New user - wireless devices can still ruin my ping.

Hello,

Received my R1 last week. Been testing since and I've found my wireless devices can still trip my ping up to 500 spikes.

I have both sliders on the congestion page set at 70% and preemptive. Setup cs go and dota 2 in hyper traffic for my desktop.

I keep trying to set my bandwidth but I get the pop up with "WARNING" and an OK button.

I have an ADSL connection at 2.9mb down, 0.7mb up.

I am the only machine in the house using Ethernet. Everyone else is wireless.

With those speeds you cant really expect to have a decent gaming experience if anyone is doing almost anything on other devices while you are playing.  You could try dropping your upload slider just a bit more to reduce bufferbloat and ping spikes, but really you simply do not have enough bandwith to share.

With those speeds you cant really expect to have a decent gaming experience if anyone is doing almost anything on other devices while you are playing.  You could try dropping your upload slider just a bit more to reduce bufferbloat and ping spikes, but really you simply do not have enough bandwith to share.

Exactly what he said... That is not enough speed to provide a stable gaming experience while someone else is using the connection for anything at all.

My friend tried playing PS4 on DSL which was .5mbps down and .5mbps up and if he was home alone the connection was fine but as soon as someone connected to the network he had 900ms ping.

The only thing you could possibly try to do is set everyone's device to a low number on the Device Prioritization "web" ,except for your computer, and uncheck share excess. This will limit their bandwidth and give you most of it, but it still might not be enough to matter.

• Netduma Staff

Hey Roozor, welcome to the forum :)

Don't worry about the warning message - I think that's just a bug. Try setting device prioritisation to 50% up and down to your gaming device. If you can, also uncheck share excess. Also make sure you are on the latest version (1.03.6).

• Administrators

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try setting device prio to 50 % up and down on my gaming pc. Should I leave congestion at 100% if i'm doing this?

Leaving at 100% won't eliminate any congestion. So would keep at 70/70 or experiment with anything less than 100.

Are all wireless devices connected to the R1? Ensure your ISP hub wifi is off so they don't automatically connect to it by accident.

Little update - Seems to have solved. I had to be very aggressive with the device prio. Gave my pc 80% up and down with share excess on.

Had 2 ipads and an Iphone updating and still managed to get a 68 stable ping in cs go.

Archived