problem. As the port rebuild or changing me over to new equipment is quiet a expensive procedure to do. So i have been running ping plotter for the last 12hrs for my own testing and proof. And sure enough spikes up to 470ms and twice ive have gotten 100% packet loss. Also they are still monitoring my connection as well hopefully i will be able to, hand over enough. Information from my own testing to get this situation sorted out for good. Will update again once i have more info

Good luck in getting this resolved. The ISP seems to be well engaged in helping you with which can be the biggest hurdle to overcome. Hopefully in short order they will have you back to normal!

• 4 weeks later...

So i finally had tech come out on sunday. And it seemed to be a line fault, So now i have been changed over to a new line. All seems to running good so far fingers crossed. Also i have noticed on the r1 that my cloud settings have changed from being on all 1 now to 2 ?. 

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1428966998-U841.jpg

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok great stuff Clinton, hope its all sorted now.

You can ignore the cloud settings when autocloud is ticked :) 

Archived