Possible fix for lag comp/bufferbloat

RoyDavis77

Hi guys, I have been doing some testing on black ops 3 using a custom Linux router (openwrt), by tweaking the queues of all router interfaces using pfifo queuing managment, limiting each queue to 3 packet length drastically improved my online experience.

I'm finding that most games im finishing top of the leaderboard, with a kd of 2.89 at present.  If something like this can be implemented with netduma i'm sure the results would be even better.

The only conclusion i can come to is that the majority of problems in online FPS games is in fact caused by bufferbloat, throttling my upload made little to no difference.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds great, I cant believe the difference between the standard queue size and the limited, one of the main things I noticed is it stop the shoot first and die (bullet spongers), I also actually had time to shoot someone without the insta-death BS.

What was your bufferbloat rating before and after you applied this tweak?  Usually with congestion control at about 70% up and down and the preemptive algorithm (which I believe uses the Fq_Codel algorithm which is considered the best intervention to address bufferbloat), most people can achieve A or A+ on dslreports.com/speedtest.  Do you think your tweak is adding anything useful above and beyond for someone already achieving an A rating on Bufferbloat?

Hi guys, I have been doing some testing on black ops 3 using a custom Linux router (openwrt), by tweaking the queues of all router interfaces using pfifo queuing managment, limiting each queue to 3 packet length drastically improved my online experience.

I'm finding that most games im finishing top of the leaderboard, with a kd of 2.89 at present. If something like this can be implemented with netduma i'm sure the results would be even better.

The only conclusion i can come to is that the majority of problems in online FPS games is in fact caused by bufferbloat, throttling my upload mad little to no difference.

I don't know about this...

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root pfifo limit 3

What router are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Mikrotik RouterOS?

When I use the pfifo queue management I get A+, A+ and B on dsl reports speed test, I am using openwrt chaos calmer on a D-Link DGL5500 gaming router.

I cannot get the consistent games on my netduma that I can using openwrt, even though my BB results are pretty much the same using netduma.

Another thing to mention is with the pfifo qdisc I don't need to use lower speeds to achieve good BB results, FYI i'm on sky fibre pro 80 down 20 up with an 8ms ping to 8.8.8.8.

If you have installed an OpenWrt version on your router, it would be interesting to compare your pfifo results from what you see with the fq_codel package from SQM-QoS.

If you're not familiar with it, there's a Howto that describes the installation at: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm

And also check out "What to do about Bufferbloat" at http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/What_to_do_about_Bufferbloat

The OP's results makes sense (in theory) because the Activision servers are asynchronous which means they receive data at a faster rate than sending it.

So, by tweaking (limiting?) the packet que, what this is doing is lowering the amount of data the server has going to it which helps prioritize those packets to a smaller amount the server can process given the low tick rates (30Hz) and then send back (at the default lower rate they are set to)?

This also makes sense why people with bad (high ping; BB) connections actually have a better time in this game as opposed to those who have better connections. Add in the lag compensation that favors players with bad connections and it all falls into place, somewhat.

I am just spitballing, but everything in this scenario sounds logical given what we know about the Activision sever infrastructure.

If you have installed an OpenWrt version on your router, it would be interesting to compare your pfifo results from what you see with the fq_codel package from SQM-QoS.

If you're not familiar with it, there's a Howto that describes the installation at: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/sqm

And also check out "What to do about Bufferbloat" at http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/What_to_do_about_Bufferbloat

Wow, I took your advice and implemented sqm to the wan interface, I kept pfifo qdisc for lan Ethernet and wireless and the game plays even better, I had a really bad lobby where evryones ping was going up and down and still managed 36 -6, even melting shot gunners lol, think we may be on to something here, thanks for the advice.

Cant say as im nearly always on a dedi, but having said that, I have noticed on a few occasions that the game has an e which is suppose to mean that you are on a dedi but the netduma shows a p2p host, wonder if Treyarch tweaked it so we wouldn't know either way?

Cant say as im nearly always on a dedi, but having said that, I have noticed on a few occasions that the game has an e which is suppose to mean that you are on a dedi but the netduma shows a p2p host, wonder if Treyarch tweaked it so we wouldn't know either way?

I had a feeling they may had...

I sent you a private message, something on my mind I wanted to check with you...

Can anybody link me to the 2 routers in convo?

You can use any router that supports openwrt Linux, which is a custom firmware that gives you extra tweaks eg various types of queue management, marking packets for prioritisation, limiting traffic, etc.

There is also another type of custom firmware called DD-WRT but I prefer openwrt.

Anyway to tweak this kind of thing on my router? (DSL-AC68U).

Very interesting...

EDIT: Doesn't seem like it, trying to work out if my old router is compatible with open wrt

Not well versed in this, if i get any cheap router compatible with openwrt i will be able to do the same?

So what's the difference between fq_codel, AQM, and what you did? Netduma already has fq_codel afaik.

I think because with openwrt you can reduce the queue lengths on the lan side interfaces it eliminates the delay of the standard queue length, also using luci qos app to prioritise cods port (3074 udp) helps a lot.

4 days in and its still working, even on a double XP weekend lol, I think my worst game so far was 28 - 7 on skyjacked, mostly 30 kills plus games, one downside to this is I now get all the noobs on my team.

Just had a 49 - 9 with two wraiths :) something ive just noticed is when I kill an enemy a team mate will shoot at where they were a couple of seconds later? could that be the delay caused by packet queuing?

I will give it a shot on a WR941ND soon.

You think it works in P2P?

Sorry, I have yet to play on a p2p host with this tweak at present so I couldn't tell you one way or the other, however I have noticed that the dedis seem require a certain amount of bandwidth, if the upload and download are throttled significantly then you seem to get a p2p host.

Archived