OS X Server VPN - L2TP Issues with Reactive Anti-flood

Hi,

I have just purchased the Netduma router, just out the box this morning. I primarily purchased it for its congestion management as I run a Plex server on an OS X Mac mini, which when someone starts to stream remotely can cause immediate issues with lag in gaming on the two Xbox One's within the house. I'm hoping the congestion management in the netduma will help with this, but I've yet to test. I also need to be able to connect to my home network remotely to manage (through their web interfaces) various programs that run on the local network.

I have had an L2TP VPN server set up quite happily for a while under my old Netgear nighthawk router, using the OS X Server software. I set up the Netduma today, and I've noted the VPN will no longer work when the router's Anti-flood is set to "Reactive". Changing it to "Preemptive" however allows the VPN connection to work immediately. Unfortunately, switching to preemptive also cuts my download speeds down to less than half of their capability.

My current setup is Modem --> Netduma R1 (no wifi) ---> all wired devices, and also nighthawk in AP-mode for wifi.

Can someone please suggest what my options are here? Please note I'm certainly no networking expert, it took me a reasonable amount of time to research getting the OS X Server VPN set up in the first place. I'm confident that the VPN is set up correctly and relevant ports are forwarded given I'm able to connect fine when in "Preemptive" mode, but I'm simply not willing to sacrifice over half the bandwidth I'm paying for. Hopefully there's something I can do, as having no VPN access, or VPN access with halved speeds are both deal-breakers for me - hoping I haven't wasted my money here!

*edit - missed my netduma version number out: 1.03.6g. Note also that I did a quick search of the forum, only related thread was with regards to ipsec handshaking which I think may be the same kind of issue, but wasn't sure so created a new post.

Thanks in advance,

NeeWii

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum. 

As you have already seen there is a post with a similar issue. I believe Iain commented on that as well. As far as I know I don't think it works with reactive. I'll show Iain this thread and see if it is something we can look into. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

If your modem has multiple ports do this

Modem -> OS X Server machine

-> Netduma -> all wired devices & Nighthawk in AP mode

If not purchase a cheap switch (make sure it's faster than your modems speed or it will limit it ) and do:

Modem -> Switch -> OS X Server machine

-> Netduma -> all wired devices & Nighthawk in AP mode

The only down side of this is that the OS X Server maching bypasses the congestion control of the Netduma. If it doesn't download/upload heavily you should be fine.

I don't know why running VPN server doesn't work with reactive algorithm, it's on my todo list but that is pretty large at the moment. Hopefully this temporary solutions works for you.

Thanks for the response Iain.

Congestion control is the main reason I purchased the Netduma - I have a Plex server that runs on the same OS X VPN Server Machine, and as soon as someone starts streaming Plex chews up all available upload and causes really problems with gaming on the Xbox. The Netduma, as far as I've been able to tell, has done a remarkably good job of allowing everything to work all at once using Device Prioritisation.

I'll stick with the setup as-is for now. I have a temporary workaround of connecting to the server using TeamViewer, opening Netduma settings and changing to pre-emptive and then accessing the VPN - not ideal but it'll do in a pinch. If you do ever get the chance to look at getting L2TP VPN fixed that'd be greatly appreciated of course.

Archived